LIL Stations moving To Echostar X @ 110

MikeD-C05 said:
But what I thought that the Fcc intended in the true spirt of the law they wrote was to have all your locals confined to one dish , not split over 2 or 3 satellites , even if it is all on satellite dish.

One sish measn one dish. Not one satellite or one satellite location. What was questionable ws putting some locals on the wings with others at the core. The superdish solution was compliant. So interestingly enough would be putting ALL of your locals at 61.5 or 148 with the core elsewhere.

MikeD-C05 said:
But what I thought that the Fcc intended in the true spirt of the law they wrote was to have all your locals confined to one dish , not split over 2 or 3 satellites , even if it is all on satellite dish.

Currently these cities have locals split between 110 & 119
Hartford, CT
Johnstown, PA
Harlington, TX
Denver (sort of…KWGN is CONUS due to a Superstation)
Chicago
Boston
Colorado Springs (again, due to KWGN)
Ft Myers, FL
Yakima, WA

These have locals on 110 but their PBS is on 119 (Nat’l feed)
Santa Barbara
Bakersfield, CA
Sherman/Ada

Any area that has a “State” PBS (Miss, Georgia, Arkansas) and has SuperDish locals the PBS is on 110

Iceberg said:
Any area that has a “State” PBS (Miss, Georgia, Arkansas) and has SuperDish locals the PBS is on 110

Yes, here the Chattanooga dma covers parts of both TN and GA and possibly a little of AL(not sure about AL), all of Chattanooga locals are on 105 including the TN PBS, however we also get GPTV-PBS which is the GA "State" PBS and it is on 110.

Here is the text from the Dish Network site explaining the move:

On February 15, 2006, EchoStar successfully launched the newest member of the EchoStar satellite fleet, EchoStar 10. EchoStar 10 is a spot-beam satellite that will enable us to provide additional local-into-local service. We expect to have EchoStar 10 in service prior to June 8, 2006, at the 110 degree slot. At the present time, EchoStar 10 is undergoing tests at the 138 degree slot. In order to operate the satellite at the 110 degree slot, however, we need to complete successful test operations and finalize coordination issues. We also need final authorization from the Federal Communications Commission to move the satellite to the 110 degree slot and commence operation. We are confident that, once EchoStar 10 is in full service, local broadcast stations will be available to viewers on the same satellite dish as other local stations. In some markets, however, some subscribers might need different equipment in order to receive all local broadcast signals from a single satellite dish. Any additional equipment would be provided to subscribers free of charge. Please check this website for future updates.

MikeD-C05 said:

As the government affairs guy at work says all the time, "If they wanted it a particular way, they should have said how they want it in plain English."

The SHVREA specifically says says that all the stations from one TV market has to be receivable using one DISH ANTENNA. It says noting about having to be from the same satellite slot nor does it say anything about the dish size.

The SHVREA does also says in plain English that the local channels do not have to be on the same satellite dish as the basic channels. It also says that the HD local channels do not have to be on the same dish as the SD locals or the basic channels.

Charlie wanted to only carry the big 4 networks and nothing else origionally when he started LIL. Under the must carry rules that if you carry one station in a dma then all stations in the dma are eligible for must carry, Charlie had to carry all the religious and ethnic channels and other independent channels. So Charlie in order to spite the Fcc must carry rules , relegated all the religious and Mexican channels to the side satellites requiring subs to have 2 sat dishes in order to get all their locals . Dish only would do the second dish install if the customer requested it. The Fcc was angry at Dish doing this because it disenfranchised many spanish and religious subs , and so they forced this one dish solution rule. Dish is following the letter of the law on paper like a lawyer with their one dish solution like the dish 1000 and the super dishes , but that is not what the Fcc intended. They forced this change on Charlie to punish him for thumbing his nose at the Fcc over the must carry rules.

Slight revisionism going on here. Dish did not give away the second slot dish until the FCC forced the them under the "equal treatment" clause of the SHVIA. The complaint from the minor stations to the FCC was that they were not being treated equally as stated on the SHVIA. The FCC, spineless as they are, ruled that as long as Dish offered a second dish for free with free installation and no further obligation to the subscriber it would consider that equal treatment. If the FCC had a spine, they would have ruled otherwise and forced Dish to put all locals from the same market on the same satellite location.

Either way when Dish does the Echostar 10 uplinks for All the sd locals on the Dish 500 and on the 110 satellite they will be finally be fufiling both the letter and the spirit of the law the Fcc intended.

Correction here...the laws are written and passed by Congress, signed by the President. The FCC is charged with regulating this particular law. The FCC makes no laws. The intertions in this case were those of Congress.

Let us hope that the Fcc doesn't get a wild hair up their butt to make Dish do the same one dish solution with the hd locals as well. I would like to see both sd and hd for my area ( Beaumont/ Pt. Arthur , Texas) up on the satellite by the decades end.

Again, the SHVREA, the law that congress passed and the FCC is charged with regulating, specifically states that the HD and SD locals are two separate things and do not require one dish for both.

See ya
Tony

Last edited:
Since most locals will be at 110 and 119 in the future with Echostar X taking most of the load for locals.

Does anyone see the Voom channels, Espn2 and Universal moving from 61.5 or 129 to 110 or 119?

If you have a Dish 500, Superdish or Dish 1000, you already have the 110 satellite. If you have a D300 (119 only), you will need an upgrade. The only other way that you would be affected is if you are a Sky Angel subscriber only, then you only have a dish pointed at 61.5.

RandallA said:
Since most locals will be at 110 and 119 in the future with Echostar X taking most of the load for locals.

Does anyone see the Voom channels, Espn2 and Universal moving from 61.5 or 129 to 110 or 119?
Well, just speculating, that when MPEG-4 real-time encoding is up to speed, maybe. Of course, in time a lot of national SD channels will be going to HD, and they'll be taking up more transponder bandwidth, so all the satellite slots are still going to be required for the foreseeable future.

TNGTony said:
As the government affairs guy at work says all the time, "If they wanted it a particular way, they should have said how they want it in plain English."

The SHVREA specifically says says that all the stations from one TV market has to be receivable using one DISH ANTENNA. It says noting about having to be from the same satellite slot nor does it say anything about the dish size.

The SHVREA does also says in plain English that the local channels do not have to be on the same satellite dish as the basic channels. It also says that the HD local channels do not have to be on the same dish as the SD locals or the basic channels.

Slight revisionism going on here. Dish did not give away the second slot dish until the FCC forced the them under the "equal treatment" clause of the SHVIA. The complaint from the minor stations to the FCC was that they were not being treated equally as stated on the SHVIA. The FCC, spineless as they are, ruled that as long as Dish offered a second dish for free with free installation and no further obligation to the subscriber it would consider that equal treatment. If the FCC had a spine, they would have ruled otherwise and forced Dish to put all locals from the same market on the same satellite location.

Correction here...the laws are written and passed by Congress, signed by the President. The FCC is charged with regulating this particular law. The FCC makes no laws. The intertions in this case were those of Congress.

Again, the SHVREA, the law that congress passed and the FCC is charged with regulating, specifically states that the HD and SD locals are two separate things and do not require one dish for both.

See ya
Tony

I think you are splitting hairs over whether Congress made the law and whether the Fcc is in charge or regulating it. My point is that the Fcc and Charlie Ergen got into a pissing match over the way they wanted to Must carry rules to work. Charlie Ergen made sure he put the extra channels , as I have alread discussed, on the side satellite dish to thumb their nose at the Fcc and the law that the congress passed Shiva. They knew most subs would not ask for the side sat dish upgrade which would save Charlie money and undercut the true intention of the must carry laws. This disenfranchised the religious and the mexican subs who wanted to watch those stations.

Sometimes I think some of the people on this board dissect every thread comment to quivel over the smallest of details. The over all meaning is still the same. Charlie Ergen and the Fcc did not get along. Charlie has a long history of taunting the FCC and their interpetations of the laws.

Charlie Ergen started LiL before it was even legal to do so. He gave distant New York and L. A locals to anyone who wanted them back before their was ANY laws from the Congress dealing with Satellite or the FCC who inforced them. He did not want to carry any other networks except the main 4 and to sell the Superstations to everyone for extra money. He never wanted to carry the extra stations like the religious/Mexican/ Wb and Upn from each dma in the country.

Ironic now that the FCC changed the law and said if you can get distant satellite sd signal you can get the same in hd as well, that Charlie is dragging his heels on this. You would think he would want to make that money now with the distant hd signals. But maybe since he isn't charging extra upfront , for the hd locals he doesn't feel the need to do hd distants. I think I see why there are so many new fees now like the hd enabeling fees etc . Got to pay for those hd locals that he is giving subs for "free".

