Lincoln, NE Customers Upset over New Software

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

briansanders007

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
I thought I would pass on this amusing article about how TWC is so cheap that it decided to take on building their own software instead of paying for the Passport software loaded on most equipment. TWC has used the Lincoln, NE as the test market before it rolls this out to the rest of the country.

Article from local paper (Lincoln Journal Star)
http://journalstar.com/articles/2007/02/10/news/local/doc45cd0b566dd31679004395.tx

link was moved..fixed!

Last edited:
I thought I would pass on this amusing article about how TWC is so cheap that it decided to take on building their own software instead of paying for the Passport software loaded on most equipment. TWC has used the Lincoln, NE as the test market before it rolls this out to the rest of the country.

Article from local paper (Lincoln Journal Star)
http://journalstar.com/articles/2007/02/10/news/local/doc45cd0b566dd31679004395.tx

link was moved..fixed!

has nothing to do with "being cheap" in fact its costing them more money to create this new software then it would to keep the old. The problem with Passport is TWC cannot add its own software/features/programs into it. Its sorta like say if Windows XP didnt allow you to install your own programs. Your forced to use only the stuff availible on windows and not any third party stuff. The software TWC is developing is to make it better for TWC and easier to add extra features instead of waiting for aptiv to update passport.

they have to test it somewhere sucks they chose your area and they didnt beta test it well it seems.

Yes its being tested in some TWC markets first. Then we will be repalceing the current PassPort software with this. Hopefully before it gets to oralndo all the bugs will be worked out. The biggest advantage is it allows BHN.TWC to change the software and add things to it. Where as passport was a closed system, to change anything took an act of god. With this new software its more "open source" if you will so BHn.TWC can add features whenever they want.

I am going to infer from your post that eSATA is NOT supported currently on the SA8300HD. Wow. Bummer. I was about to add some space to my chronically cramped DVR.

Hmmm, according to SA the SATA port is active from the factory, TW disables the SATA port.

Anything SA says is based on using their own software, SARA. If a provider chooses to use a 3rd-party software to run on the boxes, the hardware support becomes up to the new software. SA's software isn't "better" necessarily either.

TWC normally uses Pioneer (now Aptiv) Passport Echo software. That software can and does support SATA but most TWC divisions are using older versions that don't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)