List of North American FTA PVR?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

moonman88

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Is there such a list? I'm looking to purchase my first receiver. I found a list for PVR comparison in the UK: http://www.emsee.co.uk/pvr/ . It seems like North America is way behind in PVR :(
I've been scouring these forums and found:
PanSat 6000
GeoSatpro DVR1000ci
Any others? I don't mind buying from the UK, but very few will ship international.

Moonman you are about 3 days behind me.... (or ahead of me;-)

I'm currently working on an excel spreadsheet with all the major receivers in it and all their important features. Below the regular receivers I have the PVRs. - Such that they are.

Isn't the Dreambox a PVR?

My list is not done yet but I think it will be light in the PVR dept.

BTW I asked almost this same question a few weeks ago and got no new leads. I think the NA FTA PVR boom is coming - just a year away or so.

moonman88 said:
Is there such a list? I'm looking to purchase my first receiver. I found a list for PVR comparison in the UK: http://www.emsee.co.uk/pvr/ . It seems like North America is way behind in PVR :(
MM, I think you feel for the same trap I did. I'm pretty sure those are Terrestrial PVRs, not satellite. (although some may do both or have different flavors that do satellite)

Katrinasucks said:
MM, I think you feel for the same trap I did. I'm pretty sure those are Terrestrial PVRs, not satellite. (although some may do both or have different flavors that do satellite)

Which did you end up getting? I'm deciding between PanSat 5000 and GeoSatPro now.

I'm EXACTLY where you are. I can't see paying 500 bucks for the Pansat which has some well documented flaws... but the GeoSat has no blind scan.

(It's sorta funny, I've posted the exact same posts as you just like 2 weeks ago.)

I punted and ordered a Fortec Classic NA and figured I'd learn a bit and by the time I really *needed* a PVR, there would be more choices on the market.

Hmm this reminds me anyone here about slingbox? It's kinda interesting. Basically it takes most media formats (cd, vcr, dvd, pvr, satellite, cable maybe even OTA) and hooks it up to a broadband connection...from a home pc you set up an account and can access it from ANYWHERE that you have a connection (laptop, pc or pda (all are windows)

This would be interesting to maybe see fta on the go. Like being in a starbucks checking on a pda say IA5.

I recently picked up a Manhattan Plaza ST550 PVR ready box. All I need to do is add the HDD. They are cheap and will drop one in one of these days. I bought it from the Satellite Super Store across the pond and it was about 350.00 and that price included the shipping which took less that a week during the xmas season. The price I think is very comparable with the Pansat and also includes a 36 VDC controller for a BUD actuactor which doesn't work half bad.

http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/usdigital.htm

Last edited:
Europe is SO far ahead of us its pathetic. Pick up an issue of TeleSat magazine at Barnes and Noble, thumb through it, and you'll see some incredible gear. Too many people here falling for the rip-off pizza companies...

I have a pansat 5000. I am a little disappointed in it. The timer doesn't work all that great. It doesn't alway stop. So, we don't use the timer all that much. I guess that I was a little spoiled after the Dish Network pvr.

Does the timer rely on the units clock? If so, the earlier Pansats (before the 3500 and the 6000) didn't use a real-time clock. That clock on my 2700 loses about an hour a day! :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts