LNB Drift, any stop-gap solution???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
oops ... Then you have more serious problem.

That's exactly what I was thinking. This really sounds like he has a problem with something else between the dish and the receiver. I'm thinking a bad barrel, ground block, RG59 somewhere, sucked out fitting, possibly even a bad receiver. (Although that's the least likely thing in my experience.) To the OP, do you have enough cable to run a temporary line from the dish to the receiver? That will narrow down what's wrong, plus if that fixes it, it will allow you to watch tv until the tech gets there.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I was thinking. This really sounds like he has a problem with something else between the dish and the receiver. I'm thinking a bad barrel, ground block, RG59 somewhere, suced out fitting, possibly even a bad receiver. (Although that's the least likely thing in my experience. To the OP, do you have enough cable to run a temporary line from the dish to the receiver? That will narrow down what's wrong, plus if that fixes it, it will allow you to watch tv until the tech gets there.

First, I appreciate your input, thank you for taking the time to consider my dilemma.

I'm not sure what a new cable run would resolve. My dish is mounted about three feet off the ground under the eave and inside an L shape. I have no grounding block and there is only a simple SINGLE run of RG6 (no RG59 here) from the dish to the receiver. There is, I guess you would call it a diplexer, a small device that takes a single cable and outputs two for hooking up to the vip622 dual tuners. I'm guessing that is why I can't get the single LNB to work, the 622 is 'looking' for two signals coming in???

Anyways, the signal strength of each sat position is good, 75% for 119 and 110, and 50% for 129 which is really good. I can even run a check switch AND system info with only the DP Plus (2 head) hooked up with the in being fed by one of its outs, both checks finish with strong signals and 'good' (no drift detected). Yet, I still am stuck at the 015 screen where it keeps cycling between the two sats but never finishes. I would think this information would rule out a problem with the cable or the signal being the problem. But, I could be wrong as I'm not 100% certain they are related.

This setup was put together three years ago and nothing has changed with it. Everything is the same as it was the day before it quit working. In fact, I was watching TV that late morning, ran to the post office and when I returned, it was dead.

I'm willing to troubleshoot and try anything, but I guess I just don't understand how it can be a cable problem if the sat signals are strong and if the single LNB is out of the loop, I can even get past the system info screen with no problems but still can't pass the 015 screen.

Am I missing something?

George

Well, how long you did keep the 015 screen ? I would give it a 5 min for start.

hehehe... I left it on that screen for hours, overnight even. I would just turn the tv off and leave the receiver on all night. Next morning, still on that screen.

George

Damn ! Replace the &^%&5ing receiver.

Yea, I think it is something with the receiver as well. But, I'm stuck and am forced to wait until the DN rep gets here Thursday evening.

Have a good one,
George

Well, good news and bad news...

Bad news? It wasn't the LNB's although a replacement of both LNB's did eliminate the drift issue, we still could not get past the 015 'acquiring sat signal' screen. The rep then replaced the cable connectors and checked the 622's connections. Still nothing. Rebooted a couple of times, and tried unplugging, still nothing.

Good news? He then went to his truck and brought in a brand new vip722. Hooked it up, made a call or two and viola', back in business.

More good news? I had called DN Corp. on Tuesday I believe and let them know what was going on, she offered a $49.99 credit (how she came up with that amount, I have absolutely no idea).

So, a week without any service, a replacement vip722, and a $49.99 credit. Now that I'm on this side of it, doesn't seem so bad.

Just wanted to report the resolution. Thank you again to all who contributed in trying to help me out, I appreciate it.

Have a good weekend,
George

Well, good news and bad news...

Bad news? It wasn't the LNB's although a replacement of both LNB's did eliminate the drift issue, we still could not get past the 015 'acquiring sat signal' screen. The rep then replaced the cable connectors and checked the 622's connections. Still nothing. Rebooted a couple of times, and tried unplugging, still nothing.

Good news? He then went to his truck and brought in a brand new vip722. Hooked it up, made a call or two and viola', back in business.

More good news? I had called DN Corp. on Tuesday I believe and let them know what was going on, she offered a $49.99 credit (how she came up with that amount, I have absolutely no idea).

So, a week without any service, a replacement vip722, and a $49.99 credit. Now that I'm on this side of it, doesn't seem so bad.

Just wanted to report the resolution. Thank you again to all who contributed in trying to help me out, I appreciate it.

Have a good weekend,
George

Great to hear! I'm glad you got it resolved, and got a better receiver to boot.

I hope you documented what you "did" to your 622. There may be others that are interested ... ;)

I hear ya'. But, I really didn't do anything this time. It was working fine one morning, ran to the store and when I returned, stuck on 015 screen. Rebooted, unplugged checked cables etc..., eventually called DN and was scheduled an appointment. A week later guy shows up and replaces both LNB's, same story. Unplugs the receiver and reboots it, same story. Checks all the cabling, same story. Replaced with 722 and everything works. When he called in to get the new receiver activated, he caught some flak from whoever was on the other end of the line. I could hear them complaining about installing a 722 for a defective 622. He said that he didn't have any 622's anymore because they (DN I guess) discontinued them.

Just got lucky I guess.

One thing though, I'm still missing my local channel information. Seems like it should have come in by now, it's been 96 hours. Anybody know how to force it to load the local off air channel guide?

George

When he called in to get the new receiver activated, he caught some flak from whoever was on the other end of the line. I could hear them complaining about installing a 722 for a defective 622. He said that he didn't have any 622's anymore because they (DN I guess) discontinued them.

How odd. I NEVER install 622s anymore because there are limited work orders that call for them, and I don't want them rattling around in my van for a week, or have to deal with returning them to the warehouse. I always install 722s, and not once have I gotten hassled by the call center. I wonder if the tech who came out was a sub. I hear they hassle them more than us. Or it could have been an incompetant CSR. Imagine that. :rolleyes:

I too have quite regularly replaced a bad 622 with 722. Sometimes because the warehouse doesn't even have a 622, sometimes because I just don't have a 622 (or didn't order any). I have never had anyone give me a problem with this. In fact, even DASH lets me do it with no CSR necessary.

Same thing here. You didn't notice if it was right after the 5.11 upgrade did you?

I was stuck on screen 015 (acquiring signal) forever.

All my Check switches came out fine and system status reported good. Just could not get through the acquire signal screen.

I had even plugged in an older receiver and it connected fine.

I Did every kind of reset available and tried every cable combination including going directly into the back from my 61.5 but nothing worked.

Last thing I tried was to bypass the sw21's and ran my 110/119 cables into the receiver. After my check switch and going to acquiring signal it was still trying to connect to the 61.5 sat during that process so I then reset "Factory Defaults" and then it acquired satellites 110/119 and downloaded the guide.

I then turned it off hooked it back up through my SW21's, ran check switch and acquired satellite. Now I can cancel my visit!

I think it was the "Reset To Factory Defaults" that did it and I'm pretty confident that it occured after the 5.11 upgrade. Now I have to figure out how to get my HDMI working again, moving the box around to switch cables caused it to go out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)