LNB For KU AOR Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ACRadio

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
Near Asheville NC
LNB For KU AOR Dish (Project)

I put this in the C band section due to the dish being a prime focus.
Over the years I've been playing with different configurations for my KU Atlantic Ocean Region dish. It is an 8 ft Channel Master SMC with left hand drive that can cover 12.5W to around 103W. In the past I have used an Invacom TWF-031 with an Invacom C120 prime focus feed. The configuration worked quite well but with only 2 outputs it could only work with 2 dedicated receivers, and I had a couple others that I wanted to have connected. I then tried a double ortho configuration with a set of low band and a set of high band LNB's. That worked well, but I became irritated with having 2 different dish positions for each band.

The last year or so I've been looking around the European forums, and the talk of the town has been the Inverto Black Ultra as the amplifier of choice for weak signals. Before burying my bundle of wires last year I made sure it contained 4 coax lines for that dish, so a quattro with separate outputs for each band/polarity seemed to be the thing to do. I have a pretty big power supply so I don't need built in voltage polarity switching...that will be done with the multiswitch.

The problem I then faced was the Inverto didn't come in a C120 flange version and I wanted to use the Invacom prime focus feed I had handy. So how could the Inverto be converted to prime focus? It was evident the offset feed would need to be chopped off, thereby voiding the warranty. We experimenters always have to take a chance I guess. My first thought was to cut off the offset feed and not use a flange at all and just mate the waveguides together somehow. That was going to be the plan until I considered having a machinist cut the offset feed off, then turn and thread the waveguide to accept the threads from the prime focus scalar. There would be less waveguide loss that way.

The conversion was successful and preliminary testing is very encouraging. I have to extend the mounting screws on the feed support as I'm still about 0.6" too long on the focal length but signals are great even with the long focal length.

Pic 1 is the naked LNBF with a cut mark applied to mark where to cut the offset scalar. Pic 2 is the scalar cut off and the waveguide turned and threaded. Pic 3 is the LNBF with the Invacom prime focus scalar attached. Pic 4 and 5 are of the installation after bringing the focal length to the required 38.5".

After today's tweaking...
My test satellite is the signals on the Spot 2 beam of Intelsat 903 at 34.5W. This beam is aimed to the Eastern Caribbean and Northern South America. I'm WELL to the North of this beam, and even 1Captain (who reports most of the signals on this satellite) is just on the edge of the footprint. Before, I could only lock 2 of the signals and they both had errors. Now I can lock every signal on that beam with the exception of a single data signal, and I'm not even sure my receiver could lock it anyway. All signals are error free. I'm extremely pleased with the results.

pic01.jpgpic03.JPGpic02.JPG2012-09-25 15.04.12s.jpg2012-09-25 15.04.23s.jpg

Last edited:
Wow !
Just realized who was posting, and read it immediately. :)

At first, I thought you were looking for ideas.
Was going to ask for a picture of your new LNBF, thinking maybe you might cut off the scaler rings, drill holes in the back plate of the scaler, and attach the AF-120 by its flange.
But I like your solution much better. ;)

Congratulations.

edit: what receiver are you using?
The microHD seems to have a pretty hot front end.

Last edited:
The main receiver I use for hunting is a Prof 7301 loaded up with the Crazycat suite of products. Then I have an AZ Ultra and an S10. The S10 is mainly used for audio services on AMC 8. I can pull out an S12 if I need to but I just keep it around in case I need to throw up something quick. Maybe some day I'll look at a Micro...

This was a fun little project, and kudos to the machinist...he did a jam up job under difficult circumstances trying to chuck up something of this shape. I've been thinking about this project for about a year, and finally decided to quit procrastinating. Next is the domestic KU 8 ft SMC. It will be an ortho with a set of NJR PLL's. Pole is up, just got to work on the mount.

this might help everybody

You probably have the NJR's already.
If not, how 'bout getting your machinist to mate the inexpensive SatAV PLL LNBF to your ortho? ;)

Yea I've got the NJR's, and 2 spares, and 2 spares for the spares...:)
This ortho is a piece that isn't seen too often...a true Chaparral orthomode KU prime focus feed, complete with little blue cap. There is (or was) one on eBay a few days ago, and it was the first one I've seen there. I have one of the "other" brand of cheap PLL LNBF's and it works pretty good...it's on the AMC 16 dish. But of course the big problem is they aren't offered in a dual output flavor...which would be a must for me.

Edit: It looks like the Avenger brand is now being offered in a dual output....

Last edited:
options for others

The SatAV PLL is single output.
But with an orthomode feed horn, two of the LNBFs do the job.
If I recall, the only dual available, is Universal. Still no dual Standard.

Maybe mating the dual universal PLL to another AF-120 would be the ticket.
What does that quad Universal cost?
If its not bad, some might follow your lead, even if they can't see Atlantic birds. ;)

The Inverto Black Ultra Quattro is around $52 shipped from Europe...got it from a sat dealer in the UK on eBay. There is a Black Ultra and a Black Premium...2 different LNBF's. The biggest difference in this LNB and the line of cheap PLL's is the Phase Noise. The Black Ultra has Phase Noise specs that are in line with Norsat/NJR/Cal Amp, while the cheaper LNBF's are about 10db back. But of course that comes at a cost difference. On the other hand the Black Ultra is only rated at +- 1 Mhz stability, but in testing I saw it was correct to about 200 khz...but I haven't had time to observe how much it drifts with temp changes...

I like the LNB setup you have on the other dish in the back. I would love to have one of those... I just don't have the $$$. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts