Lied to by CSR's on 722 Cost

Reboot65

Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
I received my 722 on Sunday (8/19) w/ HD channels, which I absolutley love:). BUT it has taken 8 calls/chats to D just to upgrade ( replace) a receiver and add HD ( over 4 days ). I was quoted a different price every single time and none of them were correct. The dish it up program says $179 for the HD DVR - I was charged $229 - I called back the next day "oh it should be $179" ok - checked again, it was back to $229. After the 722 was installed I had no HD, installer told me to call D ( NOT HAPPY about that :eek:) Anyway I called the idiots back and they said I never ordered the HD - 3 different times I ordered it with the csr's and the billing people. ( I hung up on more than a few of the csr's because they were so out of it I was afraid of what they would charge me for) I guess it really didn't matter.
The #8 person said the 722 was $229 because it was the most advanced.....yada yada yada - I said it has a bigger hd - big deal and it replaces the 622 so the price should be $179.

Can ANYONE tell me was the cost of the 722 is supposed to be ???

Ialso sent a 'note' to ceo@echostar.com
I have been with D well over 15 years.
thanks

DSM
Califorina

The simple answer drdroo is that they have different DIU prices for different customers. (no one really knows how they decide who gets what)

The simple answer drdroo is that they have different DIU prices for different customers. (no one really knows how they decide who gets what)

I thought their DIU prices are determined by:

1. How long you have been a Dish customer.
2. Your paying habits. Never late? Sometimes late? Almost to the point of being shut off? etc. But I don't know their formulas or table of charges regarding to each.
3. Last DIU had to be more than 18 months ago.

If when you call Dish you don't get that guy saying "I see you are one of our most valued customers.." I guess you are on their you know what list.

Yeah especially if they say "I see you're one of our worst customers ever" :D

I'm sure there's some sort of weird metric, but the list of criterion you mentioned above is my understanding too. Provided you pay up on time, are 18 months out, etc.

Maybe they base it on your default programming tier too?

I thought their DIU prices are determined by:

1. How long you have been a Dish customer.
2. Your paying habits. Never late? Sometimes late? Almost to the point of being shut off? etc. But I don't know their formulas or table of charges regarding to each.
3. Last DIU had to be more than 18 months ago.

If when you call Dish you don't get that guy saying "I see you are one of our most valued customers.." I guess you are on their you know what list.

DIU prices are pretty much set in stone...unless you've been naughty. If you're deemed a risk you're disqualified from certain promotions or specialty prices by the system. As far as pricing tables, the CSR's rely on their computers to tell them pricing. As far as formulas, only Chuck knows how the billing really works.

As for my $229 price all I can say is at the moment (until my install which was delayed) I have the same DVR I started with and I have never been late and have called less than six times in two years.

I've called twice to see about the price I was charged and both times told it was correct. I don't know what to do but I do feel cheated.

Something else I don't understand is why they will not give an existing customer who's contract is expired the same offer as a new customer?

If they are willing to renew the contract on the same terms as the new customer.

Something else I don't understand is why they will not give an existing customer who's contract is expired the same offer as a new customer?

If they are willing to renew the contract on the same terms as the new customer.

I don't think that the current deal is unfair. I say this because I will receive 2 leased VIP211s (for free after the 100$/box rebate, which you can now get back in 60 days or less instead of across 10 months), and I also will receive a leased VIP722 for 99$ after 100$ rebate (same deal there, comes back as 100$ instead of spanned). New customers generally cannot get more than 2 boxes, 3 tuners total via lease.

In other words, membership has its benefits.

So if they stick with that, and I get a ViP722, and move my current ViP622 to replace both the 721 and 508, I'll have 4 tuners. Meaning I'll have to BUY the ViP722. If they stick with this plan. Why do I suspect that as they want to reduce the number of non-MPEG-4 boxes out there, this rule will change?

So if they stick with that, and I get a ViP722, and move my current ViP622 to replace both the 721 and 508, I'll have 4 tuners. Meaning I'll have to BUY the ViP722. If they stick with this plan. Why do I suspect that as they want to reduce the number of non-MPEG-4 boxes out there, this rule will change?

I'm really not sure how it'll work in the future. EDIT: It's possible you might be onto something though. By then there will be more available hardware too, and the costs to allocate this new hardware will be evolved. There are more VIP622s than 722s in allocation, but these numbers are still VERY small compared to the amount of MPEG2 hardware from say, Dish 1000 up through now thats out there..

I guess I don't understand your q about 4 tuners? As it sits, if you're an existing customer and not already bound by DIU terms, you could have a VIP622 and a VIP722 on lease, but you would have to own any additional boxes above and beyond that.

All you have to do is contact ceo@ or contact Exec Relations. That's how I have 2xvip211 and a VIP722 coming. They offered me a VIP222 and a VIP722 originally, but that'd not work here for a few reasons.

There might be a way for New Acts to argue a 4th tuner out of Dish, but as a general rule you're stuck with the 2/3 rule.

Hmmm... I guess I must be on E*'s "nice list." Under the Equipment Information portion of my web account info it says that I can DIU to a 722 for $49.00 (after $100 rebate). I'd otherwise question this price but, the link leads directly to a description of both the 722 and 622.

Not a bad deal if I were wanting the 722. But, since I have no interest in HD VOD and am already planning on adding an external HDD to my 622, I think it'll be awhile before I bite on the 722. Besides, all of my equipment is silver :D

Now, if the new BC chip used in the 722 does something fancier than move from HomePlug 1.0 to 1.1, then I might be interested...

So far I have noticed the picture quality is much improved with the 722 over the 622 I had before. The picture looks brighter, sharper and more vibrant than what I had before. Same tv but better receiver. Even my wife said the picture quality looked better to her and she notices nothing about that usually. I am really starting to enjoy Hd again. The 622 had a more softer pq than the 722 on the same hdtv. I recommend this receiver for that one reason alone. IT was worth a trade in of my 622 to dishdepot to get this great receiver and add to that the external hard drive, and I have all the room I am going to need for quite awhile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)