He did what he did to thumb his nose at the Fcc and the Shiva laws that congress passed. Now he has to finally come into compliance with these latest changes in the law and do channel shuffels to bring all the channels onto one dish ; superdish /dish 1000/ dish 500 or a side sat for all of the dma 's channels.

The fact is that we all argued a couple of years back about whether that the one super dish or dish 1000 would be in compliance with the new law or the way the Fcc interpeted it. I said back then that the one super dish spreading the locals over three satellites would be in compliance technically with the law even if that wasn't what the Fcc intended. IF I remember correctly, I was told then by several members of this and other web boards that I was WRONG and that would never work . Everyone said that isn't what the FCC intended. Funny now everyone is saying that it is what the FCC intended all along and now I am wrong to voice the opposite opinion, that was back then everyone elses understanding. ;)

Either way it looks like Dish won't be splitting any locals at all in the near future and they will put them on the Echostar 10 spotbeams . Especially if they have 49 spotbeams on that one satellite. So finally Dish and Charlie will be in full compliance , as I have said before with the the letter and the spirit of the law , that congress passed and the Fcc who interpeted it the way they did. All sd locals will be on one satellite dish , and on the 110 satellite spotbeams on Echostar 10. You will still need a side sat dish or a dish 1000 for the hd locals and all hd programming.

I wonder how all this will look in three years , if they really turn the analog channels off when the digital deadline finally gets here. God only knows what the new laws will say and the way the FCC interpets them. Of course if Dishnetwork changes ownership hands with someone like ATT, this might not all matter anyway.:p

Ya know if you guys didn't have to have your own little pissin duel over who said what, maybe we could get something constructive done like figure out the respective intents of the FCC and Congress with regards to this digital signal testing process that's supposed to become available soon.:D and did Chuck's little remark about HD DNS possibly in June have anything to do with it?

Iceberg said:
The main reason they are moving locals off 105, besides what dishcomm said, is that they lease 105. So they want to get rid of that as soon as possible :)
That goes back to my first post. Why move everything off a satellite that you are still going to be in contract to lease for a considerable amount of time? Are they moving locals off the 121 satellite too? Maybe we are missing something, charlie may have other plans for the 105 satellite like airing a ass load of international channels. Just a guess!!

i lost an install last Sat because the cust didn't want the larger antenna on his roof..I didn't have a viable ground mount location..He just said, he would stick with what he had..DTV...He had locals out of the Greensboro,NC DMA...On an 18" dish....
IMO Dish can't get rid of the SD monster quick enough

I ran into that alot too. For the life of me I don't understand the big deal about people not wanting bigger satellite dishes or not wanting them to be seen from the front. Who gives a sh*t? Its not like its a 8' BUD (C-Band). If I was married and my wife told me I couldn't put a superdish on my house or in my front yard I would slap the sh*t out of her. If I had a dish in the front yard and she told me to move it then I would tell her to move her bird feeder or bird bath or some sh*t like that out of the front yard. My god men, grow some nuts. Satellite dishes are beautiful and works of art, show the damn thing where everyone can see it. Someone needs to start making art out of satellite dishes. Have a statue made out of satellite dishes or something like that.

Call it "splitting hairs" if you wish, but words mean things. Saying that the "FCC made a law" or "changed a law" is completely wrong. The FCC interprets the law and regulates it as directed by Congress. It is not a trivial difference to be dismissed in a mire of confusing claims.

I will also restate that it was the FCC that ruled it was okay to split the locals as long as a second free dish was offered. Before that ruling, Dish did not give away the second dish. You had to buy it. The FCC had the oportunity to force a one dish or one satellite rule in 2002 when it acted on dozens of SHVIA non-colpiance complaints from local stations, but did not.

It was CONGRESSS, not the FCC that came up with a law (at the NAB's urging) to force a single DISH (not satellite) solution for all locals from any one market for true equal treatment. This provision of the law was placed in the SHVREA specifically to compell the FCC to force a one dish solution as was Congress' intention (not the FCC's since they ruled otherwise in 2002) when they passed the SHVIA in 2000.

