Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network off Dish due to contract dispute

Dish Network probably figures the longer the stations are off air the better deal they will get to add them back. Maybe they figure that Lifetime will give in and figure it will be better to get what was offered rather than nothing and less advertising money.

CJPC said:
The best part is that charlie keeps putting lifetime up to show there side, via email etc, (even posting the rate parts in one email) but they keep saying no... who is the one who is trying to screw us over? lifetime that is!

Because we all know how much weight the Bill O'Reilly finger wag tactic carries.

This is how much I care about Lifetime comming back.
CARE-O-METER.gif

ah ha ha...

Boy, the things charlie will do to get us to tune into a chat...Hey chuck, we're watching it anyways even though we don't know why...you don't need these stunts...

Chris Walker said:
I e-mailed Dish and Lifetime and pleaded with them to NOT bring Lifetime back to Dish. I have a real problem paying for anti-man "battered wife of the week" movies, so good riddance.
I always considered Lifetime to be curiuously anti-female. Or do women really enjoy watching endless movies showing themselves being beaten / raped / killed? :confused:

WOW! And I thought it was all touchy-feelie kind of stuff. I still don't want to watch it.

Charlie pulled OLN. I was unhappy.
Charlie pulled Lifetime. My wife is unhappy.

My wife and I made the decision to subscribe to Dish on the basis of their published package offerings. And now some of these offerings have been unilaterally pulled by this egomaniac.

I, for one, am fed up with Charlie playing Russian Roulette with Dish's programming offerings. His refusal to accept an interim contract while negotiating tells subscribers that he is making us the pawns in his egotistical power move -- ignoring the fact that his job is to provide us with the programming we pay for! The cowboy wants a duel at high noon and by God, he will force it no matter what.

There are civilized ways of negotiating these things. I think directv does it this way -- I don't recall ever having channels dropped in a power play in several years of directv service.

By all means, Charlie, negotiate, but keep your ego out of the negotiations. Remember that you have many subscribers that do not want their programming interrupted or discontinued on your whim. We want the level of service advertised by Dish and realize that we need to pay going rates for this service. Don't make those decisions for us...

This is one long thread and I only read the first page but has lifetime come back yet? I'm not happy with this I could care less about Lifetime but it seems like Charlie keeps removing channels so he wont have to raise our rates yet every year he still raises our rates along with removing the channels soon the AT120 will be the AT75.

hometheaterman said:
This is one long thread and I only read the first page but has lifetime come back yet? I'm not happy with this I could care less about Lifetime but it seems like Charlie keeps removing channels so he wont have to raise our rates yet every year he still raises our rates along with removing the channels soon the AT120 will be the AT75.

Wow, you make it sound like they have dumped a bunch of channels, but besides lifetime and oln and a Korean channel and a Russian channel, what have they dropped compared to what they have added in the last year? I'm not talking what have they added that you watch per say, I'm talking let's compare a list of channels that Dish has dropped from the complete Dish line-up to that of which they have added in the last year line-up wise. Yeah, they have added a lot to the international line-up, but then again, they make some good $$ from them as well. As far as rates going up, people are obviously not looking at the whole picture, it takes $$ to run a company and a public company that has shareholders (I being one) to keep happy as well. Dish has around 20,000 employees and they have to be paid (granted they don't get much, but they do get paid), you also have the building to maintain, and there are a few of those, you have new equipment to roll out and improve, you have satellites to build so the HD whiners can get their HD, and get those up in the sky. I'm paying more for gas, groceries, electricity, rent, shampoo, soap, stamps, and just about everything else compared to a year ago. We accept the fact that rates go up for all of that, but have a total conniption fit about PAY TV going up. I am paying $15 more for rent in my apartment this year than I did last year. They didn't change a thing, they didn't put in new carpet, paint the walls, lay new linoleum, not a thing, but I pay it because I like where I live. If I didn't I would go somewhere else. Everyone has the option, go somewhere else! Comcrap, DTV, or whatever else is out there, but guess what, their rates go up too, and channels change, they drop and they add. They only other option I can see is either buy out Charlie, or start your own satellite business. Either way you will probably be singing a different tune if you did!

This thread certainly doesn't deserve the amount of space it's already taken. In all honesty...."how many here really give a hoot about LIFETIME anyway?" Hell, if it helps keep my rates down and I don't watch it, then good riddance.

Heck, it may free up some space for something more compelling!!!:p ;) :D

Raising prices every year by $2.00 to 4.00 dollars is getting old. So what if other prices are going up. That excuse is getting old and the post office gets very little of my money (next to nothing) because of price increase. Piss on them, I'll pay my bill via phone or online. So by raising the price of stamps, it will cost them a lot of money if there are a lot of people like me. So from getting a few bucks a month like in the past they're lucky if I now use two stamps a month. Piss on them because stamps cost too much.

The reason you're paying more for everything is because of the supply/demand scam by the oil companies who are raping you and trying to stomp out what's left of the middle class. I bet in a couple of years I'll probably get rid of TV and rent videos instead because I'm sick of having to get the highest tier package to see the dozen or so channels that I watch. Paying $60-70 a month for a dozen channels is nonsense.

Jimmy J said:
This thread certainly doesn't deserve the amount of space it's already taken. In all honesty...."how many here really give a hoot about LIFETIME anyway?" Hell, if it helps keep my rates down and I don't watch it, then good riddance.
Heck, it may free up some space for something more compelling!!!:p ;) :D

My goodness, what kind of thinking is this? I can say the same thing about 90% of the crap they show but what are you going to do when they come for your channel? It won't save you a dime because Charlie will pocket any savings.

Roger said:
My goodness, what kind of thinking is this? I can say the same thing about 90% of the crap they show but what are you going to do when they come for your channel? It won't save you a dime because Charlie will pocket any savings.

They already have....My OLN is gone! Sure, I pissed and moaned about it for a day or two, but in the end I'm still an AT 180+ HD pak sub'r payin the same rate. By choice!

Fact is...we alll have a choice. If we don't like 'em for whatever reason, we're free to leave or stay!

I'd be willing to pay my same monthly $72.xx, for a little more than a handful of channels. If they were exaclty what I wanted and or in HD.

Hence the need for a A LA CARTE system. You pick 'em and pay for 'em!

And as for Charlie pocketing any savings, hell that's business. And, anyone whose ever owned and or operated a business, is in the business of making money. Not giving away free services and or product!.

Last edited:
The majority of Dish's customers don't watch international channels so yes they have added some but I would like them to add some channels I watch if they are going to keep raising my rates. I would also like them to put ESPN U in the 120 I don't want to have to upgrade to the next package and pay that extra just for one channel. Honestly I think direct tv is looking better and better.

hometheaterman said:
The majority of Dish's customers don't watch international channels so yes they have added some but I would like them to add some channels I watch if they are going to keep raising my rates. I would also like them to put ESPN U in the 120 I don't want to have to upgrade to the next package and pay that extra just for one channel. Honestly I think direct tv is looking better and better.

Of course, ESPNU is in the Sports Pack on DirecTV. I pay $12 extra for that package.

Fact is...we alll have a choice. If we don't like 'em for whatever reason, we're free to leave or stay!

Wrong! The only choice is to buy a bunch of crap that I don't want, nor want to support with my money or have no TV at all. I'd gladly pay $50 for my 20 or so channels fs all my money want for those channels. So now I'm going to go with DTV because they are the best of the worst right now.

Again, we lost 4 dish channels that I know of last year: OLN, Reality, Lifetime and LMN. The three adults in this household watched all four of those! We subscribe to everything Dish has, so we have choice. Most of the choice is crap and there is a lot of repeat programming (not saying that programming is a Dish problem, but it's there anyway). At night there is mostly paid programming on the air, so what do I turn to? LMN. I dont want to watch paid programming or shopping channels when I can't sleep, am sick, or up for some other reason. Now I am PAYING to watch Elove on two channels, and I don't even like Elove!!! I am getting ripped off by Dish, that's all there is to it.

I do not mind paying a few extra dollars if that's what it takes! I am reduced right now to watching Mash over and over, or yet another episode of Roseanne playing a marathon on both Nick channels!!

Ergen Rips Lifetime

Las Vegas -- EchoStar Communications Corp. chairman Charles Ergen Thursday blasted Lifetime Television for demanding an “outrageous” license-fee increase and added that direct-broadcast satellite companies are no longer willing to pay programmers a special premium above what cable operators shell out for networks.

“In my experience in 25 years, I’ve never seen such an outrageous demand for payment in my life, from a contractual point of view,” Ergen said during a press conference at the 2006 International Consumer Electronics Show here.

Ergen -- who said he’s had a good relationship with Lifetime for 10 years -- charged that the programmer has proven to be even greedier than what he called “the most greedy” programmer, ESPN.

EchoStar’s Dish Network dropped Lifetime and its sister service, Lifetime Movie Network, New Year’s Day in a contract dispute. The programmer’s contract with Dish expired Dec. 31, and the two parties couldn’t come to terms on a new deal.

During a press question-and-answer period after EchoStar outlined its plans for this year, Ergen fielded a question about the dispute with Lifetime. Now that it’s off, it will be tough for Lifetime to get back on Dish, said Ergen, who was prepared for press inquiries about the women’s network and had several slides made up to illustrate his points, including his claim that the programmer was seeking a 76% rate increase over a three-year period.

For their part, Lifetime officials, apprised of Ergen’s comments, issued the following statement:

“As a matter of policy, Lifetime does not negotiate in the media or comment on the status of negotiations. But there have been so many false statements made by Dish that we feel the need to set the record straight on behalf of the millions of women who watch our programs.”

Lifetime’s response added that Dish is “continuing to mischaracterize our most recent reasonable contract proposal,” which “we believe still would amount to far less than what Dish pays for less popular networks.”

Additionally, Lifetime said, the final proposal from Dish -- which, it added, has not returned to the negotiating table -- called for “a drastic reduction” in rates that would “inhibit” the network’s ability to produce top-quality programming.

Ergen -- who said Dish had successfully completed 318 out of 320 contract negotiations last year, with Lifetime and OLN being the exceptions -- noted that the dispute “really boils down to economics,” with programming costs rising more than the rate of inflation, 6%-8%.

He added, “The DBS industry, when we were new, paid a DBS premium … But now that the second- and third-largest MSOs in the country are DBS guys, it’s our opinion -- compared to the DBS premium -- we should get the same rate as cable.”

To get back on Dish’s lineup, Lifetime will be in the “new-entrant” category and have to compete with any other network that wants to be carried on the DBS service, Ergen said, asking, “Why would we put something back up again when we’ve lost the customers who watch it?”

A Lifetime spokesman said the network has received e-mails from several-thousand viewers expressing disappointment and anger over the networks’ absence on Dish.

Citing data from Beta Research Corp.’s 2005 satellite-subscriber study, officials at Lifetime said it ranked first among all female satellite subscribers among full-sized networks (70 million or more homes), while LMN was tops among female satellite subscribers among midsized networks (40 million-70 million homes).

Mike Reynolds contributed to this story.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6297287.html?display=Breaking+News&referral=SUPP&nid=2226