LIL Stations moving To Echostar X @ 110

EchoStar 7 and EchoStar 8 were not designed to handle Must Carry channels because the Must Carry law had not passed. Someone did not think the law would ever come to pass. The result was a make do with what they had.

BrettTRay said:
My god men, grow some nuts. Satellite dishes are beautiful and works of art, show the damn thing where everyone can see it. Someone needs to start making art out of satellite dishes. Have a statue made out of satellite dishes or something like that.

I prefer to have them hidden as much as possible - I have two dish 500's one mostly hidden, but the second is visible from the street. I feel that if it is possible the things need to be out of site as much as possible. This will keep the cranky neighbors from having the chance to complain.

Also, this preference is not just for asthetics, but out of fear of having the thing vandalized or stolen!

MikeD-C05 said:
Since you seem to want to be Right so badly let me remind you that sometimes spelling counts too. Take a look at how you spelt congress above.

Is spelt even a word? Sorry, couldn't resist :D

JohnH said:
Looks like San Francisco, San Diego, Harrisburg/Lancaster/York/Lebanon. and Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo will be moving from 119 to 110 sometime.

I was just at home catching some NCAA action and saw a notice in the program guide, along with two new channels: 9808--XKGO (the San Francisco ABC station) and a similar one about XKTVU (the Fox station). The notice said something about if you can't see KGO or KTVU in their normal locations in the PG, give Dish a call.

So it looks like they will be moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettTRay
My god men, grow some nuts. <snip>....

KenSoren said:
I prefer to have them hidden as much as possible - I feel that if it is possible the things need to be out of site as much as possible. This will keep the cranky neighbors from having the chance to complain.

Also, this preference is not just for asthetics, but out of fear of having the thing vandalized or stolen!

This is getting to be quite an interresting thread:D

Another reason for them not wanting to use the SuperDishes anymore is probably due to the fact that they are expensive, harder to install, and more time consuming to have installed.

waltinvt said:
Is spelt even a word? Sorry, couldn't resist :D

According to spell check on this web site it is. Didn't indicate any errors in spelling. But spell check and I could be wrong, unlike some others who like to point out flaws in others. :p

BrettTRay said:
I ran into that alot too. For the life of me I don't understand the big deal about people not wanting bigger satellite dishes or not wanting them to be seen from the front. Who gives a sh*t? Its not like its a 8' BUD (C-Band). If I was married and my wife told me I couldn't put a superdish on my house or in my front yard I would slap the sh*t out of her. If I had a dish in the front yard and she told me to move it then I would tell her to move her bird feeder or bird bath or some sh*t like that out of the front yard. My god men, grow some nuts. Satellite dishes are beautiful and works of art, show the damn thing where everyone can see it. Someone needs to start making art out of satellite dishes. Have a statue made out of satellite dishes or something like that.
The telling phrase here is "If I was married...". :D

I just couldn't resist this......................

RTCDude said:
The telling phrase here is "If I was married...". :D
Originally Posted by BrettTRay
Satellite dishes are beautiful and works of art, show the damn thing where everyone can see it. Someone needs to start making art out of satellite dishes. Have a statue made out of satellite dishes or something like that.

I am married and my wife and I like the "shrines" that we designed together. Although she wanted the 2nd planter smaller (the 61.5) we compromised and did it that way. We have had no complaints from the neighbor's. And a few compliments. Thanks:
Lyle

Last edited:
KenSoren said:
I prefer to have them hidden as much as possible - I have two dish 500's one mostly hidden, but the second is visible from the street. I feel that if it is possible the things need to be out of site as much as possible. This will keep the cranky neighbors from having the chance to complain.

Neighbors complain?..ABout what?....Screw your neighbors..If their lives are that empty that they will drive down the street llooking for thiongs (that are nonme of their business) to bithch about, then to hell with them..when they start paying your mortgage, they can have a say ..That's what the FCC fact sheet on dish placement is for..To setle these petty disputes beteween neighbors who want what they pay for and those who cannot keep their nose out of other people's business

You aren't worried about your neighbors are you? I have gone to customer's homes that think the way you do..Quite frankly if you are going to nit pick on whether or not the dish can be partially seen from the street or totally seen and I have to spend an hour at your home only to have you cancel on me, you're wasting my time..I would just tell you to make up your mind whether you want the product or not..Technicians are NOT your hired help fo rthe day..Some of us are busines people trying to make a living..

