LIP sync and other sound problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I've seen these lip sync issues and while shopping around for a new AV receiver I happed to come across one... I think it was the Yamaha RX-V659... where a reviewer mentioned being able to set a delay. And specifically mentioned that setting this delay took care of the audio sync problems that plagued his satellite system.

MY problem with this is that the delay doesn't seem to be all the time. Some shows are fine. I've noticed it MOST when watching hockey games on MSG ALT channels (like 447 or there abouts). I don't believe they mentioned whether or not you can turn the delay on and off on the fly. But it was settable on a per-input basis which is kinda cool. Now if it were per-input AND per-sound field.... maybe it is... I just don't know... then changing sound fields when you have a lip sync problem would seem to be one way of remedying the problem.

thoughts?

I happen to have the Yamaha 659, I will play with that and see if that fixes the problem.

The issues are nothing new around here. If you search these forums for "lipsync" you'll probably find posts dating back to the 1800's. Didn't you know? "DISH" stands for "Dialog In Sync, ... Hopefully"

Hmmmm...

just so you guys don't feel left out. I switched to Directv Nov. 24th, basically because of that hunk-of-junk 129 sat, but I have noticed issues with lip-sync too. CNNHD, The Weather Channel, and others. Drives me nuts!

I did note that CNN was ok, it was the HD version that exhibited the lip-sync issue. I assume that it is mpeg4, but don't know for sure.

I have had issues for a while as well and not too long ago sent an e-mail to Dish and got the following response. I have not replied to them yet but will do so ASAP.

---------------------------------

Dear TH,

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

Indeed, we are aware of intermittent lip sync issues across many HD channels. Unfortunately, the issue is quite sporadic (perhaps program-specific) and we could really use your help in providing additional information as we continue to research and troubleshoot the problem. If you have a few moments, would you please answer the following questions for us?

Is your 622 receiver currently running software version L447? You can check this via your remote control by pressing the 'Menu' button two times.

What channels and programs have you experienced this issue?

How frequently does the problem occur?

Does the programming remain consistently out of sync or progressively become further out of sync as you continue watching?

If you subscribe to local HD stations, do you see any lip sync issues with one or more of those stations? If so, please identify which one(s).

If you have an Over-the-Air (OTA) antenna, do you see a lip sync issue with the above local stations via OTA?

Do you see this during commercials and/or any SD-upconverted programs?

If you press and hold the front panel button to reset the unit, does this temporarily correct the issue?

What type of audio connections are you using from the receiver to the TV/Stereo system?

At DISH Network we appreciate the time customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being a valued customer!

Regards,
EchoStar Satellite LLC
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com

A few weeks back I sent an e-mail to Dish Quality Assurance relating to the audio sync problem and suggesting they amend the software to provide for user generated sync.

In a courteous response, Dish said their engineers didn't like the idea of having customers set the delay to achieve sync, since Dish staff would probably get more complaints than they are now. They asked me to try channel changes, and then resetting the 722 if that didn't work, and let them know the results. I did, with negative results which I told them of.

Dish then responded that their engineers are aware of the HD sync issues and are trying to achieve a solution. No timetable could be provided.

This clearly seems to be a programming delay issue related to picture and sound processing, which is slightly different depending on the type of programming based on its complexity. Nothing we can do, they will try to solve it at the broadcast (not receiver) level.

Regards,
Fitzie

ABC HD in Seattle is AWFUL too. Every show on that channel is off, and often by a huge margin.

This really bugs me, they need to get it fixed.

Noticed this on last weks; Botston Legal ont he WSB ABC HD feed off Dish as well. Getting annoying all these audio issues, they have been coming and going for months now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)