Lifeline Cable(HD Locals) with Dish 622

rr7296

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
This may be a dumb question but I am trying anyway possible to get Fox in HD for the ALCS and World Series. If I ordered lifeline basic and plugged it into the antenna in on the 622 would it work to get all my locals in HD?? I get all except fox using and ota antenna. Fox is broadcast digitally here but never in HD. Thanks for any help.

Odds are against you as almost all cable companies use QAM for their signal and the 622 does not have a QAM decoder. There were still a few that did some ATSC, but they were small and I doubt they still do it.

Not necessarily true. Our local NBC station was in HD on cable for about 4-5 months before the OTA went live.

My cable offers the fox station from Cleveland which is in HD. How would I know if they use QAM?? Also why would a station broadcast OTA in digital but not HD? What is required from them to do this? I've called the station but I always get someones voicemail who of course never replies.

Maybe it's a Low Power station and they can't afford the hardware to broadcast in HD.

Anyway does your tv have a QAM tuner? You could just plug the cable in direct and atleast get the HD feed that way.

For your situation you need a QAM tuner your 622 doesn't have one.
In my area you can order lifeline basic cable and ask for an HD STB (for a fee) and the HD network feeds are available to view.

Another direction ?

My cable offers the fox station from Cleveland which is in HD. How would I know if they use QAM?? Also why would a station broadcast OTA in digital but not HD? What is required from them to do this? I've called the station but I always get someones voicemail who of course never replies.

What kind of TV do you have? My Sony has a QAM tuner builtin to it and I can pickup all the local HD channels that are riding on my basic cable from TWC. I just plugged the cable in the back and did a scan to pick them up originally.
Gerry

What kind of TV do you have? My Sony has a QAM tuner builtin to it and I can pickup all the local HD channels that are riding on my basic cable from TWC. I just plugged the cable in the back and did a scan to pick them up originally.
Gerry

Unfortunately my TV has no tuner at all, It's the Olevia 537. Damn! Damn! Damn! The station owner here has both Fox and CBS, WKBN/WYFX. They broadcast the CBS HD OTA but not Fox. Oh well guess I'l lhave to watch baseball in SD, after watching the Indians/Redsox last night and then switching to TBS HD to watch some of the Rockies game I got even more irritated. What a huge difference.

For your situation you need a QAM tuner your 622 doesn't have one.
In my area you can order lifeline basic cable and ask for an HD STB (for a fee) and the HD network feeds are available to view.

I called my cable company, Time Warner, and the guy told me the only way I could get an HD STB was to order the digital cable package. He said I couldn't order lifeline basic and request a STB. Is this accurate or is this guy just trying to up sell me??

Comcast is my cable-co, and you can subscribe to basic lifeline and rent a STB I can't speak for your cable-co?

Do a search on the web for your local TW cable-co and see what is offered in your area!!

Stb

Comcast is my cable-co, and you can subscribe to basic lifeline and rent a STB I can't speak for your cable-co?

Do a search on the web for your local TW cable-co and see what is offered in your area!!

TWC will not give you a STB w/o digital cable and probably not a HD one without their HD tier.
Gerry

I called my cable company, Time Warner, and the guy told me the only way I could get an HD STB was to order the digital cable package. He said I couldn't order lifeline basic and request a STB. Is this accurate or is this guy just trying to up sell me??
In my case Cox has exclusive Padre broadcast rights and they are both analog and HD on their cable. I just have lifeline and I got a HD STB for 5 or 6 bucks a month more and got all my locals plus the Padres in HD.

I think you may have to play CSR roulette like we do for Dish until you find somebody who has the straight skinny.

When the Padre tie breaker got scheduled Cox hurried up and turned on TBS HD but when I called every CSR I talked to told me I had TBS because I had digital cable but they were all wrong. When I tried to tune it in I got one of those "you are not authorized to view this channel call Cox Cable..." And my bill says "basic cable $13.50, Digital TV STB $5.00" (or words to that effect)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)