LNB and Receiver in two locations

D

Drlee

Sep 19, 2022
US - PA and Rhode Island
Hi,
I have a Shaw 75e dish with the two satellite LNB. I have a home in PA and we just bought a home in Rhode Island. We will go back and forth between the two locations - spending at least a few months in one location. I have a second 75e dish but no separate LNB for it. If I set up the second dish in RI can I remove the LNB and 630 receiver and once I have the dish pointed correctly use this setup in the second location? Then in the spring take the setup back to PA and restore service there?
Thanks!

Josephinelcajon

Josephinelcajon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 31, 2016
San Diego CA
There are several problems with doing this. First you need to understand some are actually sharing an account. In order to prevent this Dish uses several ways to detect the unauthorized use. I would highly recommend you opening a vacation account and going through the proper channels. Dish will set you up with dish and equipment and you can turn it on and off as needed. I feel it would be wrong of me to offer ideas on how to circumvent the system.

P.S. Your locals are on a narrow spot beam, and you are possibly not able to receive them.

S

stecle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 17, 2010
Between the North and South Pole
Hi,
I have a Shaw 75e dish with the two satellite LNB. I have a home in PA and we just bought a home in Rhode Island. We will go back and forth between the two locations - spending at least a few months in one location. I have a second 75e dish but no separate LNB for it. If I set up the second dish in RI can I remove the LNB and 630 receiver and once I have the dish pointed correctly use this setup in the second location? Then in the spring take the setup back to PA and restore service there?
Thanks!
Yes it will work fine. I would research how far the Satellite footprints reach before doing anything.

Josephinelcajon

Josephinelcajon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 31, 2016
San Diego CA
Thanks for your reply. However, I am using Shaw - not Dish. Does this change your response?
I do not know that company well enough. One additional suggestion is moving a DVR is not a good idea. Eventually it will cause the hard drive to fail prematurely.

raoul5788

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
I do not know that company well enough. One additional suggestion is moving a DVR is not a good idea. Eventually it will cause the hard drive to fail prematurely.
Huh? It's not like he's playing football with it.

Reactions: QCK
NYDutch

NYDutch

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 28, 2013
Where our wheels go
No but the hard drive is not the same as in a laptop. the laptop hard drives have extra protection to prevent the needle and platters from moving during your moving
The Dish Hopper w/Sling installed in our motorhome has been in use since 2014 and has about 50,000 miles behind it with zero problems. The hard drive retracts the heads on the HD platter at power down.

Reactions: QCK
M

mellaby

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 20, 2007
Calgary/Mesa
Thanks for your reply. However, I am using Shaw - not Dish. Does this change your response?
According to the sat maps, you should be able to pickup G1 sat OK. You will need a new PVR (830). The F2 sat is dying quickly and all channels are going to be moved to the G1 sat with new coding that only the 830 has. Good luck.

Reactions: c-spand
harshness

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
It is likely to be a sub-optimal solution to tote the LNB back and forth. The unconnected cable probably won't fare all that well if you don't protect the exposed end (slather it with dielectric grease and/or terminate it with a coupler and a cap).

Reactions: Foxbat and c-spand