Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network off Dish due to contract dispute

cablewithaview said:
I'm surprised that Dish has not gone with Oxygen and let it be.

I believe Oxygen wanted even more cash than Lifetime, at least that was the reasoning back when it first came out. Not sure how it would work out now.

To get back on Dish’s lineup, Lifetime will be in the “new-entrant” category and have to compete with any other network that wants to be carried on the DBS service, Ergen said, asking, “Why would we put something back up again when we’ve lost the customers who watch it?”

I will tell you why, because you will lose new subscribers that may want this channel.

Lifetime will probably have to settle for a fairly low amount now to get back on Dish Network. It might take an amount the same as before or even less. Dish Network figures they could get a pretty good channel in its place for that type of money.

cablewithaview said:
To get back on Dish’s lineup, Lifetime will be in the “new-entrant” category and have to compete with any other network that wants to be carried on the DBS service, Ergen said, asking, “Why would we put something back up again when we’ve lost the customers who watch it?”

Balls of steel, all I can say. This is hilarious watching these two companies fight, Lifetime's entire site is turning into Dish bashing "Dump Dish" "Dish hates women" "Dish deprives women of important woman's news".
:rolleyes:

leaving under contract

<my contract is long over but I'm just curious>

If you are still under contract, would this type of fiasco constitute breach of contract to allow you to switch or cancel without penalty? I know plenty of people that would say when they contracted with Dish, Lifetime was a requirement for the service and now that this requirement is gone they have no choice.

Charlie's coments that it will be difficult for Lifetime to get back on is probably going to drive away any remaining Lifetime customers. (My wife is disappointed but she hasn't demanded leaving.....yet)

Lifetime losers

BTW, I find it quite interesting that even on a press inquiry, they release the same FORM LETTER making the same apparent lies and distortions they are sending to everyone making inquiries.

Lifetime says they don't negotiate in the press and yet they publicly accused Dish of breach of contract and had to back off that claim when called to task. Also the other evidence that Charlie has presented show that either Charlie is a bold-faced liar or Lifetime if full of it. Considering that Charlie would likely be sued if he doesn't have the documentation to back up his claims.

rhollinger said:
BTW, I find it quite interesting that even on a press inquiry, they release the same FORM LETTER making the same apparent lies and distortions they are sending to everyone making inquiries.
Lifetime says they don't negotiate in the press and yet they publicly accused Dish of breach of contract and had to back off that claim when called to task. Also the other evidence that Charlie has presented show that either Charlie is a bold-faced liar or Lifetime if full of it. Considering that Charlie would likely be sued if he doesn't have the documentation to back up his claims.

I am willing to bet that Lifetime is going to take the brunt of the blame for this. The new letter on fairsatellite.com is inviting Lifetime to the Charlie Chat on Monday the 9th. It will be interesting to see if they show up, kinda wonder if this whole issue will clear up by then. rhollinger is right Lifetime has been called to task on this and hasn't done anything about it. Makes me think Lifetime has something to hide.

Lets see, make Dish out to be the bad guy to it's customers. Lifetime askes subscribers to complain to Dish thinking that this will make Dish bend to their will. Charlie says think again, I'm going to call your bluff. I think this is going to come back to bite Lifetime hard. But again this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
It's not just the latest battle w/ Lifetime that is getting to me. It's that this comes up far too often w/ E*. They seem awfully quick to add sports and foreign channels while not adding other types of channels & taking off existing ones. I'm just getting tired & taking a serious look at D*.

Charlie finally let slip the contract details. It's a 76% increase OVER 3 YEARS. That could be broken down any which way but easiest would be 25% a year. You telling me charlie can't find a quarter in the extra money he's charging me next month?

I'll bet the price increases TOOK INTO ACCOUNT lifetime's increase and now charlie's going to pocket that money. I thought charlie's last response was great, finally had the balls and showed why he's doing this, but that doesn't mean I want him to continue operating this way. Work out a 1 year deal if you can't agree on a 3 year one. Work out a longer deal so the increase is less year-to-year, do SOMETHING besides update your press release...

BTW, did he really need to take a shot at ESPN? Like they won't hear of it and remember it when they want more money...Take a guess what channels we can expect to lose in a couple years...

Purogamer, I agree with you totally. I don't think Dish is blameless in this, after all Charlie has a responsibility to his shareholders, but he also does have a responsibility to us the subscribers. Lifetime was really trying hard to make us think that everything that happened was the fault of Dish. If Lifetime really wanted these channels to stay up while they were still trying to come to a deal, a contract extension should have been approved. Don't lie to your viewers, or use them as pawns in your deal making. Lifetime has lost any creditability with me.

