Linksys Router Issue

ab187

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Kingwood, TX
Hello All,

I have a old Linksys router that I planed to load dd-wrt onto. In preparation I performed a hard reset on the router (held down the reset button for 30 seconds). The 5 Ethernet lights lit up and the power light started flashing after doing so. The problem is the lights 5 Ethernet lights are constantly illuminated and the power light wont stop blinking. The router will not respond at all. I can't access it through the browser-based control panel and it wont respond to any pings I send through the command prompt.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to recover it? Is it completely bricked?

Thanks

3540220771_46cb2a98f7.jpg

Unplug the power, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in. If that doesn't work, try hard resetting it again.

If/when you are ready to flash it, make sure you use the exact build of DD-WRT for your model and version of router or it will brick as well.

Also check and make sure the power supply is the correct one. Power supplys with the voltage that isnt correct will do this too.

We have a winner :D It turns out it was the power supply. I bought the router used from ebay and I guess they gave me the wrong transformer. Luckily I had another transformer from a old linksys print server and it is working great now.

Thanks for the replies everyone,

We have a winner :D It turns out it was the power supply. I bought the router used from ebay and I guess they gave me the wrong transformer. Luckily I had another transformer from a old linksys print server and it is working great now.

Thanks for the replies everyone,
Good luck with flashing DD-WRT. It is a huge upgrade over the Linksys firmware. Let us know how it turns out. I have an Asus router that I flashed with DD-WRT and I love it. Crank up that TX power and no more connection problems.:up What version of the WRT54G did you get?

I knew this from personal experance :) Im running a WRT300N that has DDWRT on it..

Too funny. I had this exact problem yesterday while adding my old Linksys router with dd-wrt to my mothers house so she would have wireless access. I pulled the old one out and put the new one in with the same power adapter mainly because I didn't want to have to crawl behind the entertainment stand. The router and entertainment stand had the last laugh.

Bill

Is the firmware upgrade really worth it, what real difference does it make.
My WII and VIp 722 (connected with a bridge) are connected wirelessly to my router, also I have VOIP so that modem is also connected.

I am not sure how easy it would be to setup everything again

I ran ddwrt and found a couple of issues I didn't like. I went with the Tomato VicTek version. Love it. Beautiful web interface on it, and QOS works great too.

Been running the modded firmware since Sveasoft was one of the first to do it back in the day!

Well I have run into a problem. Once I try to upload the .bin file for the firmware upgrade it comes up with a message saying "Upload are Failed!" I am using the micro generic version of DD_WRT v.24 SP1 in the Linksys WRT54G_v5 directory. The router is a Linksys WRT54G v5 with firmware version 1.00. I have tried all of the files in the directory and none of them will work.

Edit: I tried using Firefox instead of IE and it still doesn't upload

Any ideas on how to get it to work?

Well I have run into a problem. Once I try to upload the .bin file for the firmware upgrade it comes up with a message saying "Upload are Failed!" I am using the micro generic version of DD_WRT v.24 SP1 in the Linksys WRT54G_v5 directory. The router is a Linksys WRT54G v5 with firmware version 1.00. I have tried all of the files in the directory and none of them will work.

Edit: I tried using Firefox instead of IE and it still doesn't upload

Any ideas on how to get it to work?

I remember right you have to load another file on the V5 first since that router wasn't linux based. Read the FAQ on DD-WRT for the V5.

Have you seen the instructions here?

Bitsum Technologies Wiki - WRT54G5 CFE

I've flashed a Buffalo router to DD-WRT using TFTP (the only way I could do it) and found it rather simple after I read through the directions thoroughly and followed them to the letter. Having said that, I find all the information out there confusing. I had to follow multiple links to get to the procedure and sometimes found conflicting information on the journey.

Some routers are simpler to flash than others.

I don't know if this will be helpful or not. The procedure has so many steps that I don't know how else to help out without actually being there.

After 3 hours I was finally able to get DD-WRT on the router and set it up as a bridge. Right now I have it hooked up to my blu-ray player and it is working great. Thanks to all that helped. :)

After 3 hours I was finally able to get DD-WRT on the router and set it up as a bridge. Right now I have it hooked up to my blu-ray player and it is working great. Thanks to all that helped. :)
It's usually worth the effort to get DD-WRT installed. It really unlocks all the features of these routers.:D You have to wonder why the manufacturers won't let the consumer use the features that they built into their routers.:confused:

It's usually worth the effort to get DD-WRT installed. It really unlocks all the features of these routers.:D You have to wonder why the manufacturers won't let the consumer use the features that they built into their routers.:confused:

Would you really want to man that tech support line if the stuff dd-wrt enables were enabled by Linksys :eek: WAY too many choices for the average user IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)