List channels with lower than good pq (overcompressed)

andyg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Many people say that their picture quality with dish nwk is crystal clear. Is it true for ALL the channels you subscribed, or there are some with only half decent quality/overcompressed maybe?

here are the channels that I am less than happy with:

Fox Soccer
Tennis
FSN Ohio
GOL TV
..... keep counting

what are the channels with pq you are not satisfied with?

what are the channels with pq you are not satisfied with?

Take a look at this web page. The transponders with the least amount of channels are going to have the best Picture quality and the Transponders with the most channels you will find are the worst looking. It's fact and there is nothing wrong with your TV and sports tend to compound the problem because of all the motion.

DISH Network on EchoStar 8/10 at 110.0°W - LyngSat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMC 11 at 131.0°W - LyngSat

And now take a look at how the content programmers send there channels out to be downlinked by DISH and others. Notice not as many channels are crammed on one transponder therefore better picture is resulted. Also keep in mind the higher the SR of a transponder and the higher FEC results in higher capicity (more bandwitdh). By the way, See the MTV channels on transponder 15. To many of them for a good picture. And it showed right on my 50 inch plasma in terms of noise. Making it look like crap. But thats how it is. The satellites are freaking expensive and the programmers and providers want to maximize that valuable real estate up in space. Some just do it more than others.:cool:

Take a look at this web page. The transponders with the least amount of channels are going to have the best Picture quality and the Transponders with the most channels you will find are the worst looking. It's fact and there is nothing wrong with your TV and sports tend to compound the problem because of all the motion.

DISH Network on EchoStar 8/10 at 110.0°W - LyngSat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMC 11 at 131.0°W - LyngSat

And now take a look at how the content programmers send there channels out to be downlinked by DISH and others. Notice not as many channels are crammed on one transponder therefore better picture is resulted. Also keep in mind the higher the SR of a transponder and the higher FEC results in higher capicity (more bandwitdh). By the way, See the MTV channels on transponder 15. To many of them for a good picture. And it showed right on my 50 inch plasma in terms of noise. Making it look like crap. But thats how it is. The satellites are freaking expensive and the programmers and providers want to maximize that valuable real estate up in space. Some just do it more than others.:cool:

thanks for all the links. I understand the problem and real estate vs quality issue. I just from my perspective would be inclined to provide better quality than quantity. but that;s just me. However, I think they should have like a committe or something where they review channels and determine certain channels to have unacceptable level of compression that should either not be offered or what not.

My advice to you is get a HDTV and upgrade to DISHHD or maybe switch to DirectTVHD and then the Picture will look great and hopefully even better in the future when new sats are lauched providing additional bandwitdh.

My advice to you is get a HDTV and upgrade to DISHHD or maybe switch to DirectTVHD and then the Picture will look great and hopefully even better in the future when new sats are lauched providing additional bandwitdh.
thanks for the advice.,.,..right now I can;t do it but soon I will

Many people say that their picture quality with dish nwk is crystal clear. Is it true for ALL the channels you subscribed, or there are some with only half decent quality/overcompressed maybe?

here are the channels that I am less than happy with:

Fox Soccer

This is a good example of the problem that people do not know the difference between a channel with bad PQ, and a program with bad PQ.

Many of the matches on Fox Soccer come from European PAL systems and then are converted poorly, sent by overcompressed trans-atlantic satellite systems, recorded using compression, etc.

Then compare with these on Fox Soccer:

- Commercials for "Wall Bangers" which are crystal clear
- Millie Clode on Sky Sports News ('nuff said :cool: )
- Fox Football Fone-In which is shot 10 feet from the transmitter

all of which look fine.

This reminds me of computer problems, where people report the exact same problem as:

- Windows problem
- Browser problem
- Motherboard problem
- Graphics Card problem
- Application software problem
- ISP problem

because they don't know and they pick something to blame.

This is a good example of the problem that people do not know the difference between a channel with bad PQ, and a program with bad PQ.

Many of the matches on Fox Soccer come from European PAL systems and then are converted poorly, sent by overcompressed trans-atlantic satellite systems, recorded using compression, etc.

Then compare with these on Fox Soccer:

- Commercials for "Wall Bangers" which are crystal clear
- Millie Clode on Sky Sports News ('nuff said :cool: )
- Fox Football Fone-In which is shot 10 feet from the transmitter

all of which look fine.

This reminds me of computer problems, where people report the exact same problem as:

- Windows problem
- Browser problem
- Motherboard problem
- Graphics Card problem
- Application software problem
- ISP problem

because they don't know and they pick something to blame.

thanks for educating me. I did not know how satellite works until now despite being in IT FIELD for years and hearing all the same problems about windows problems from the users.

Now, alright...how about FSN Ohio where hockey games are almost as bad as soccer channel games? As I mentioned it was fine on cable..so it is not the program issue. It is with the way it is being compressed by dish or whoever..right?
I can give you other examples too of some other channels where prerecorded movie shows look like crap. who knows what is the deal there..doubt they come from europe.

blaming somebody? hell yeah if the company claims to have good pq, then they better strand behind the quality. If the quality lacks for WHATEVER reason whether it is coming from overseas or they can't deliver it without overcompressing, then maybe they should not put that channel on the air and loading sats with garbage impossible to watch. There should be a commitment to quality first and quantity next. I can watch the videos of the same quality over the internet.

blaming somebody? hell yeah if the company claims to have good pq, then they better strand behind the quality. If the quality lacks for WHATEVER reason whether it is coming from overseas or they can't deliver it without overcompressing, then maybe they should not put that channel on the air and loading sats with garbage impossible to watch. There should be a commitment to quality first and quantity next. I can watch the videos of the same quality over the internet.

Dude,

In other posts you say you never even had the tennis channel before. How do you know Dish is messing it up? That channel may just suck because of some of the issues that others have tried to explain.

Your FSN could be one case where Dish may not have as good a picture do to how it has to be transmitted. Your local cable company may have had a better feed from the FSN than what Dish is getting from them.

If things are so bad for you cancel. I am sure your cable company offers a buy back program, most of them do.

Little history lesson:

PQ on Dish SD used to be very good. What killed it? LIL. Is it going to get better in the near future? NO, the only way to improve PQ is to cut the number of channels (never going to happen) or replace all the millions of MPEG2 boxes with MPEG4 (not for several years if ever).

If SD PQ is important to you and you have a better alternative, then go for it, otherwise get used to it, because it's not going to change.

NightRyder

Yep the local cable doesn't have to provide 500 or however many local stations from the entire country, in addition to their regular programming, like Dish and Directv have to.

i see...well I guess so then. E* should have put another sat in the sky though that would ONLY carry the local channels. I am sure they have money for that

then E* should put new sat in the sky that would ONLY carry all the local channels. They should have money for that

sorry for duplicate

thanks for educating me. I did not know how satellite works until now despite being in IT FIELD for years and hearing all the same problems about windows problems from the users.

Now, alright...how about FSN Ohio where hockey games are almost as bad as soccer channel games? As I mentioned it was fine on cable..so it is not the program issue. It is with the way it is being compressed by dish or whoever..right?
I can give you other examples too of some other channels where prerecorded movie shows look like crap. who knows what is the deal there..doubt they come from europe.

What part of the country are you in? I'm in Columbus and my Jacket games are fine. Better than my brothers Directv, and just as good as my neighbors Time Warner.

What part of the country are you in? I'm in Columbus and my Jacket games are fine. Better than my brothers Directv, and just as good as my neighbors Time Warner.

I am near cincinnati. Don't know why it happens but I have less than good pq for jackets games.

i see...well I guess so then. E* should have put another sat in the sky though that would ONLY carry the local channels. I am sure they have money for that

It's not that simple. Another satellite doesn't do any good if you don't have a proper location to park it and transponder licenses to go with it. Most people don't want multiple dishes on their house and there is only so much you can do with one dish. Dish is not alone, DirecTv has the same problem with SD channels for the same reasons.

NightRyder

It's not that simple. Another satellite doesn't do any good if you don't have a proper location to park it and transponder licenses to go with it. Most people don't want multiple dishes on their house and there is only so much you can do with one dish. Dish is not alone, DirecTv has the same problem with SD channels for the same reasons.

NightRyder

oh yeah you are right../I bet directv has the same issue. I see what you are saying. Makes sense

My question is, and I think I know the answer. Has Dish put any sd in mpeg4?? Beside the engineers seeing it. I wonder how much better pic we would have. I know Charlie wants to convert the whole system one day to mpeg4, I wish we as customers could get a glimpse of sd mpeg4.

My question is, and I think I know the answer. Has Dish put any sd in mpeg4?? Beside the engineers seeing it. I wonder how much better pic we would have. I know Charlie wants to convert the whole system one day to mpeg4, I wish we as customers could get a glimpse of sd mpeg4.

No subscriber accessible SD in MPEG4 yet, but if/when they make the conversion the improvement in PQ should be substantial provided they keep the number of channels per transponder the same.

NightRyder

A committee on picture quality?! Good lord, you work for the government?? You do realize that your TV's black levels, color and other settings can worsen a picture that looks OK to everyone else??

A committee on picture quality?! Good lord, you work for the government?? You do realize that your TV's black levels, color and other settings can worsen a picture that looks OK to everyone else??

ok smart ass..if you read the post carefully and search the internet you wil see that quite a few people are having problems with pq....people on here are not that dumb not to know to adjust TV controls if that would fix the problem..don't like the thread..move on to another one..it seems like people here do not like any posts that are not that favorable to dish network