I don't agree with everything that Charlie does, but you have got to admit he's an excellent poker player.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to be sitting across the table from him. You would get up finding that you had lost your shorts and you would have to walk home because he would have already taken your car. Forget home he has you house too! :eek:

tawhite said:
I wouldn't want to be sitting across the table from him. You would get up finding that you had lost your shorts and you would have to walk home because he would have already taken your car. Forget home he has you house too! :eek:

Thanks! I needed a good laugh this morning. :D

tawhite said:

Isn't he already getting those things with the latest round of price increase? :hungry:

I agree, however. I think he's a pretty shrewd negotiator but it's unfortunate that the subscribers end up in the middle and don't feel as though we're really being looked out for (which is the excuse that is used). It would help if this didn't happen during an announced price increase. I understand that the 2 may be unrelated, but it's poor timing no matter what...

The Lifetime Networks channels (Lifetime, LMN, and LRW) have grown in popularity over the past few years and Lifetime is probably justified in asking for a more favorable carriage agreement with E*. A seventy-six percent increase would certainly appear to be an outrageous amount, but we have no way of knowing if this includes the carriage of Lifetime Real Women (LRW) and perhaps even future carriage of Lifetime HD. For those who don't know, Lifetime Networks has been gather a large collection of original and licensed material that lends itself well to HD. The business model support a Lifetime HD channel just hasn't been there...yet.

Back on topic, in a bold move Charlie is asking Lifetime to air the details of their negotiations in a public forum. However, this is strictly for show because there is no way in hell any programmer is going to disclose terms & conditions being offered to other MSOs.

I am upset in the manner the Lifetime channels were yanked off the air with complete disregard for customers. Charlie could/should have agreed to an extension, announced the difficulties they were having negotiating a programming contract with Lifetime Networks, and yanked the channels if Lifetime's demands were still unreasonable. I sided with his decision to pull the plug on OLN, but I feel the decision to drop Lifetime/LMN was premature and not warranted...yet.

riffjim4069 said:
A seventy-six percent increase would certainly appear to be an outrageous amount, but we have no way of knowing if this includes the carriage of Lifetime Real Women (LRW)

I'm sure it does - and even if a chunk of the increase is attributed to a new channel - if it is a channel E* has no desire to carry, and Lifetime is requiring carriage in order to continue to suppy Lifetime and LMC - then the increase absolutely should be attributed to the Lifetime channels.

You think Lifetime would have the stones to admit to all their loyal (victimized) viewers that they no longer have Lifetime on E* because E* refuses to carry LRW? Most would say "Who cares about LRW" at best they may say that they would like to have LRW, but it's not a deal breaker - how many are willing to give up Lifetime in order to get LRW? Lifetime was willing to take that gamble - and they lost.

Lifetime apparently doesn't care about women. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
riffjim4069 said:
HowI am upset in the manner the Lifetime channels were yanked off the air with complete disregard for customers. Charlie could/should have agreed to an extension, announced the difficulties they were having negotiating a programming contract with Lifetime Networks, and yanked the channels if Lifetime's demands were still unreasonable. I sided with his decision to pull the plug on OLN, but I feel the decision to drop Lifetime/LMN was premature and not warranted...yet.

I'm going to go back and read all the good information, but from what I was able to gather is that Dish asked Lifetime for an extension and Lifetime denied it. Like I said both are to blame for this mess, but when it's all said and done I think Lifetime is going to have egg on their face. Lifetime was/is not telling their viewership the entire truth and are distorting the facts to their favor. Which to me is unacceptable no matter how you slice it.

riffjim4069 said:
The business model support a Lifetime HD channel just hasn't been there...yet.

I'm not sure I agree completely here. Most of the content on Lifetime is not HD content. Also, I can't speak for others, but my wife couldn't give a rat's hindquarters about HD any more than she could give as much about surround sound. Lifetime is the last channel I would consider for HD unless the demand is there. <recent>Movie channels, sports, sci-fi, and locals would be my top priorities.
riffjim4069 said:
I am upset in the manner the Lifetime channels were yanked off the air with complete disregard for customers. Charlie could/should have agreed to an extension, announced the difficulties they were having negotiating a programming contract with Lifetime Networks, and yanked the channels if Lifetime's demands were still unreasonable.

All indications are that Lifetime is the one that refused offering extensions. Maybe Lifetime turned around and offered one at the 11th hour but I'm guessing at that point the gloves were thrown and all parties had walked from the table.

I was going to say, most women aren't as concerned about HD vs. non-HD, it looks the same i'm sad to say. Besides, do black eyes evoke more emotion in HD anyways?

Lifetime is a lost service unless they completely cave in and this is too ugly for me to believe that's happening. Charlie all but confirmed it yesterday. At least you'll actually get "comparable" programming in it's place...eventually...

And another thing....

It's not like EITHER one of them is losing money!! I have thought a lot about that. I know business is business, I have a business too, but I don't rip people off. As a matter of fact when I got a better deal on my DSL services, I passed the savings on by lowering my customers cost as well.

I am getting really tired of both Dish and Lifetime. They both better start thinking about WHO pays their bills!

And, I am wondering this! If Lifetime is so expensive now, how can Direct TV have these channels and have their programming LESS than Dish? I looked into Direct TV and I would save a few hundred dollars a year by changing! Does not make sense to me, unless Direct TV is going to go under this year....

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)