Look, whenever possible I will put the dish on the back of the house or the back portion of the roof....yes esthetics are a large consideration of dish pla cement..But I will place it wherever the need is to get line of sight. If that means it will be visible from the street, so be it..The cust then has a decision ot make..Get the system and be able to se the dish from the street or they can stick with what they have....

I have friends that live in a neighborhood that has covenants against satellite dishes. Probably a hold over from the BUD years.

I wouldn't live where people can tell you what you can or can't do with your property :no

Quote: "I wouldn't live where people can tell you what you can or can't do with your property"

I could not agree more!

BTW, in addition to the equipment shown in my signature below, I also have a big Channel Master 4228 with a pre-amp & rotor and TWO, yes TWO Sirius Satellite antennas. My neighbors don't mind at all and in fact, I help them with any TV reception & computer issues they may have.

--Doug

dishcomm said:
Look, whenever possible I will put the dish on the back of the house or the back portion of the roof....yes esthetics are a large consideration of dish pla cement..But I will place it wherever the need is to get line of sight. If that means it will be visible from the street, so be it..The cust then has a decision ot make..Get the system and be able to se the dish from the street or they can stick with what they have....

I think we are saying the same thing here. If the install works with out of sight equipment it should be done that way, otherwise set it up so it works. I hope you don't get many customers like the one you described - that would be frustrating:confused:

Greg Mueller said:
I have friends that live in a neighborhood that has covenants against satellite dishes. Probably a hold over from the BUD years.

I wouldn't live where people can tell you what you can or can't do with your property :no
They can have all the covenants and restrictions they want but you can place a satellite dish on your property.

My brother's old neighborhood had a restriction saying 18" dishes only. He got a SuperDish and someone must of got mad at his dish and called him in. The HOA contacted him and said take it down or have a lien placed on his property for violations. Of course he got mad at me because I said it was legal. After straightening him out, he informed them that he was within legal rights according to the FCC documentation on the issue and they said they didn't care about that, since it didn't apply to them. Well, he ended up getting a call from the HOA's legal contractor and he quickly gave them my attorney's number and told them to stop "harassing" him or he would be forced take legal action against the HOA for harassment.

He ended up moving later on but never had another issue. Ironically, there are numerous SuperDishes in the old neighborhood. Amazing when someone stands up to a bully and beats 'em that everyone else becomes a badass too.

bobr66 said:
Any word on if they will move the CBSHD channels from the wings to 110 or 129?

110 not likely anytime this year. 129 already has KCBS-DT local channel. Whether it will become a distant is not known. CBS HD East is not likely to leave 61.5 unless it is cancelled altogether.

Airblair said:
9808--XKGO (the San Francisco ABC station) and a similar one about XKTVU (the Fox station).

How long will these two stations be located on 110 CONUS? Until Echo 10 is operational?

Greg Mueller said:

i get static all the time from nosy neighbors while on a job...
Last time this lady comes home and right away she starts quoting me chapter and verse..I tersely interupted her and reminded her that it was in her best interst to mind her own business...Her reply was that my cust was going to be fined....I said what do you care..I told her I suspected she had a different agenda...i concluded our litle chat by telleing her that until her name appeared on the deed to the home I was working on she could do what she wished...
I then told her to have a nice day..She wasn't gonna let that go ..so she retorted 'who do you work for"? I said "me"...I asked what part of "have a nice day" didn't you understand?..She harrumphed her fat ass into her house..She then sent her teenaged son out to check out my truck to look for signs..When he looked into the cab, I walked up on him and scared the living crap out of him..i warned him that if he even thought about touching my property he would be talking to a Sherriff's Deputy...He said nothing and with tail between legs went into the house....A little while later the husband came home...He came out a few mins later and looked at me and my truck and then went back inside..Good move..I was in no mood to put up with any nonsense....