LG Opens Door to ‘Better Pixels’ With Quantum Dot 4KTV

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
TV as we know it doesn’t cover the same color range as the human eye. LG is taking a step closer to display technology that covers more of it. The Korean electronics giant said it will unveil a new quantum dot 4K Ultra HD TV at CES 2015, coming up in Las Vegas Jan. 6-9. LG says quantum dot technology displays a “wider color palette and improved color saturation than conventional LCD TVs.”

Five out of five 3M scientists agree that quantum dot display technology renders a wider color palette, or “gamut” in engineering terms.
More at: .tvtechnology.com

Quantum Dot technology could be a great boon to LCD screens. Essentially they can be made to emit much better color points than the currently used filters/backlights. They are pretty close to achieving the new Rec 2020 color spec for the UHD Blu-Ray.

Asus has a laptop out with the technology: http://3mcolormatters.com/

Im keeping my fingers crossed in case OLED doesnt pan out. I am not an LCD fan, but the better they can be is fine by me.

Quantum Dot technology will improve bright colors, but it's not going to help with black levels. OLED still rules!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)