LNB Drift...Is Dish Tech support answer correct?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
Hi. Last month I upgraded to a 622 receiver. I wanted to see what software version that I had. When I went to the System Information screen I noticed that it said: "LNB drift detected", and it displayed the following error message:

0x0e, 0xA1, 110 (e -7.31) (o 0.00), 119 (e -7.35) (o 0.00).

I think I am correct in assuming that this means the LNB oscillator drifted by 7.3 MHz for both the 110 and 119 satellites? Since then, I have been tracking this drift, and I have noted that it varies with temperature. I live in Connecticut and we have wide temperature variations this time of year. When the temperature is in the 30s, the drift is about -4.2. Today, the temperature is about 70 and I got the error message shown above (e -7.35).

I called dish network and the tech support guy said that this was OK. He said that the amout of drift that I was seeing was nothing to worry about. When I asked him what amount of drift was considered to be out of spec, he said 8.00. When I pointed out that 7.35 was pretty close to 8, he said that he has even had customers with drift of 7.99, and that was OK!!

Did I get the correct info on the LNB drift? Does anyone know how high the drift needs to be before I will have a tuning problem?

LOL!! In otherwords, if it's greater than +- 5, BUT less than +-12, then get it replaced.

Our latest rules are like the first post. If it is greater than 8.00 then we sound out a tech for free to replace as long as signal loss is occurring. Less than 8 says we don't replace or send tech. But the numbers can change.

Our latest rules are like the first post. If it is greater than 8.00 then we sound out a tech for free to replace as long as signal loss is occurring. Less than 8 says we don't replace or send tech. But the numbers can change.

When did this change? Or is it the tech must replace while its +/- 5 while on site?

Cheese must of moved again. :confused:

This is a case where Dish gives too much information. The OP mentions nothing about signal loss... Dish should replace parts because it might happen someday ??

My typical rule of thumb is that if the receivers reports ANY drift, whether it's .10 or 10.0, replace it. It will only get worse as time goes on. I've been replacing 105 Superdishes with dish 1000s for the last month because of 105 LNBs drifting or taking a crap all together. I actually ran our warehouse out of 105 lnbs cuz I was taking them all! So I had to start putting in dish 1000s ;) The way techs get dinged for repeat trouble calls these days, it pays to go with the old saying, "When in doubt, swap it out!"

My typical rule of thumb is that if the receivers reports ANY drift, whether it's .10 or 10.0, replace it. It will only get worse as time goes on. I've been replacing 105 Superdishes with dish 1000s for the last month because of 105 LNBs drifting or taking a crap all together. I actually ran our warehouse out of 105 lnbs cuz I was taking them all! So I had to start putting in dish 1000s ;) The way techs get dinged for repeat trouble calls these days, it pays to go with the old saying, "When in doubt, swap it out!"

Especially so down in that part of the state. I always hated...HATED!...installing the SD105. Temperamental and ornery cusses, those things are. The *only* advantage I felt the 105 offered over the 129 is the LOS issue. That extra 7 degrees of elevation made it very nice.

Question, I have 2 receivers a 301 and a 211 connected to 2 500's via a DP34 for 110/119 and 61.5, the 301 tells me I have lnb drift, the 211 says everything is good, why would not both receivers report the same findings?

Bob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)