Let Deutsche Welle know!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I dont know what to tell ya but I do have one comment on how you keep those dishes put

I thought mine were ghetto with the sandbag on the 2x6 that goes across the bottom of the dish...yours top that ;)

Sandbags aren't a bad idea. :) For my 1.8m I used cinder blocks as weights. It's on top of a wooden pallet. It's been there for 3 years, and now NASA TV lights up. :/
The 2.4m was originally on a smaller pallet with more weight. Apparently it wasn't enough because this happened:
View attachment 72456
So I put more weight on it. I used slate rocks and some large boulders I've found. I elevated it with a large wooden box from work, with wooden beams inside it for support. I also put in a guy wire just in case it goes tumbling down the ravine that they are on the edge of. Just look at my signal ever since NASA TV lit up:
View attachment 72457
Shame...

It looks like you have the feed incorrectly centered on the dish. Maybe your az & el were off on them and you just wound up adj to hit the 1 bird. Do they make polar mounts for these dishes?

The elevation is spot on, and even when the feed was centered, no matter where it was, I couldn't get a strong enough signal. I don't really know what went wrong and why it is the way it is, so I keep the feed where it is. From adjusting it as much as I did the weak arms that came with it got too weak at the ends so I used some metal conduit as a replacement. It works much better than the original arms. Both do look pretty ghetto, but the signals are nice and strong, except for when it rained DW-TV would go blocky on the 1.8m. They do make polar mounts, but if you are going to get a dish with a polar mount, I'd suggest a good commercial dish antenna. The reason why I don't use one is because they are too heavy, and would need too much weight to hold them down.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)