See ya
Tony

BrettTRay said:
That goes back to my first post. Why move everything off a satellite that you are still going to be in contract to lease for a considerable amount of time? Are they moving locals off the 121 satellite too? Maybe we are missing something, charlie may have other plans for the 105 satellite like airing a ass load of international channels. Just a guess!!

I ran into that alot too. For the life of me I don't understand the big deal about people not wanting bigger satellite dishes or not wanting them to be seen from the front. Who gives a sh*t? Its not like its a 8' BUD (C-Band). If I was married and my wife told me I couldn't put a superdish on my house or in my front yard I would slap the sh*t out of her. If I had a dish in the front yard and she told me to move it then I would tell her to move her bird feeder or bird bath or some sh*t like that out of the front yard. My god men, grow some nuts. Satellite dishes are beautiful and works of art, show the damn thing where everyone can see it. Someone needs to start making art out of satellite dishes. Have a statue made out of satellite dishes or something like that.

You are hitting raw gum nerve with the toothbrush...
I may present the "aw shucks" front when a cust cancels on site because of the appearanceor location of the dish....When I drive away I have very evil thoughts..I look back and think of what I can break at the person's home I just left that is equalin value to the revenue they just cost me...Most of the time when one spouse calls the other on the phone about dish location it's a non starter....I had a woman tell me the dish looked "tacky"..I asked her to define 'tacky"..She said it was well...(stammering looking for the right word to sound profound) it means...."tacky"...
I was livid by this time becuase i had spent about 45 mins walking around with the husband discussing the job..The this spineless lump of useless organic matter says he has to "check with the wife"....

I made it very clear that I was not happy and informed them to basically sh*t or get off the pot becuase I had other customers that required my presence at their homes as well...
Finally he gets off the phone with his friggin boss(wife) I didn't even give him a chance to say anyhting..I told him it was best to rschedule the job . I had other confirmed work to do and I was not goign to risk the ire of two other customers becuase this guy and his fat assed wife were having a spat....

The guy stood there palms up asking where I was going..I told him I had to get to work that was confirmed ot be done..I told him it was Dish policy to complete as many of assigned jobs as possible on the day they were assigned....

I figure if someone cancells on me, they are no longer a customer and as such no longer extended the courtesies of a customer... Only once did I snap at somebody who got very belligerent with me..The job was a no line of sight..The guy just wouldn't let it go..I told him it was impossible to get sat recept for the obvious reasons....He was pissed because I would not set up a dish to prove it to him..I told him I was not going to put in an hours worth of work to get a conclusion I already knew the outcome to....He got really pissed and started the barrage of obscenties..I didn't care I just packed my stuff up and started to leave..He got real close while I was getting into my truck and that's when I cut loose on him...
I gave this guy the old verbal beat down.....Then I told him it would be unwise to get any closer...I told him my bite was far worse than my bite.. I reached into the back seat of the truck and picked up the heaviest object I could find..My Antec compression crimpers...This thing weighs about what, two pounds..Imagine that thing bouncing off of your skull.....The guy, imagining the dent in his coconut wisely backed off....

TNGTony said:
Call it "splitting hairs" if you wish, but words mean things. Saying that the "FCC made a law" or "changed a law" is completely wrong. The FCC interprets the law and regulates it as directed by Congress. It is not a trivial difference to be dismissed in a mire of confusing claims.

I will also restate that it was the FCC that ruled it was okay to split the locals as long as a second free dish was offered. Before that ruling, Dish did not give away the second dish. You had to buy it. The FCC had the oportunity to force a one dish or one satellite rule in 2002 when it acted on dozens of SHVIA non-colpiance complaints from local stations, but did not.

It was CONGRESSS, not the FCC that came up with a law (at the NAB's urging) to force a single DISH (not satellite) solution for all locals from any one market for true equal treatment. This provision of the law was placed in the SHVREA specifically to compell the FCC to force a one dish solution as was Congress' intention (not the FCC's since they ruled otherwise in 2002) when they passed the SHVIA in 2000.

See ya
Tony

I am sorry that you miss the point of what I was trying to say, since you are hung up on trival differences between who created the law and who enforced it. I won't go into it again since you seem fixated on the differences and not the message of what I was trying to say. Since you seem to want to be Right so badly let me remind you that sometimes spelling counts too. Take a look at how you spelt congress above. I do not have time to argue back and forth with someone who always wants to be right and I will move on from this thread.

Have a nice day. :cool:

Last edited: