Live Feb 17th Retailer Chat Report

Scott Greczkowski said:
Leslie Harper just said that on the 942 only TV One can watch LIVE OTA broadcasts, TV2 can NOT watch LIVE OTA TV!

Thats huge!! (Can someone confirm this?)

Dude that was clearly stated in the spec sheet you posted, it's not new news, so dunno how that slipped passed you. The only 1 OTA tuner is a big waste for me, I can understand for people that have an OTA tuner on their TV, but not me, so I wouldn't get a lot of use out of the 942.

And also the 942 appears to only be available to brand new customers and not exisiting customers, much like the 522 was when it was introduced.

If I can't lease a 942 as an existing customer who has paid thousands of dollars to Dish as a very loyal customer of Dish Network, I will cancel Dish. Period.

Not trying to threaten or anythying else, just stating fact. I find the notion of sh*tting on your loyal customers absurd and don't want to give another dime to a company that would even think this was okay to do to their customers.

We'll see I guess.

As a sidenote, please explain to my why anyone in their right mind would spend $750 for a dead end box. Unbelievable.

rad said:
So why do you think the 942 will be more stable then the 921 currently is. E*'s track record is that you need to give it at least 12 months to even get close to a stable STB.

Any new STB has to be more stable than a 921. At least the 942 was programmed by people who can receive an ATSC signal.

StevenD said:
Any new STB has to be more stable than a 921. At least the 942 was programmed by people who can receive an ATSC signal.

Color me skeptical. I see the 942 as a 522 + 811. Given the track record of both receivers that doesn't necessarily inspire confidence. IMHO

NightRyder

Well does the 942 have the capibility to support mpeg4?

Well dish be increasing the HD content?

The best decision I made was to downgrade my Dish service, sell my 921, and take advantage of the Voom free installation and hardware offer a month and a half ago

Yeah, I am almost about to do that myself. i am putting it off for another month, at least until V* announces their DVR deal (supposedly next month, but I'm not holding my breath if you know what i mean...).

Scott, can you tell me where you posted the Dishin' it up rules? I looked for them but couldn't find them. I asked a csr rep from E* if they were posted on their website for the customer to see and she told me "no"...

Ah, there's the rub... I never went to a retailer to get my original deal 2.5 years ago. It was through Dish directly. The agreement you have is for retailers only. When I upgraded to the 811 last year Dish never sent me anything to sign, just the receiver for self-installation...

StevenD said:
A lot of people are complaining about the 942, but for people like my dad (very NON-technical) the 942 is a perfect fit for him.

He wants to be able to record HD and I told him not to buy a 921 because if its unstability. With the 942, he will be able to record HD (and another channel at the same time) and get rid of three receivers (811 and 510 in the living room and a 3900 in the bedroom). That cuts his "extra receiver" fees by $10/month.

So, even at $250 + $5/month (which INCLUDES the "extra receiver" fee), I think he's coming out pretty good. He has AEP, so he wont be paying VOD fees.
Just to blow your mind my 522 failed to record the chat today. It's been out about a year and a half and it still has glitches how is the 942 fresh out of the drawing board going to be better? :D :D :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
Billings
Casper
Twins Falls
Bismarck

Launching before the end of April.

Albiline / Sweetwater Texas will launch on Feb 24th from the 148 Satellite.
Just to add to this post:

Locals:

Albiline / Sweetwater Texas - available Feb 24/2005 (148 satellite) ----> THIS WILL BE 154th local market for DISHnetwork

Stations Affiliate Channel
KTXS ABC 12
KTAB CBS 32
KRBC NBC 9
KXVA FOX 15
KTES TMNDO 40

$5.99 / month

Upcoming local markets:

Billings, MT
Casper, WY
Twin Falls, ID
Minot/Bismarck, North Dakota
Erie, Pennsylvania
Great Falls, Montana
Rapid City, South Dakota

And those will launch in next Couple of months - March and April (..that's their plan anyhow)

Team Summit 2005 - Opryland Hotel - Nashville, TN (April 28 - May 1, 2005)
------

Next Customer Tech Forum - Monday, February 21, 2005 - 9 PM ET, ch 101
Next Dish Latino Retailer Chat - Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 12 Noon ET
Next Retailer Chat - Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 12 Noon ET

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts