Lightning strikes DVR questions (may need stonecold)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftaisawesome

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
First, I've had DTV for about 16 months. When I signed up, I got just one
receiver. An HR-22 HD DVR. The other night I'm watching it and it's
storming. Suddenly there was a simultaneous lightning flash and,
extremely loud thunder crack with a little "pop" and, out goes the tv.

The TV and DTV Rec. were still powered on but, there is no display. I then
try my OTA connection and the TV is fine. I try the HDMI port with a FTA
satellite dish and it's all fine. I then try my Directv DVR on another
television. No go. I use the red reset button on the DVR, wait for it to
do it's thing and still no display. I was recording a show at the time and
once the DVR came back up it started recording again but, no display. I
finally hook up a component connection to my tv from the DVR and all is
well.

So the lightning only fried the HDMI port on the DVR. Last night, I
unplugged the DVR for about 15 minutes, then retried this with the same
results. I reset it again, same thing. I can watch it fine with component
out but, no HDMI. I want HDMI.

My questions are
1. Will I have to pay for a replacement DVR?
2. Is there yet any way to get your recordings off the DVR? I have some I don't want to lose.

You can get them off with a DVD recorder but they will be in SD and not HD. They might replace it for the bad HDMI but I have heard of a few cases where they wouldn't. Call them up and ask for a replacement and see what they say. If it were me I would go ahead and watch the recordings that you want to see with component and then call for the replacement.

As previous poster stated, you should go ahead and watch the recordings you have now.

Do you have the protection plan?

If you do try to get it replaced, state that it will not power on at all and you have plugged it in to multiple working sockets.

hmm, no protection plan. I have Stanley Cup hockey games in this one that I wanted to keep. It sucks nobody has come up with software to get them to a PC.

I have no interest in recording them in SD

Have you seen this device? Since your component outputs are still working, it will allow you transfer your DVR content to a computer in HD. Unfortunately, you have to work in real time, but if you want to watch that content again, just copy it while you watch.

HD PVR Product overview

Check with your insurance company as they might cover lighting damage.

Lightning is ususally a covered peril, however, the op would be better off with DTV replacing it because of his deductible. Plus most companies are now surchargeing HO policies whenever a claim is submitted.

Have you seen this device? Since your component outputs are still working, it will allow you transfer your DVR content to a computer in HD. Unfortunately, you have to work in real time, but if you want to watch that content again, just copy it while you watch.

HD PVR Product overview

Thanks RBTO. No, I had not seen that device. Looks pretty nice. Definitely something to think about. Real time recording isn't the end of the world. I could always walk away after I got it going if I didn't want to watch at the time. Thanks for providing that link. I appreciate it.

Check with your insurance company as they might cover lighting damage.

Thanks Sergei, they would cover it but, as DVDDAD goes on to say in his post, I have a $500 deductible. All it would do is apply to that in case something else happens this year. I was just really wanting to know what to expect when I called them about it.

I think what I'm going to do, since I was wanting to get a second DVR anyway is just get another DVR for now. I guess I can live with the second DVR being component connection only. I can always call and try to get them to replace it a little later if I simply can't live with it. That looks like my best option right now.

Last edited:
I called them. I had to cancel a free 3 months of HD extra pack they gave me, that I don't watch. I did not ask about a replacement receiver, since I said for now I'll keep it and add an extra box. I wanted to add one anyway. She was telling me they had some deal on movie channels and I had a movie credit yada, yada. I declined and said... if they want to do something for me, they can give me a good deal on another DVR. I was not looking to get it free. If she had said, the best I can do is $99, I would have said, lay it on me. Alas that wasn't the case. $199 and they tell you they can't guarantee a model number since I said I wanted an HR-24.

I told her no thanks and that was that.

If I'm going to pay $199, I'll get it from a 3rd party so I'm guaranteed an HR-24. My HR-22 is slooooow

Thanks Sergei, they would cover it but, as DVDDAD goes on to say in his post, I have a $500 deductible. All it would do is apply to that in case something else happens this year. I was just really wanting to know what to expect when I called them about it.

I think what I'm going to do, since I was wanting to get a second DVR anyway is just get another DVR for now. I guess I can live with the second DVR being component connection only. I can always call and try to get them to replace it a little later if I simply can't live with it. That looks like my best option right now.

Most homeowners policies deductibles aren't a yearly deductible, but they are a per occurance deductible. If you add the home protection plan and call in afterwards Dish will likely replace the receiver for a nominal charge.

I'm sorry I"m not used to being in the D* forums, as you can see from my signature I've been a long time Dish customer and my previous answer pertains to how Dish would handle the problem. I'm only here because I'm considering a switch to D* after E* pulled down SNY. Someone with more knowledge about DirecTV and their protection plan should chime in.

may I suggest editing your SIG line a bit to make it more forum friendly please? Maybe just not in paragraph form? Thanks

Most homeowners policies deductibles aren't a yearly deductible, but they are a per occurance deductible. If you add the home protection plan and call in afterwards Dish will likely replace the receiver for a nominal charge.

Hmmm ya, now that I think about it, it might be per occurence. In fact, it probably is. Thanks for that reminder

may I suggest editing your SIG line a bit to make it more forum friendly please? Maybe just not in paragraph form? Thanks

How's this? I cut out the spaces and put all the info for the receiver on one line. It will be changed again after I make the switch to D*, but put in a quick fix. I really didn't like the old signature myself, thanks for the nudge to tweak it a little.

1). When we post with problems, others can post solutions based on the equipment we have without asking, "What equipment do you have?". 2). To add credibility to your posts; having someone with experience with the equipment and set up similar to yours or equipment that you're interested in, helps some users decimate conflicting information from users with little or no experience with the equipment in question. 3). I'm not very good with witty quotes or jokes of the day and personally don't see their use in a signature line. 4). Helps the user keep track of his own equipment. 5). Because you can. 6) To bug people like you. (just kidding but I couldn't come out with anything else and I was trying for a top ten list but obviously fell short).

I've used the same signature for years in the Dish Forum and no one has ever questioned or commented on it. Since I've been following the DirecTV forum, I have been wondering why there are always twice the amount of posts in the #2 Satellite provider, Dishnetwork Forum compared to the #1 Satellite provider, DirecTV forum. Is it because the DirecTV folks aren't as friendly? Afterall we know the guys over at DBStalk aren't as friendly as the folks here at SatelliteGuys are and they have more DirecTV users than Dishnetwork users.

Last edited:
1) Is it because the DirecTV folks aren't as friendly? Afterall we know the guys over at DBStalk aren't as friendly as the folks here at SatelliteGuys are and they have more DirecTV users than Dishnetwork users.

I'll agree with you there.....it's why I left and came here.....

Call and add the protection plan ASAP. You could get another lightning stike at any moment that would total out your DVR.
'nuff said.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)