Lincoln

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK

Wow, a powerful movie. A movie about a subject that I never thought about before. It is a behind the scenes look at the political wranglings of getting the 13th amendment passed through the House of Representatives. An outstanding all star cast and a superb recreation of 1865 will probably net the movie many Academy Award nominations. I especially liked Tommy Lee Jones's acting.

There is a bit of grizzly war scenes, dead bodies and body parts.

The audience applauded at the end.

The movie clocks in at 2 hours 29 minutes, but it did not seem long to me. I quite enjoyed it and was fascinated by it. Yes everyone knows the ending, but it was very interesting to see how we got there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw Lincoln this afternoon. No 3D, no CGI, no special effects wizardry...just a great story and excellent acting. Outstanding! A must see.

Daniel Day-Lewis - A++
Sally Field - A+
James Spader - A
Hal Holbrook - A
Tommy Lee Jones - A
Bruce McGill - A
The rest of the cast - A- to A

I am trying to decide if my nieces and nephews are old/mature enough to see this movie. I think the 14/15 years old ones would probably appreciate it, but not sure about the 12/13 years old ones if they would understand it well enough. It would definitely be good for a long discussion on abolition. They have all read about slavery and Lincoln in school, but it is quite different to understand the political angles and the wrangling of votes. Not to mention some of the horrors of war which were portrayed very different from the usual video game type violence a lot of movies have.

I wouldn't take my 10-year old daughter to see Ted, but I would have gladly taken her to see this film if she didn't have a Girl Scout event to attend. I suppose it depends on the kid, but I don't see any reason why a 10-year old can't understand this important part of our history...just make sure they have popcorn and soda.

I saw it on Friday, and want to see it again. Incredible. Loved every minute of it. Can't wait to own it.

"I am the president of the United States of America, cloaked in immense power. Go and get me those votes!"

I think Tommy Lee Jones stole the show in many ways, what a perfect Thaddeus Stevens.

It was number 3 at the box office again this weekend. Unlike the usual trend the movie actually went up 18.9% in the second week. Word of mouth must be pretty good. Both times I saw it, the theater was sold out.

Loved it. img489.jpg

Loved the acting, but it didn't leave me wanting to walk back in and watch it again. Look forward to seeing it when it's released on Blu-ray.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I was not anxious to see it again, but this time I went with the family. I was not bored with it, was still entertained. I enjoyed the second showing. I am not planning on seeing it again, unless with a new group of people. It does not suffer with repeat viewing. Visually there is still a lot to see in a second showing that you miss concentrating on the story. They really did a good job with the sets and costumes. Also, they vary the color pallet a lot to reflect mood. An excellent job of recreating 1865.

Nothing really specific, but will spoiler anyways.

The issue I had with this movie is with a few exceptions, a lot of problems were solved almost right after they were brought up. We have to win over this guy - done, this guy, done, this guy, done. Oh no here's this other thi- done. Because of this, I thought the flow (editing/plot) seemed a little strange to me. Sure, it's based on real events, but just how it was presented left me with this feeling. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I read someone else complaining about the above and it clicked. That being said, could be some of the best acting I'll see my entire life between DDL and TLJ. Just fantastic. Loved the movie, look forward to the Blu-Ray and hope for a Director's cut or something.

Nothing really specific, but will spoiler anyways.

The issue I had with this movie is with a few exceptions, a lot of problems were solved almost right after they were brought up. We have to win over this guy - done, this guy, done, this guy, done. Oh no here's this other thi- done. Because of this, I thought the flow (editing/plot) seemed a little strange to me. Sure, it's based on real events, but just how it was presented left me with this feeling. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I read someone else complaining about the above and it clicked. That being said, could be some of the best acting I'll see my entire life between DDL and TLJ. Just fantastic. Loved the movie, look forward to the Blu-Ray and hope for a Director's cut or something.

True, but I recall a few of the congressman (namely two of them) were back-and-forth on their vote. How would you like to be an aspiring politician and be related to one of the men who voted against the 13th Amendment. Talk about a major career obstacle to hurdle.

Since much of the work involved in "getting me the votes" was NOT done by the president, to spend any more time on it would slow the movie down, and take away from the story. sure the identifying of votes was painted with a broad stroke, but it made for a good film. No complaints from me about that. It left for more screen time for name-calling between Dems and Radical Republicans. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts