LISTEN UP! Contacting CSR Tier, with regards to anything CE related.

ebonovic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2004
As you know... I don't come over here often... but I am going to have to a little more so. This message is not directed at anyone particular here at Satelliteguys.... so please, don't think I am here blasting you.

I posted this same thread (pretty much) over at DBSTalk...
And have posted a few others just like it.
DBSTalk.Com

I am in fact, pretty much responsible for the entire "public" aspect of the CE Program... So yes, I will play a partially more active role, but more so as a manager type role.... I can't guarantee that I will be able to answer questions as fast, or as quickly as I do at DBSTalk... And I may refer you to posts there as well, as I can type fast... but often things are answered by others..

Anyway: Here is my statement regarding CE process and the CSR Tier

------------
Any part of the CE process... if "off limits" to CSR communication, this includes EMAIL to DirecTV via the website.
You are ABSOLUTELY not to contact the CSR tier for anything that is part of the CE process.

That includes, but not limited to:
  • Getting a CE version of software
  • Getting a CE piece of hardware (SWM, H21), another unit "because" you are helping
  • Getting the DoD backend piece activated
  • Getting access to remote booking

I have told many of you that have PMed me... DirecTV will be activating the back end part of the DoD... but they are pretty swamped right now, and they currently have over 2,000 people active on DoD.... so yes, sorry... but the fact remains... that it will take some time to get the "rest" of you up on the DoD service.

We told you that the CE process is NOT about getting the next "new" thing... but to be part of the process... and frankly... yes, having DoD active on the box... but not the back side working... is a test they are looking at, to see if it causes issues with the system.

So... I don't know how much "stronger" I can make this.
You are not, under any circumstances to contact the CSR tier for anything related to CE's.

If you think I am kidding... there are some things we can do.. for those that are continuing to violate this rule.

If the violations of this rule continues...
We will be forced to take the CE process private, and invitation only....
And I swear to you... this is by far the absolutely LAST thing I want to do...
As it would not only mean a hell of a lot more work for me, but would eliminate one of the greatest benefit of the process... that anyone can join the process...

I am not exagerating... this is a BIG deal... and pretty much the #1 rule of the CE process.

Vote above accordingly...

I just cant believe people are so stupid that they would participate in the CE and then call D*. Morons.

Maybe CE membership should be a little more strict in some kind of matter. You probably have knuckleheads that can see what is getting activated in the CE's but are not participating in the download. They are just calling in to see when it'll be public.

I have not participated since I got my HR20 back, but I always did last year when the HR20 was new. I plan on getting back involved when I quit traveling and don't want any goof balls messing with us getting to be involved.

If there is a way to identify who the offenders are, can they be banned from the CE forum? This way they don't ruin this for everyone else who is playing by the rules.

Or just not download these CE's anymore,Let all the testers who come up with these CE,s do it. Frankly I wouldn't download another one again. I threw one H20 in the garbage already.IMO if the CE's were flawless, They would be a national release from Directv.Whats expected from people really?If D* wanted you to have CE software ,we would all have it already.I did the right thing and went out and bought a new H20 after the CE toasted mine,but you really can't expect everyone to do this. Make it private and you guys can foot the bill.

Its a bad idea using existing subs as Beta testers. You dont have much control over them.

Or just not download these CE's anymore,Let all the testers who come up with these CE,s do it. Frankly I wouldn't download another one again. I threw one H20 in the garbage already.IMO if the CE's were flawless, They would be a national release from Directv.Whats expected from people really?If D* wanted you to have CE software ,we would all have it already.I did the right thing and went out and bought a new H20 after the CE toasted mine,but you really can't expect everyone to do this. Make it private and you guys can foot the bill.

Nobody forced these people to download the CE updates, it was their choice, they should all know the rules, they are all over the place.

It is very far and few between that anything bad happens with a CE.

When you get into the CE program you should understand that it is TESTING software and it IS possible to screw up a box, though the messed up numbers are very few....

Jimbo

Last edited:
Nobody forced these people to download the CE updates, it was their choice, they should all know the rules, they are all over the place.

It is very far and few between that anything bad happens with a CE.

When you get into the CE program you should understand that it is TESTING software and it IS possible to screw up a box, though the messed up numbers are very few....

Jimbo
Its a bad idea using subs as beta testers.

Its a bad idea using subs as beta testers.

Then those subs should not be testing, I personally enjoy it :up
Are you testing with your new set up ?

Only a very small percentage of the public have any idea what D* has been doing and even fewer have any idea about beta testing.

jimbo

I was going to write an article about the CE program in the Multichannel News but because of hereasons outlined by Earl I decided agaiinst it.

Somethings are better left unsaid. :D

Vurbano is using the wrong terminology. Subs are not being USED as beta testers, they are being ALLOWED to act as beta testers. Part of that deal is not calling D* and giving feedback on functionality. I think its a good idea and always enjoyed it. If I got a buggy version, thats what the red reset button is for.

Vurbano is using the wrong terminology. Subs are not being USED as beta testers, they are being ALLOWED to act as beta testers. Part of that deal is not calling D* and giving feedback on functionality. I think its a good idea and always enjoyed it. If I got a buggy version, thats what the red reset button is for.
I suppose I should change the sentence. Existing subs should not be allowed to act as beta testers. It will only lead to problems and thats what Earl is experiencing. Frankly, D* should employ enough of its own people to test this box rather than recruit for free mass testing. When you do that you will have problems.

I suppose I should change the sentence. Existing subs should not be allowed to act as beta testers. It will only lead to problems and thats what Earl is experiencing. Frankly, D* should employ enough of its own people to test this box rather than recruit for free mass testing. When you do that you will have problems.
I agree with this exactly.

. If I got a buggy version, thats what the red reset button is for.
You must not have gotton one that the red button wouldn't fix then. When you do one of these CE's,and you receiver no longer lets you force a download,tell me what do you do then? Trust me,, if stated that your receiver my not ever work again after a CE download, would I'm sure prevent people from doing it,which in turn would also prevent a call to D* Customer service. Make it private,And you guys who want to be involved in helping D* at perfecting their software for free ,with risks of it costing you extra money ,that D* is never going to reimburse you nor is anyone else. Then make sure you state that in the risks and guide lines.And I would almost bet the CE program would fall apart. Earl and whom ever else thats involved with presenting these CE Updates needs to me more professional and get themselves a ton of Directv receivers and test them in there own house. Because if they are doing it for free,then they need to get their head checked. But I'm sure their not.Makes people wonder if this is even legal, Makes me wonder is this D* making this software? or what . It seems D* knows nothing of this .

I enjoy beta testing, and the risks involved.

Main reason I am not doing it now is Ive been gone for a month, no way would I leave my wife with a CE release :eek:

Vurbano is using the wrong terminology. Subs are not being USED as beta testers, they are being ALLOWED to act as beta testers. .
That is the right terminology Subs are being used with the intent that this is a privilege thats allowing you to be involved. Which to people looks appealing. This is clearly the intent and they know it. Oldest trick in the book that still works. It makes people overlook the risks. Like I said once and I'll say it again,Make it Private. Give who wants to be invloved a password to a seperate thread, sign a contract Knowing Fully the risks that comes with this,and if they Call D* they are banned from the CE releases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)