Let's step this forum topic up.

Comptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Travelers Rest SC
I am tired of old hams owning radio reference. They think they are gods. The owner is fine and a bunch of people are fine. but there are a few who just have to dominate that are are smarter the you. Prime example is a post I made today on RR and the response. Read the rsponce and see if you see anything wrong with it. Travelers Rest Police new channel

Scott, can we widen this forum into topics such as hardware and different listening such as HF and public safety and aircraft? Software decoding 100 percent legal and scanners.. It just another aspect of what's up there.

Can't stand control freak people who jumps like apes sh*t!:p

Just prefer down to earth people and besides nobody is perfect in this day and ages.

Think of IDIC!;)

Yes, the other guy was being a douche bag, but trolls are like that. Their biggest thrill is to get a reaction out of you. It worked. I think you would have been better off if you had stopped after posting #3. Just my opinion.

Yes, the other guy was being a douche bag, but trolls are like that. Their biggest thrill is to get a reaction out of you. It worked. I think you would have been better off if you had stopped after posting #3. Just my opinion.
I agree, post 3 spells it out for everyone and if it stopped there you win. But the subsequent posts start looking a little neurotic which supplies ammunition for post #14. This brings up lyrics from an old stupid song but they ring true here, "you gotta know when to hold um, then know when to fold um". But then, I'm an old ham who thinks his poop doesn't stink.

Reactions: KE4EST and N6BY
I will have to get a general license. apparently it makes you smarter and almighty.
It doesn't, it just means that you can memorize some things in a book and fill in the correct bubbles on a test form. Why not go all the way and get an 'Extra' license? I got mine about 7 years ago because I knew that the older I got, the harder it would be. I didn't even have to know morse code. Now I am 64 and I think my memory is full.

Reactions: Comptech
I will have to get a general license. apparently it makes you smarter and almighty.
Many if not most people these days cram and pass the Amateur Extra exam but they don't remember a thing about the test or can't explain anything technical about any topic on the test. That's sad but its how the world works these days.

For me amateur radio drew me in because I already had an interest in electronics, especially RF and also worked in the 2-way radio business well before applying for an amateur license. I really wish more hams would practice and learn the art rather than just buy a radio and become an appliance operator sometimes needing a friend to come show them what all the buttons do on the radio.

I would highly recommend hooking up with a mentor (Elmer in ham talk) and have them download lots of radio and antenna stuff into your head and I believe you will get much more out of the hobby experimenting and having fun.

All that experimenting and building ham stuff also had a huge positive impact on my technical career and several of my ham radio mentors helped me on some projects while working at DirecTV with one leading to my name on several patents. Oops, the cats out of the bag now! Ah, well, kudos to my friends Mitch, Chip and especially Bart, now SK.

Many if not most people these days cram and pass the Amateur Extra exam but they don't remember a thing about the test or can't explain anything technical about any topic on the test. That's sad but its how the world works these days.

For me amateur radio drew me in because I already had an interest in electronics, especially RF and also worked in the 2-way radio business well before applying for an amateur license. I really wish more hams would practice and learn the art rather than just buy a radio and become an appliance operator sometimes needing a friend to come show them what all the buttons do on the radio.

I would highly recommend hooking up with a mentor (Elmer in ham talk) and have them download lots of radio and antenna stuff into your head and I believe you will get much more out of the hobby experimenting and having fun.

All that experimenting and building ham stuff also had a huge positive impact on my technical career and several of my ham radio mentors helped me on some projects while working at DirecTV with one leading to my name on several patents. Oops, the cats out of the bag now! Ah, well, kudos to my friends Mitch, Chip and especially Bart, now SK.
Exactly. I aced the Extra test (100%), but don't remember most of it now, 8 years later.

What I do remember is that most of the stuff is irrelevant. I don't need to know it unless I plan on designing and building a Ham Transceiver. However, I am more familiar with the terminology and know where to lookup something if I should ever need it.

Not long after I passed the Extra test I wrote an SDR Program named 'DR Processor'. I learned a LOT more writing that program than studying for the Extra test.

But like I said before, the only reason I got my Extra license was in case I wanted it much later in life, but lacked the ability to cram so much. Not sure I could pass it now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)