Lifetime Cox Customer, looking at DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hutson

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Florida
I have been a Cox customer for the last 20 years, since I started paying for television. Our bill is roughly $200~ (113~ for Cable + HBO and 53~internet and then 35~ for hd dvr receivers + dvr 'capability') We're looking to drastically reduce this. My wifes grandmother has had directv for years and we know it's solid as we've used it when we stay there for 1 week out of the year, each year. We were looking at this new Genie thing. We have 3 tv's we would want to set up. It says you need a mini genie for each tv that is not the primary. Being a newbie to Satellite television, I'm not sure how this type of thing works. Do these mini genies allow you to watch tv as well or just access the DVR on the primary genie?

Last edited:
:welcome to Satelliteguys!

The mini Genie is the C31, which is a box without a tuner that allows you to use one of the 5 tuners in the Genie (HR34) at a remote television. You can use up to 3 C31s at a time.

Alright. So putting this in terms I understand, the C31's act as wireless systems that are reliant on the H34, and if for whatever reason the H34 is not functioning than the C31's would not receive service? The 'tuner' in the H34 allows access to television programming?

The setup isn't wireless, it's connected with coax cable. Yes, if the HR34 is down, then so is the C31.

The good thing about the c31's is that it will give you dvr functionality on all your tv's.

Last edited:
Holy crap I just realized you were paying 88$ in fees with Cox!!!! It amazes me how cable companies add subs with these kind of fees

It amazes me how cable companies add subs with these kind of fees

like Charter and their "19.95 DVR in every room" and then you have to pay $5 per box on top of that
or charter and their 16.95 2 tuner DVR that there is no price break on the 1st

The good thing about the c31's is that it will give you dvr functionality on all your tv's.
What I am trying to understand is if the C31 gives me the ability to watch different shows on the paid for programming. Like the kids can be watching the Sprout or Nick channel in their room, my wife watching a cooking show while cooking and me watching a game/race on the 3rd tv.. all at the same time. or does the C31 just enable the ability to watch prerecorded shows from the HR34.

The C31 can watch live TV. Think of it this way:
The Genie has 5 tuners
If you have 3 TVs and you have a Genie and 2 of the C31 units, each C31 can watch live TV, WHILE you are watching live TV on the Genie, AND you can still be recording 2 other programs.
Or you can mix and match whichever TV wants to watch live or recorded. You have 5 tuners (in the Genie) to work with. A C31 watching live TV would be using 1 tuner. The Genie watching live TV would use 1 tuner. The other tuners can sit idle OR you can be recording on them. However you use them, you have 5. If all 5 are recording at the same time, you can only watch shows you have recorded already.

The C31 can watch live TV. Think of it this way: The Genie has 5 tuners If you have 3 TVs and you have a Genie and 2 of the C31 units, each C31 can watch live TV, WHILE you are watching live TV on the Genie, AND you can still be recording 2 other programs. Or you can mix and match whichever TV wants to watch live or recorded. You have 5 tuners (in the Genie) to work with. A C31 watching live TV would be using 1 tuner. The Genie watching live TV would use 1 tuner. The other tuners can sit idle OR you can be recording on them. However you use them, you have 5. If all 5 are recording at the same time, you can only watch shows you have recorded already.
alright, fantastic information! This is exactly what I was trying to understand. Thank you. edit: Another question I had, I understand directv requires you to lock in at a 2 year rate. We currently own/live in a townhouse for the last 12 years, but looking to move in the next year or so hopefully. What kind of fees/issues/loopholes are we looking at dealing with if we manage to find a new place in the next 1-2 years?

Last edited:
You can use the movers connection for a free relocation as long as you are a customer for at least a year.

Awesome thanks! Movers connection is a like a discount/rebate type thing for customers of at least a year then?

The movers connection means they will not charge for reinstalling you in a new location. I think the year timeline is somewhat nebulous.
http://www.directv.com/see/landing/movers.html As you can see, they don't say how long you must be a customer, but from what I have read here, it's basically a year. YMMV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)