Linksys Music Bridge

gbjbany

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
El Dorado Hills, CA Nr Sacramento
Im just getting into Internet Radio, escpecially to listen to European Music, im a yahoo user, so i use their launchcast app.
Has any body tried this this ZDNet Linksys WMB54G Wireless-G Music Bridge Review & Comparison
?
I want to be able to tranmsit the music from my pc to my av system, so i can listen to it in the family room, cables are a pain so looking for a wireless solution.

The ZDnet review mentions another device from logitech, which it says doesnt support the yahoo music engine, but has a remote control. Not sure if this will work, both reviews are over a year old so wondered if anybody had any more current info.

Well an update on this. I bought the DSM-520 from Best Buy, 135+ tax, good price, too good, when i got it home the manuals, the cables and the software cd was missing. got the software off the dlink site and had a spare av cable lying around

So i got the wireless up and running no problem, connected it to my TV and sound system, then tried to configure the media services. Oh well that was a nightmare.
It supports pc file sharing effectively, which i got working after much firewall changing
The it was on to the online zone, again no big issues but only two services, and i bought it for the yahoo online services it only had , live365 and vtuner (trial version).

Anyway pretty much a disaster, so im taking it back.

It did stream the audio, didnt try video, with my wireless but just not the content i wanted. oh well keep on looking.:hungry:

Well an update on this. I bought the DSM-520 from Best Buy, 135+ tax, good price, too good, when i got it home the manuals, the cables and the software cd was missing. got the software off the dlink site and had a spare av cable lying around

So i got the wireless up and running no problem, connected it to my TV and sound system, then tried to configure the media services. Oh well that was a nightmare.
It supports pc file sharing effectively, which i got working after much firewall changing
The it was on to the online zone, again no big issues but only two services, and i bought it for the yahoo online services it only had , live365 and vtuner (trial version).

Anyway pretty much a disaster, so im taking it back.

It did stream the audio, didnt try video, with my wireless but just not the content i wanted. oh well keep on looking.:hungry:

I don't believe Yahoo LaunchCast will work but if you just want to play back Yahoo Music Unlimited downloaded music tracks this is what you would do.

You need to use Windows Media Connect and import your music into it. You may see a message on the D-Link once you switch to the Windows Media Connect server that this player can now play protected content.

I will say this much in that I have a D-Link DSM-320 and I hate the darn thing. I would however suggest for videos etc that you download and install TVersity as this seems to work so much better than the D-Link software.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)