LNB Power?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

21st Hermit

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 26, 2005
Colorado
Does anyone know how many watts a typical LNB sucks off the receiver? My "new" 612 DVR sucks 38 watts just plugged in. That's about 25% more than the 512 it replaced and I still haven't added the third LNB for HD.

I personally have not measured it, but I have seen it posted here that the typical receiver draws about 50 watts. It doesn't matter whether the receiver is on or off. It draws virtually the same power either way.

Dish three orbit with switch I measure with a probe around 30 watts. This is just with a current probe clamp and confirmed by a DP 44 switch power supply

Dish three orbit with switch I measure with a probe around 30 watts. This is just with a current probe clamp and confirmed by a DP 44 switch power supply
Bit confused, does this mean 3-LNBs use 30 watts? Therefore 10 watts per LNB. If so most of the receiver power is not internal, rather to the LNBs.

Thanks for the reply.

If you look at the DPP 44 it's external supply is rated around 30 watts as well 18 volts x 1.65 amps approx 30 watts

That's DC voltage. I bet if you look close, it says something like 18VDC.

The converter sends either 12, 16 or 18 volts to the dish DC. The LNB sends a block of frequencies back to the receiver creating a wave guide in the coax. Depending on what channel you are on determines what LNB and what block of information that gets sent to the box.

The converter sends either 12, 16 or 18 volts to the dish DC. The LNB sends a block of frequencies back to the receiver creating a wave guide in the coax. Depending on what channel you are on determines what LNB and what block of information that gets sent to the box.
Why 12 or 16, and not 13 or 18?

Using 10W per LNB seems like a lot for a small solid state device.

I'm presuming you could use a Kill-A-Watt meter in line with the DVR power cord & measure the power. Then disconnect the coax so that the LNBs are not drawing any current & then measure what the DVR uses. The difference should be how much the LNBs use.

I do recall using a Kill-A-Watt meter on my 722k DVR and it used something like 40-50 watts when off & not much more when on. I don't know why it has to be powered up all the time.

It has to be powered all the time so that every time you turn on the TV you're not staring at an acquiring signal screen for five minutes. Plus it has to be ready to record on time.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I have an old style 1000+ dish with DPP33 (don't need 118). The difference between the receiver alone and the receiver powering the switch and dish is 18-19 watts. This quick test does not isolate LNB and switch power. My guess is the integrated LNB/switch units would be less power.

The UPS I run my satellite dish has a watt meter which is where I get the numbers. This UPS also powers a Mac Mini (running at the time of the test), Blu-Ray player ("off" at the time of the test), VCR ("off" at the time of the test) and A/V receiver ("off" at the time of the test). Hopper was "off" at the time of the test. Power with the dish was 59-60 watts. Power without the dish was 41 watts. IIRC, the last time I measured each component, the Hopper used about 40 watts with the dish connected. So the Hopper alone (without dish components) is about 20 watts.

It has to be powered all the time so that every time you turn on the TV you're not staring at an acquiring signal screen for five minutes. Plus it has to be ready to record on time. Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

The above is true However the LNB is kept active also to prevent moisture build up at extreme cold temperatures. This also allows the LNB to stabilize the temperature and the local oscillator frequency by dissipating heat from the LNB circuitry . Lastly it allows continues updated to the converter box

The current in the new dish would be more since both of the following is active at all times

13v. 11.25 GHZ. Vertical. IF=950-1450 MHz
18v 11.25 GHZ Horizontal IF=950-1450 MHz

This was not true in the older technology

The above is true However the LNB is kept active also to prevent moisture build up at extreme cold temperatures. This also allows the LNB to stabilize the temperature and the local oscillator frequency by dissipating heat from the LNB circuitry . Lastly it allows continues updated to the converter box
I live solar-electric and simply don't/can't allow a continuous 40 watt draw from any device. Therefore I have an inline switch on any and all devices that have a ghost load. I live on a daily energy budget of ~3KWH. A 40 watt DVR would represent 1/3 of that budget.

In the case of the DVR, I put up with the 5-min satellite acquisition time. Been doing that for the last dozen years. Never had a moisture problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts