Linux or computer Setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rdel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 26, 2005
If anyone is interested in playing around with a computer or linux fta setup there is a sale on boards at surplus computers

Error

Error

with cpu

Error

Error

Error
sorry if I posted it in the wrong area
rdel

sometimes it's the hidden costs . . .

Often you can pick up a complete computer at a yard sale, newspaper advert, along the curb where someone has put it out for trash, or one of the charity stores.

Few years ago, I got a nice little micro tower from my lawyer. It failed and he got a new one.
Upon opening it, I blew out all the dust, reformatted and reloaded the HD, and it was fully operational again.
Think that was a little Celeron 466mhz.
I recently gave it to a buddy who shipped it to his Dad.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but let's critique these boards from the first post...in order...
1) $1.99, takes a P2 or Celeron at 266 or 300mhz, 256mb max. circa 1998
2) $5.99, pretty much same as above, slightly nicer chipset
3) $25, much nicer board, 1.1ghz P3 socket 370, 1gb max ram, video nothing special.
All above boards would need cases, peripherals , old ram, old CPU chips with old coolers.

4) $36, socket 370 with Celeron 700mhz, needs RAM, video nothing special, not bad
5) $45, with a P3 800mhz, otherwise similar to above.

In the last year, Fry's has had some blow-out deals on motherboard with chip for $60 - 90 that'd blow all these away.
Personally, I try to never spend money on anything slower than my fastest computer. :cool:
Of course, everybody has their own opinion.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)