LIVE FUTBOL: Barcelona vs. Atletico Madrid: Sunday, 2/6 @ 3 PM EST

Ilya said:
A soccer referee? At which level? MLS?

I did 10 years in the APSL-the league closed and then MLS started in 1995-correction 1996. I have refereed for 26 years. I retired from the national level in 1996-the start of MLS. I still do college and high school of which here in Florida the high school season is in the winter and we are in full swing with state playoffs.

So, what's your impression, timfouts, does soccer have a chance in this country?
Is it gaining or losing popularity?

0:1 after the first half.

Ilya said:
So, what's your impression, timfouts, does soccer have a chance in this country?
Is it gaining or losing popularity?

Soccer has always had a chance in this country and its popularity grows every year. Maybe not at the MLS level until kids see that they can make as much money playing soccer as they can in the major 3. This is not a racist statement, but when/if the African American kids fully embrace soccer, this country will be unstoppable.

Well it's halftime Barca needs to pick it up.

I really hope so! It's frustrating to see such a great sport being neglected by many.

Don't get too down, kids here are playing in record numbers. It may take a while to displace the popular pro sports but you might find solace in this graphic:

getting_in_the_game.gif

Ilya said:
I really hope so! It's frustrating to see such a great sport being neglected by many.

We are doing just fine. More kids play soccer in Florida than youth football. Because of our weather, we are 365 24/7. Girls soccer registrations are breaking records each year. Fox Sports World(tomorrow it becomes Fox Soccer Channel BTW) and Goltv ratings are increasing

The national coverage is not very good here in the states. We have coverage from Little League to professional in Baseball; high school to professional basketball; college to professional Football; yet Soccer TV coverage is only relegated to the MLS level and it is only done by HDnet. Not by the Networks. I think I may have seen one or two games on ABC. I do not know whether it was playoff or regular game. Also, whenever I have turned to a MLS game on HDnet, the stadium are very empty. The TV coverage on ESPN is minimum and there's zero coverage on TV networks. This is even at highlight level.

Great to hear that the next 3-4 games are on schedule, including the UEFA CUP!
That's what Paul and Sid just mentioned.

That's a questionable call!

Sean Mota said:
Soccer TV coverage is only relegated to the MLS level and it is only done by HDnet. Not by the Networks. I think I may have seen one or two games on ABC. . The TV coverage on ESPN is minimum and there's zero coverage on TV networks. This is even at highlight level.

Disney who owns ESPN/ABC has agreements with MLS for game of week and they chose which channel. Disney provides MLS with training facilities at Wide World of Sports in early spring and the referees have had sessions there also. Its all business decisions and it must be looked at from the business side and not fan's point of view. Sort of like what CVC is doing to us Voomers

Wow! That was close!

And this could've been an easy goal for him!

Mejuto gets it right --look at the hole on the back of the sock--BUT outside the area and Ronaldinho misses. Correct decision, wrong spot, a miss--Atletico vindicated-justice done. Let's get on with it. This is any referees nightmare. All the play acting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)