Lightning Miracle!

David

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
I started a post on Sunday about a lightning strike at a neighbor's house that resulted in my loss of reception of the 110 satellite. It would not lock on and receive any of the channels from 110 on all three of my boxes. This condition existed for two days until yesterday--another fierce thunderstorm with lots of lightning, lasting 20 minutes. After it was all over, I turned the TV on and everything was working normally again! I have an appointment for a tech to replace the switch or LNB on Saturday. I will wait until tomorrow to see if everything is still OK, then I will cancel.
I am scratching my head trying to figure out the miraculous healing!

Did the power go out?

Sometime a switch will need a power cycle. To do this all receivers and the power-inserter should be powered down simultaneously.

David_Levin said:
Did the power go out?

Sometime a switch will need a power cycle. To do this all receivers and the power-inserter should be powered down simultaneously.
The power did flicker, so yes. I will keep this in mind for the future since living down south in the Atlanta area, this will likely happen again. Thanks for the tip...

sometimes the simple things....

Went over to a buddy's house last year, to help him fix his big-screen RCA TV.
It just wasn't acting right. Wierd video on most of the inputs.
Looks like it was blown.
Then, after changing through all the inputs, with various source material, it dawned on me:
There had recently been lightening activity, and power surges.
So, after two hours of testing, we unplugged it for a minute and plugged it back into power.
The set returned to normal operation.
Now, if we'd just done that first, we would have had a lot more beer-time!

Did the power go out?
Sometime a switch will need a power cycle.
To do this all receivers and the power-inserter should be powered down simultaneously.
As mentioned in previous posts, the switch can occasionally need a reset, and it's really tricky to get it to happen, if you have a lot of receivers.
Turning them "off" won't do anything, but unplugging them from the wall will.
Luckily, my switch is accessable inside, so I just unplug all cables connecting the house to the switch.
That does the trick.

Last edited:
I have had the a wipe out during a lightning storm that 1) either the even or odd set satellite transponders disappeared for days in multiple IRDs (but not all) and 2) the loss of entire satellite position for days in multiple IRDs (but not all) that a power switch reboot did not fix.

After replacing the lnb, coax, switch and everything else in between, I learned the hard way that you had to actually pull the plug from the wall for a while and power back up.

As stated, that did the trick - but I had to actually pull the plug from the units.

Now nothing surprises me.

Last edited:
The basic rule of thumb for any Dish receiver is "If it is acting strange and you can't figure it out, then pull the plug for a power off/on cycle."

I'd never call Dish Tech Support without trying this first.

Tom Bombadil said:
The basic rule of thumb for any Dish receiver is "If it is acting strange and you can't figure it out, then pull the plug for a power off/on cycle."

I'd never call Dish Tech Support without trying this first.
I did pull the plug on the receiver, but it was the power-inserter being powered down that apparently did the trick. Will store this in the ol' memory bank for the next malfunction in the future ( there will always be one more down the road)...

Yeah, you've got to power down everything.

I don't have one of those fancy-smancy power inserters or DP44 switches, so all I have to do is flip the power switch on my surge protector.

But I still think it was a MIRACLE!