Linksys, netgear, belkin

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have started to use the less expensive cisco routers. I have business uses for them so the high cost ($250 wired - $350 wireless, 800 series) can at least be written off, but they have a much higher build quality and you can get yearly maintenance contracts on them. The only issue I have with them is that they are not consumer friendly at all for programming, but once you have it programmed they are rock solid, and very fast.

I've had a Dlink 624 for years. Pretty much rock solid. Recently upgraded to a Dlink 655, for wireless N and QOS. Great so far.

The Belkin are the lowest-cost "name brand" routers I've ran across and their low cost turns me off. Walmart sells 'em, right ?

I was getting ready to start a new thread with my experience tonight with Belkin but will use Van's thread instead. For Christmas I got a Kodak 10" wireless picture fame. Since I have only this one computer at home I did not have a need for a wireless router. This picture frame is capable of getting news, weather and other stuff but requires a router. I didn't need these features but felt what the heck lets try it. First of all I do not like Kodak software on my computer. Been down that road with one of their cameras. To down load pictures to the frame is nothing short of a pia as well. Once you get the thing programed it' seems to work ok. Back to Belkin...... I bought a cheap g router for 22 bucks. I could not get the WPS Security light to come on. I tried everything I knew reading the manual which in my opinion is just about useless. I finally called their Tech Support. 1st guy tried some things but couldn't get that darn light to come on and transfered my call to tier 2 support. This guy was drunk! No s**t. Drunk! After about 10 minutes I hung up with him and called back. This new guy tried some of the things the other two did with no results and escalated my call to a higher level who was to call me back. Never got a call. I called them again and got this guy who was good. He determined that the security protocols are working but the indicator light doesn't work. I know you get what you pay for but will never buy another Belkin anything. It does work though. Sort of. About the only thing positive was wait times to talk to tech support which was about two to three minutes each call.:(

Last edited:
Yep wally world sells it as do a few other places. Walmart used to sell motorola wireless products which were cheaper than link and net and I still have a wireless laptop card that works great though I have no laptop.

Thanks for the headsup Frank, it sounds like tech support was on a holiday of its own so I will be avoiding belkin for now.

I've pretty much decided to stay with netgear and have found a great deal on a WNR834B for $19.99 after rebates that I'll be taking advantage of. This allows me to more easily get a usb adapter for my comp and I'll just hardwire my wifes comp for now.

Netgear WNR834B Wireless N Router - 270Mbps, 802.11n (Draft N), 4-Port, RangeMax (Recertified) RB-WNR834B at TigerDirect.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)