Looking for help with a new WNR2000V3 Netgear n300 router

thechaz05

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 26, 2011
Irwin
I decided to upgrade my router from my very old wrt linksys and I went with the wnr2000v3 from netgear and I have had nothing but trouble with it. I have spent more than 6 hours on the phone with india and replaced the router once already. I have only had this for 7 days. The problem is what I have found (internet search) to be a very common problem in that my wireless drops out every few minutes. The router is not dropping it's broadcast, just losing connection then it comes back a few seconds later. I know it's dropping out because the information bubble keeps popping up and if I happen to be loading a page when it happens I get page cannot be displayed. The operating system is XP. I have tried different firmware versions and different channels. I have nothing else (cordless phone, baby monitor, etc.) at the 2.4 range. Netgear tech support (iyogi :facepalm) has had me replace the router and the replacement is doing the same thing. The last thing I tried was disabling the upnp. This did not solve the problem either. I am going insane. Please help, I cannot spend another night on the phone with india not understanding anything they say and letting them control my computer trying to sell me crap.

I would not think a microwave would be the culprit as this happens all the time day and night. It goes out every couple of minutes. I am so irritated by this right now. I had zero problems with my linksys router. I only upgraded because it was almost 7 years old. Not sure how to check about a nearby cordless phone?

Last edited:
if you have an Android device, try a free wifi analyzer. it might show you another wap that is stepping on your signal.

there are probably ones that exist for ios as well, but i don't use an ios device to be certain.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

John Kotches said:
if you have an Android device, try a free wifi analyzer. it might show you another wap that is stepping on your signal.

there are probably ones that exist for ios as well, but i don't use an ios device to be certain.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

there are 4 others, I am on ch1, 2 are on ch6, 1 is on ch3, and one us on ch11. But the other ones are pretty far off decible whise from mine.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Had this problem with a WNDR3400v2 and a wireless repeater losing signal. Needed to change the max speed of the wireless connection down from 300 to 145.

kenny4269 said:
Had this problem with a WNDR3400v2 and a wireless repeater losing signal. Needed to change the max speed of the wireless connection down from 300 to 145.

Thanks, but I tried that too. I gave up and took it back. Got linksys E1200. That one seems to be working and the wifi footprint is better. Of course I did have to disable the WMM feature in order to get my smartphone to get decent download speed.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

I saw this on another website and it worked for me.

"Hey all,
I’ve been having this problem for months and think I’ve found the solution.In the web interface for the router, under Advanced Settings \ Advanced Setup \ Wireless Settings there’s a section for WPS settings.The WPS settings contain the PIN for the router as well as an option for:To prevent PIN compromise, auto disable the PIN after [x] failed PIN connections, until router reboots.I unchecked this, restarted the router and it all seems to be good. I haven’t had the issue for a few days, which is a record since it first began to occur.Someone wiser in networks than I can probably advice on what unchecking this means in terms of security, but it fixes the issue and right now that’s all I care about.Cass."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)