LNB/LNBF type and use.... question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johann12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
NC, USA
I decided to buy me a KU dish / set-up to get started with FTA, at least for now.

The target would be a WS 9036 Dish, it would be used in Hickory NC,
For now it will be a stationary dish, with a motor added at a later time as money will allow.
Since the set-up will be stationary at this time I thought of using 1...2...or 3 TV's for now.

1) What Kind of LNB / LNBF would I need for KU ?
2) What is the difference of a LNB and LNBF ?
3) What is the difference of a single....twin ....dual Lnb / Lnbf?
4) Does a single LNB/LNBF only support H or V frequencies and not both ( H and V ) at the same time ?

Since the set-up will be stationary at this time I thought of using 1...2...or 3 TV's for now.
I have 6 TV's. All are stuck watching the same "channel" because of the way it's hooked up. No need to watch different.
1) What Kind of LNB / LNBF would I need for KU ?
A Ku LNBF is preferable.
2) What is the difference of a LNB and LNBF ?
An LNB is bolted to a "feed" where there's a electro-mechanical "servo" that will select polarity. An LNBF is electronically selected by the LNBF voltage.
3) What is the difference of a single....twin ....dual Lnb / Lnbf?
4) Does a single LNB/LNBF only support H or V frequencies and not both ( H and V ) at the same time ?​
If you're considering multiple receivers, to watch different channels on the satellite, you'll need a dual output LNBF and a multiswitch. Lots of good info here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/133554-switches-simplified.html

FAT AIR
Thank you so much , for the link.
Very informative with good drawings, explanations and comments.

The way I read it, ... for a newbie like me, it would be best to stay away from a universal LNBF.

Also, since I am planning to start out to have a stationary dish and planing to serve up to 3 TV's, a multi-switch with dual LNBF would be a easy way to connect every thing together.

A universal type isn't needed for any domestic satellite. Only needed for some Atlantic satellite with some "spill-over" to N.A. I would suggest just one dish-one receiver- first. Get it working, with the receiver/TV at the dish, then add the switch and the extra receivers.

So the simplified easy version should be like this, if I understand you right.
A standard dual linear LNBF, diseq switch, 1 receiver, 1TV,

Johann,

You can even leave out the DiSEqC switch at the beginning. Makes it a lot simpler to start out. Some switches are cheap junk and you could get a dead one out of the box. If you're just starting out, no need to complicate your situation. Start with the barest necessities and build as you learn. You'll do very fine this way and you won't overspend. If the receiver comes with a freebie switch, just keep it handy for now. Don't install it, but don't toss it either. Hold on to it until the time is ready.

Start out with a non-motorized dish and practice aiming it at all the different sats. Trust me on this, that experience will provide you with excellent skills so that when you do decide to install a motorized dish, you will have a great technical background and understanding of where the satellites are across the horizon. This will simplify your setup of the motorized system. It is satellites 101. Take the 101 course first and then move up as time and money allows.

RADAR

Johann,

You can even leave out the DiSEqC switch at the beginning. Makes it a lot simpler to start out. Some switches are cheap junk and you could get a dead one out of the box. If you're just starting out, no need to complicate your situation. Start with the barest necessities and build as you learn. You'll do very fine this way and you won't overspend. If the receiver comes with a freebie switch, just keep it handy for now. Don't install it, but don't toss it either. Hold on to it until the time is ready.

Start out with a non-motorized dish and practice aiming it at all the different sats. Trust me on this, that experience will provide you with excellent skills so that when you do decide to install a motorized dish, you will have a great technical background and understanding of where the satellites are across the horizon. This will simplify your setup of the motorized system. It is satellites 101. Take the 101 course first and then move up as time and money allows.

RADAR

Fat Air gave me this helpful link ( Lots of good info here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air...implified.html (Switches Simplified).
And what I seen and read, it would be easy to use a dual / twin LNBF.
If I use a dual / twin LNBF as far as I understood then I would need a switch to combine both outputs of the LNBF together......Is this right ?
Now if I use a single LNBF and no diseq swith, does it mean I would not get no V or H frequency ( only one ,but not both at the same time) ?

An LNBF is electrically selected by the LNBF voltage. This is automatic with a FTA STB. so a LNBF with a single output, or a single coax connection to a "dual output LNBF, will get both polarities. No switch is needed,

Fat Air
Thank you for letting me know.
I read it somewhere, but I did not comprehend or it did not sink into my brain what it actually meant.
Now, thanks to you I know how it works and how it could/can be applied in reality.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts