Letter from dish - MUST UPGRADE OR LOSE SERVICE

So if the 522 goes bad after the first year ( after warranty expires ) then I have to pay Dish Network to fix it if something goes wrong with it unless I pay them another $5.99 per month for the warranty?

So if the 522 goes bad after the first year ( after warranty expires ) then I have to pay Dish Network to fix it if something goes wrong with it unless I pay them another $5.99 per month for the warranty?
Yep.

Think of it as a leased car. You are still responsible for the gas, insurance, maintenance, etc., if you lease a car. Same thing here. If the receiver fails while you have it in your keeping, you're responsible to Dish Network for the repairs.

IMHO yes, as was the 721 from the 7200, IMHO. Except that it has dual tuners.

I have to disagree. As a former 721 and 625 (almost the same as a 522) owner, the 522 is an UPGRADE: Powering 2nd TV for independent experience in dual mode, Name Based Recording, 150 hours DVR capacity, fast reaction to commands, far more reliable than the 721, in general. Picture-in-Picture is available in Single mode. TV2 in dual mode can be used to transfer video to a recording device while watching separate video on TV1 or the other way around. Sadly, there are no games on the 522,

I got the same letter..talked to CS people...then asked to talk to a customer retention person.

I got my 7200 upgraded to a 625 (so I now have a dual tuner), with no PVR fee, no lease fee, no 24-month committment and no phone hookup required.
(we've been with dish for 8 years).

What did CS offer to swap for the 7200 before going to retention?

I think the original offer was for a 508. If I wanted a 625, it was going to cost me a $75 fee and I would be subject to dvr and lease fees.

OK, so now Dish Network is subjecting me to be responsible for damage caused to a satellite receiver that I do not own that they want to give me in exchange for one that I did own in which if it got damaged, I do not have to pay them for it but can just deactivate it. Sounds like another way for them to get my money. I also do not know whether to trust the reliability of the DVR (or any of their receivers) enough to maintain responsibility of THEIR equipment. The cable companies do not make you responsible for THEIR equipment. This is something Dish Network is going to have to bite the bullet on if they want to REALLY be competitive against cable. I imagine most people that have a leased system from Dish Network think that Dish Network will replace it if something goes wrong with it while many others think they own it. A lot of people will just tell Dish Network to shove it if something goes wrong with the equipment and switch to cable or DirecTv.

Little slip of the typing fingers there? :p

Sounds like a Freudian Slip to me!

Just wait until they start swapping all legacy receivers. The 3900 will be replaced by a 381, which is really just an 811 that was replaced by a remanufactured 211 that was in someone else's home before. The 3900 will probably be sold to BEV or on the European FTA market. So an owned receiver will be replaced by used junk you have to lease that was originally owned by someone else who now has to lease their receiver and your receiver that you owned will now be sold out of the country. Someone will probably then buy it and hack it and ship it back to the USA for an enormous profit.

If you bought a receiver and own it then you can sell it if you switch providers. If the receiver you have is leased then you cannot sell it. If your receiver burns up in a fire or something happens to it then all of a sudden Dish Network is going to want money for a replacement. Also I heard a while back that you have to purchase the $5.99 per month insurance to cover even your leased receivers or you are responsible for repair/replacement if something goes wrong with it. Is this true? If so then that is a disadvantage to leasing and they have now found a way to get another $5.99 per month out of you to cover the cost of damage to the receiver or to get money out of you to fix a receiver that you should own (that you bought to begin with before they swapped it out).

Receivers usually outlast their usefullness, meaning they are usually obsolete and replaced by Dish before they breakdown.

And most cableco boxes are cheap junk, leased for many many years, often decades. They're a big profit center for them.

discontinued, receivers

having dropped my service sevral months back, due to what (They are calling an economic down turn ).I thought I'd better call and confirm what I've read here and else where in regards to soon to be obsolete receivers, here what I was told in a live chat with E online:

response to my question about replacement of my owned 811 & dishplayer 7100:

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
You have been connected to (03) Grace W.
(03) Grace W: Thank you for choosing Dish Network the leader in DVR and HD. I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
Randy : ok.
(03) Grace W: Thank you.
(03) Grace W: Thank you for your patience.
(03) Grace W: If you do not want to lease the receiver than the only option is you can purchase the HD receiver.
Currently experiencing network delays, one moment please....
Network connection re-established.
Randy : Do you mean I will have to buy a new one to receive programming?
(03) Grace W: Yes.
(03) Grace W: You can get the programming with the receivers that you have on your account.
(03) Grace W: To get the HD programming you have to add new HD receiver.
Randy : I read where they are to be discontinued.
Randy : the 811&7100
(03) Grace W: I am sorry, I did not understand.
(03) Grace W: You can restart the services with the receivers that you have on your account.
(03) Grace W: Do you have the equipment?
Randy : because of the switch over to new encoding.
Randy : my old equipment will be obsolete?
Randy : Thanks for your help
(03) Grace W: Is there another issue that I may assist you with?
(03) Grace W: You're very welcome.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.
:confused:

But, if you own the receiver, who would pay to fix it ? You would.

But at least you would then have the choice as to whether or not you wanted to repair the receiver or just do without it and have the choice as to whether you wanted to go on ebay and buy a cheap replacement vs. forced to pay what Dish Network wants you to pay for it (around $300 retail) if it burns up in a fire, gets flooded, gets stolen, etc.

record_breaker2004, they are forcing those that own their receivers to now lease them or lose programming on those receivers after all the money some people have put into their receivers.

While I understand the point some have made about it should not make a difference in whether you own or lease your receiver since you will not need it if you were to leave the company and that they are offering an upgrade, and has no advantage, I believe that someone that bought a new receiver should have it replaced with an owned receiver, not a leased one, because there are reasons why some people bought their receivers to begin with.

Some say that Dish Network did not have to give us an offer but we also do not have to continue being their customer either.

Dish Network has put their foot down and is saying take it or leave it and I was oh so close to leaving it and filing complaints but they gave me another deal plus an email promising never to be charged the DVR and additional outlet fee on the second tuner on the 522. The deal I got was the same deal a friend of mine got offered as well that has had DirecTv for a while and did not have to go through the hassle to get his deal. To me that tells me that Dish Network does not want my business that bad and when my 24 month commitment is up they are going to have to fight very very hard to keep my business if DirecTv still has a good offer for new customers at that time.

I know that Dish Network has certain promotions to keep their current customers happy but I feel that the customer service itself is going downhill along with the attitudes of their customer service personell and their lack of willing to handle/fix situations. Not only that but they are lying to me and others about different things lately.

record_breaker2004, they are forcing those that own their receivers to now lease them or lose programming on those receivers after all the money some people have put into their receivers.

While I understand the point some have made about it should not make a difference in whether you own or lease your receiver since you will not need it if you were to leave the company and that they are offering an upgrade, and has no advantage, I believe that someone that bought a new receiver should have it replaced with an owned receiver, not a leased one, because there are reasons why some people bought their receivers to begin with.

Some say that Dish Network did not have to give us an offer but we also do not have to continue being their customer either.

Dish Network has put their foot down and is saying take it or leave it and I was oh so close to leaving it and filing complaints but they gave me another deal plus an email promising never to be charged the DVR and additional outlet fee on the second tuner on the 522. The deal I got was the same deal a friend of mine got offered as well that has had DirecTv for a while and did not have to go through the hassle to get his deal. To me that tells me that Dish Network does not want my business that bad and when my 24 month commitment is up they are going to have to fight very very hard to keep my business if DirecTv still has a good offer for new customers at that time.

I know that Dish Network has certain promotions to keep their current customers happy but I feel that the customer service itself is going downhill along with the attitudes of their customer service personell and their lack of willing to handle/fix situations. Not only that but they are lying to me and others about different things lately.

I've no doubt that Dish wants to have me on a lease with as long a service commitment as they can possibly talk me into, and I've all ways chose to own my receivers that’s why I didn’t jump when the new 211's and HD dvr's came out they are just priced too high (dish believes high pricing make leasing more attractive, and I spose it does, but I wont pay a lease fee for a replacement even if it means my 811 and 7100 become paperweights. DirecTV is no better; they want only least equipment out there.

I've no doubt that Dish wants to have me on a lease with as long a service commitment as they can possibly talk me into, and I've all ways chose to own my receivers that’s why I didn’t jump when the new 211's and HD dvr's came out they are just priced too high (dish believes high pricing make leasing more attractive, and I spose it does, but I wont pay a lease fee for a replacement even if it means my 811 and 7100 become paperweights. DirecTV is no better; they want only least equipment out there.

What advantage do you have in buying the equipment? There's no additional fees. You're charged the same fees, they're just named different.

Advantage of owning the hardware - you don't have to pay Dish Network full price for a replacement if something happens to it, you don't have to ship it back to them when you are done using it then wait for one from them if you want to use the receiver again (and avoid a fee to have an installer put it back in for you) which probably requires a commitment once again to start using it again. You can sell it when you are done with it.

Advantage of leasing the hardware - you don't have to put the money into the receiver upfront and if I am not mistaken, Dish Network allows you to upgrade a receiver once a year. Dish Network charges you a fee to lease a receiver so why not put the money towards a receiver to own one instead if there is not much difference in price? It does make the most sense to lease a more expensive receiver than to own one.

If Dish Network is going to require us to lease all of the receivers eventually then they better be ready to upgrade a receiver for little or no money whenever I want a better receiver in exchange for another one that I have. One upgrade a year should take care of most people though unless someone already got one upgrade then needs another if they get another HD television in another room and wants HD on that television as well.

I finally got my 942 upgraded after a long hard fought battle over the phone. After many many letters and phone calls I finally gave in to upgrade, but I wanted a 722 instead of a 622. After about an hour over the phone with the top exec office I finally gave in to the 622 thinking the installer (they required) would only have a 722. The installer called Sunday morning saying he would be here between 2&3 that afternoon so I ask him if it would be a 722 and he said no it was a 622. I told him I wouldn't except a 622, so he called dish and couldn't get it changed and said I would have to call. After about an hour on the phone with the emergency department they finally oked the 722. The reason was for not giving me the 722 was because I already had one. Well I got it to replace my 921 that I had gave 1,000.00 for and now they were replacing my 942 I gave 700.00 for, I felt I deserved the 722, after all I have been a customer for 12 years and never have been late on my near 160.00 per month bill I pay them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)