LIP sync and other sound problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Briant73

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Pennsylvania
Have a DVR 722 and on HD channels (and maybe sometimes SD) I noticed either lip sync issues or odd sound problems. This is both on my receiver running the optical out and my TV (sharp lc46d64u) with hdmi.

1) Anytime watching TBS HD especially Raymond (lots of talking) the lips and words don't match up.
2) On some of the HD music channels (rave) I hear a pop every few minutes.

I have had the installers check for this and they replaced the switch but no luck with the audio issues. It's now down to either the signal, receiver, or coax cabling.

Has anyone else experienced these issues and if so what was the culprit? I just can't believe it's the coax cabling since it's not even 2 years old and shouldn't I see image problems also? I hate to send the receiver in if it's a signal/source problem.

Agreed

I've had lip sinc issues for awhile now, and I'm surprised I haven't seen more posts about it. I just assumed it was a software problem, because I haven't changed my setup at all.

ABC HD in Seattle is AWFUL too. Every show on that channel is off, and often by a huge margin.

This really bugs me, they need to get it fixed.

NBC HD in Dallas has TUNZ of problems. Audio crackles, picture drop out, pixelation. But I get audio sync problems on several recorded events. It's extremely annoying. If it didn't look so damn good when it works right, I would regret ever upgrading to the 722!

This is not just a 722 problem. Folks with 622s complain as well. In fact, folks with D* HR20/21 and TWC SA8300HDC with Navigator also complain, so it isn't even just a E* problem. You'd think they would've figured this out by now, but apparently there is something inherently difficult about it. That said, my 722 hasn't had many problems with audio-sync lately. (knocks on wood)

Ted

I have witnessed lip sync problems on my 211 as well. Doesn't necessarily seem to be a 622/722 problem.

I e-mailed dishquality a few days ago - no response yet.

I've seen these lip sync issues and while shopping around for a new AV receiver I happed to come across one... I think it was the Yamaha RX-V659... where a reviewer mentioned being able to set a delay. And specifically mentioned that setting this delay took care of the audio sync problems that plagued his satellite system.

MY problem with this is that the delay doesn't seem to be all the time. Some shows are fine. I've noticed it MOST when watching hockey games on MSG ALT channels (like 447 or there abouts). I don't believe they mentioned whether or not you can turn the delay on and off on the fly. But it was settable on a per-input basis which is kinda cool. Now if it were per-input AND per-sound field.... maybe it is... I just don't know... then changing sound fields when you have a lip sync problem would seem to be one way of remedying the problem.

thoughts?

I have a 622 and it does this also. It has been doing this since I have received it. I asked Dish about it and they just said it was a known issue and if I change the channel and then go back to what I was watching it should fix it. RIGHT... NOT, when it happens all the fricken time.... Time for them to address this issue, its gone on long enough.:mad:

Thanks for all the responses. I always get leery when Dish say's it's the cabling (funny it's all rg6 belden in fact) or the receiver. I have gone through too many replaced receivers from my 508/625 days that turned out to be software issues or the actual signal source. I called Dish on it and they reported no problems but with one local in Alaska (I thinkl) it seems that more than a few of us are having them. They wanted to swap the receiver but I'm not sure that will do anything for me.

My wife constantly complains about sync issues. While sometimes it fixes itself many times it is something we just live with.

What dish REALLY needs to do is add an option where we can manually adjust the sync ourselves. Since the sync varies from show to show it probably should be a temporary setting that lasts just for the current program. The delay increments need to be small enough so we can get the sync perfect.

I've experienced the problems lately as well. I have a 622 and a 722. I have noticed it more so on the 722.

TBS has been awful. Thankfully, I do not watch that channel very often. However, it is affecting other channels I watch more often. It seems to be hit or miss on different days.

It is really bad right now on the MPEG4 channels, 9425, 9426, 9427, 9435, 9461, 9462, and 9469. Each channel toi its own degree, some being worse than others.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts