Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network off Dish due to contract dispute

Lets take a look at this guys.. from the financial stand point. Lets say dish payed 10 cents per sub for lifetime. (mythological) .10 x 12mil subs = 1,200,000 Dollars. Now life time wants to raise there product by 7 cents (mythological) so now its .17 for this channel... .17 * 12 mill subs = 2,040,000 dollars. as you can see those pennies add up !!!!.. I'm with Charlie on this one :)

One extra cost that Dish has is their greater attempt to reach smaller markets, which also end up requiring extra satellites and dishes like the Superdish.

I know that, last summer when I came back to Satellite TV, I considered both. But there were no locals available on D*, and even with complaints about it I like how the 522 works, mainly the part where I can watch recorded shows on either of my TVs. Doesn't D*'s normal multi TV packages just include the one DVR?

JohnH said:
Note: Lifetime Real Women was a required addition in the negotiations.

These required additions is why we get ESPNEWS, ESPN Classics, in addition to the ESPN and ESPN2. Channels that should either be optional, or put into a higher package, since I don't watch them.

Tampa8 said:
but with about 1.5% of TV watchers watching Lifetime, t.

It is probably greater than 1.5%. The 1.5% is probably at any given time.

So, some greater percentage watches it any given week.

kevink said:
These required additions is why we get ESPNEWS, ESPN Classics, in addition to the ESPN and ESPN2. Channels that should either be optional, or put into a higher package, since I don't watch them.

Speaking for yourself, of course, since some of us (myself included) watch those channels a great deal! :up

All the more reason that a-la-carte would be the best approach for the consumer!

DWS44 said:
All the more reason that a-la-carte would be the best approach for the consumer!

AMEN brother DWS44... Now why don't the programmers, distrubuters and the government allow us that freedom rather than forcing channels we don't want down our throats? Let the marginal channels go under.

Personally I could care less about Lifetime going except for the loss of "Unsolved Mysteries". As far as I'm concerned that's the ONLY show worth watching on that POS channel ever since they lost "Night Court" to Nick. I WOULD be interested in LMN however if it was like TCM just with good chick flicks then I'd take the price increase. As it stands WE is a better channel just for the fact it's the ONLY channel I know of that airs reruns of "Boston Public" and "Felicity".

i am all for a-la-carte !!!..theres alot of channels on there i never watch..i can rem the simple days..nbc,cbs,abc later on...and all free and good stuff on these channels too

mneitzel said:
I understand Charlie a bit better coming from the D* side. D* is not making money. More subscribers , less profit? How long are they gonna hold together? They need Microsoft as an owner to keep that going in the long run.

dont kid yourself, directv makes money. the thing is directv is part of news corporation now, you have to look at all aspects . directv pays a sister co (fox) to broadcast the locals and fox sports, so rupert takes it out of one pocket and puts it back in the other. charlie is a stand alone company, he actually has to pay for ALL the programming.

also directv has more clout at negotiations , they have almost 4 million more subs, so they would pay less per sub.

Kinda pissed off here...not just because (a) I already spend way too much $$$ on crap channels I never watch; or because (b) LIFETIME was one of the few channels I tolerated because of GOLDEN GIRLS and WILL&GRACE, but now I'm paying for duplicates of the same damn channels WE and EncoreLove...the only reason I got DISH last year in the 1st place was to receive MONSTERS HD...and they've been recycling the same damn movies over and over and over and over again for a good 8 months now...watching TV anymore anywhere in this country just plain stinks...

I am getting word that a deal is nearly done and that the Lifetime Channels should be back by Wednesday. (This only comes from one source so please consider it a rumor)

With this said the war of the Websites is getting rough, with this being posted to the Lifetime Website...
CALL NOW AND TELL DISH NETWORK TO STOP DENYING THE TRUTH AND DENYING WOMEN LIFETIME: 1-888-284-7116
The Truth is that DISH Pulled the Plug on Women and on Lifetime Networks, Just Like They've Done to Other Networks Many Times Before
If you or anyone you know is a DISH subscriber, you may have tried to tune in to Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network for the great movies we wanted to share with you during the holidays and found that we're off the air. You may have heard from the DISH network and its CEO Charlie Ergen that this is a result of Lifetime being unreasonable. But the Truth is that DISH is totally misleading their subscribers and at the same time, denying women their favorite networks. The Truth is that DISH unilaterally pulled Lifetime Networks off the air, on New Year's Eve no less, despite our offer to extend their contract through the holidays and despite more than seven months of our efforts to reach a fair agreement.
The Truth is that DISH and Charlie Ergen have pulled channels in the midst of negotiations before but Lifetime has not. The Truth is that Lifetime has completed literally hundreds of similar deals with cable and satellite distributors in the last few years and has never had this problem.
Here's how you can help. Make your dissatifaction heard right away by calling DISH network at 1-888-284-7116 and emailing ceoofdishnetwork@dishnetwork.com and ask Charlie Ergen to tell the Truth and put Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network back on the air. We deeply regret the difficulty this disruption of service has caused our viewers and hope to resolve this soon, but greatly appreciate all of your support especially in this difficult time. In the meantime, if you want to watch Lifetime, you can consider contacting another satellite provider or your local cable company.

ok, Lifetime and LMN both has a 5% increase yearly in there contract with a combine total of 10%. add Real Women's cost per subs and the total would be around 76% if you look at that way. Lifetime just wants to pitch Real Women and get it out to more subscribers. Dish is stone walling this effort, why I'm not for sure. Cost maybe the main factor. Keep in mind though, if a la carte becomes a reality then channels like Real Women may not have a chance if they don't get a early headstart in people viewing there content. ??? what if ???

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am getting word that a deal is nearly done and that the Lifetime Channels should be back by Wednesday. (This only comes from one source so please consider it a rumor)

With this said the war of the Websites is getting rough, with this being posted to the Lifetime Website...

Say the hell with it and get cable !!!

cablewithaview said:
Say the hell with it and get cable !!!

Yeah right. You're welcome to my local POS cable system. Spend a week with them and you'll be preaching the virtues of satellite.:rolleyes:

NightRyder

cablewithaview said:
ok, Lifetime and LMN both has a 5% increase yearly in there contract with a combine total of 10%. add Real Women's cost per subs and the total would be around 76% if you look at that way. Lifetime just wants to pitch Real Women and get it out to more subscribers. Dish is stone walling this effort, why I'm not for sure. Cost maybe the main factor. Keep in mind though, if a la carte becomes a reality then channels like Real Women may not have a chance if they don't get a early headstart in people viewing there content. ??? what if ???

Now that I see one of the comedies on LRW I'm interested in "Caroline In the City" and I know my mom would be interested in "Providence" so I wouldn't be SO opposed to seeing LRW appear but I wish I could get YTV or a Nick All-Stars created for my tastes and I'm sure there are enough Old School Nick fans interested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)