When will 8K come to the United States?

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Okay, so when my incomes a little better (probably be next year) I may save up for a 4K TV, but I also thought about skipping 4K and wait until 8K comes to the United States like they already have in some countries. It would have to also include 3D (I'm undecided whether it should be active or glasses-free), but a curved 8K (preferably a Sony model) would be ideal. Since I have thoughts about skipping 4K for 8K, when is 8K supposed to come to the US?

Probably a few more years on that before any content becomes available. UHD 4k will not even come out until the second half of 2015. 8K is still in test and development stages.

There are more 4K televisions than 4K content other than streaming services that are now offering 4K and upconversion.

I can see 8K taking hold like 4K is currently doing possibly in 5 years. The problem is, will people be able to tell the difference in the picture quality? Other technologies may be concentrated on in which the consumer can tell the difference to persuade them to purchase the television sets.

I think 8k becoming main stream is more like 10 years from now. Most 35mm film stock does not really have much resolution beyond 4k as it is (most is effectively 6k or less), and 8k video cameras are just being developed. 4k had a large content base available with film conversions. There are of course the Technicolor, 70MM films, IMAX films, etc. available for 8k. But, most of the 35mm films were not using a fine enough grain film or proper lighting to have that high a resolution.

4K also covers most wall sizes given viewing distances.

I see 8K being used more for professional applications and not for the home user. Sure there will be 8K sets sold to home viewers but will not give you the real 8K experience.

NHK’s Research Labs Serves as Breeding Ground for 8K Innovation

This year, Japanese public broadcaster NHK announced that it will speed development of its 8K Super Hi-Vision, which offers 16 times the resolution of HD, and begin broadcasting tests in 2016 with the goal of starting a commercial terrestrial service as early as 2018 — two years before the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. Although there is still a tremendous amount of development needed to create a full 8K ecosystem, SVG’s visit to NHK’s Science & Technology Research Laboratories (STRL) in Tokyo suggests that the broadcaster may be closer than many industry observers think.

http://sportsvideo.org/main/blog/20...-serves-as-breeding-ground-for-8k-innovation/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)