So when is E* new satellite launch scheduled?

bgsmallwood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
The Nations
Hopefully someone here who keeps up with these things can tell me the tentative launch date for the new satellite that is to provide a lot of new HD bandwidth.

Hopefully someone here who keeps up with these things can tell me the tentative launch date for the new satellite that is to provide a lot of new HD bandwidth.

Right now, E11 is scheduled to be launched by SeaLaunch. E11 is third in line for launch. However, with the problems suffered by D10, the next 2 sats (both the same model as D10) may be pulled for diagnostics. Look for a launch of E11 as early as next month or by the end of March 2008. AMC-14 (leased by E*) is next in line at Baikonur. They have just suffered a launch failure by the Proton rocket. AMC-14 could be delayed for 6 - 9 months. Ciel-2, the replacement for 129, is scheduled for a 2009 launch.

Right now, E11 is scheduled to be launched by SeaLaunch. E11 is third in line for launch. However, with the problems suffered by D10, the next 2 sats (both the same model as D10) may be pulled for diagnostics. Look for a launch of E11 as early as next month or by the end of March 2008. AMC-14 (leased by E*) is next in line at Baikonur. They have just suffered a launch failure by the Proton rocket. AMC-14 could be delayed for 6 - 9 months. Ciel-2, the replacement for 129, is scheduled for a 2009 launch.

I don't know anything about this stuff, but all these satellite problems, launch delays, and launch failures seem a bit much lately. Have these kinds of things increased over the past couple of years, or is this par for the course?

Just curious...

Thank You. That is exactly the information I was looking for.

However, with the problems suffered by D10, the next 2 sats (both the same model as D10) may be pulled for diagnostics.

Please post any link with info that states or suggests there is any discussion in regards to any delay with D11.

In fact - the current schedule has D11 for early Jan - as Thuraya 3 has been pushed back to early November.
Launches

Thanks.

I just read somewhere else that this satellite is intended to replace one of the existing ones. It will result in no extra capacity. It was "the other board" so I will not post a link.
I think you are confusing D11 with D12. D12 is the spare. D12 is not scheduled to launch at this time.

I think you are confusing D11 with D12. D12 is the spare. D12 is not scheduled to launch at this time.

So again - is your 'statement' that D11 may be delayed your personal opinion, or is it based on any credible info that has been put out by a relliable source?

This one made a little earlier:
"However, with the problems suffered by D10, the next 2 sats (both the same model as D10) may be pulled for diagnostics."

E*11 is going to replace E*8 at 110°. This will allow E*8 and E*6 (also parked near 110° but inactive) to "move around" where needed to make the most use out of the transponders E* can use at other locations including the "reverse DBS" slots they receintly got.

See ya
Tony

Some Info On AMC-14

AMC-14

AMERICOM-14 (AMC-14) is a BSS satellite featuring many noteworthy innovations, including an active phased array (APA) payload consisting of a receive mode APA antenna, and the highest levels of redundancy on core components such as amplifiers, receivers, commanding beam and computer control systems. Developed primarily by Lockheed Martin Commercial Space Systems, the APA will be a key satellite technology for future missions. AMC-14 will provide AMERICOM2Home® services in the United States for EchoStar Communications' DISH Network.

Satellite information
Spacecraft design Lockheed Martin A2100AX

Orbital location U.S. orbital arc

Launch Date Q4 2007
Design Life 15 years

Ku-band payload 32 x 24 MHz (16 x 24 Mhz with 2:1 power combining)
Amp type TWTA, 150 watts
Amp Redundancy two groups of 22 for 16
Receiver redundancy 4 for 2
Coverage North America, 50-State

So again - is your 'statement' that D11 may be delayed your personal opinion, or is it based on any credible info that has been put out by a relliable source?

This one made a little earlier:
"However, with the problems suffered by D10, the next 2 sats (both the same model as D10) may be pulled for diagnostics."
Let's just say that it is speculation. I have a $400 million communication satellite that is identical or nearly identical to the satellite that was just launched as is known to have a defect. Do I just trust to luck that my satellite will work properly or do I ask the manufacture to double check to make sure mine does not have the same defective parts? This is assuming that Boeing knows what happened to D10. If Boeing doesn't know the cause of the failure, do I go ahead and launch anyway? I wouldn't and neither would you. I would wait for the final report on the failure and its probable cause before launching the satellite.
There was a suggestion on the DbsTalk forum that the cause of the failure was a reflector. Posted by LameLefty Post #252 Official: D10 in orbit testing, national beams ok, problem with spotbeams - Page 11 - DBSTalk.Com
Boeing has a history of reflector problems on the 702 series. Boeing 702 Satellites Solar Arrays Possibly Defective
Perhaps the issues have not been solved yet. Would you send your $400 million satellite into orbit without rechecking for defective parts?
Also "my statement" was hardly definitive. I did use the phrase "may be pulled" not "would be pulled".

Speculate on this a bit - the newly released FAA 4th Q launch report of commerical sats for Oct 07-March 08.

It reflects the delay of Thuraya-3 until November, and it lists D11 for January of 2008.

AMC-14 - listed on last quarters report for launch this December has been taken off and ECHOSTAR 11 is not mentioned. Looks like neither of them will be flying until at least 2nd Q 2008.

Attachments

• 4Q2007_Quarterly_Report.pdf
    252.4 KB · Views: 182

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)