LNB problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MuDvAyNe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Long story short. For the past 2 months I have been having major problems with my satellite system. I have been through 4 lnbs. I believe dish keeps giving me used ones also because I have seen them and they look pretty scratched up. It seems every 2 to 3 weeks my 110 signal goes out. Could the problem really be that these LNB's are already past their prime or am I really just having sh!tty luck? The first two went out after a pretty bad rain / snow storm. The third one survived a good snow storm, then a few days later it just died. This one went without any weather problems at all. I am just glad I haven't had to pay any money for these LNB's.

The 110 going out is the only problem you are having? What exactly is happening? I would say that 4 is pretty far out there. I think there is another problem somewhere. What receivers do you have? What is the condition of your cable?

Two months ago I got a 721. My old system could not support it because I have 3 other boxes already hooked up besides my 721 reciever. (SW44 switch). So I had a tech come over and he said he could put up another dish for me and what not. From the looks of it, it seems a cable is running from the old dish to the new dish he put up. (Could this be causing the problem?)

edit: As of late last night and today 110 is showing up fine on tuner one but a no go on tuner two. The switch says DDP-Twin for the 721 box which is connected to it's own satellite.

Last edited:
Definitely a bad cable/connection, bad receiver or there is a splitter in the line somewhere that needs to come out.

What dish do you have?

Dish 500. The same tech has come out since he lives near me... maybe he has no idea what he is doing lol?

well i wasn't home and the same guy came. I was told that he just had to tighten the screws but for some reason he had another piece in his hand... (my guess of course would be another LNB lol) Anyway he said if it happens again he will move the satellite to a new spot... I guess I will be seeing him in 2-3 weeks lol.

Somethings sounds funny. I dont see why there should be a cable from the new dish to the old unless it is a ground. Is the cable from the new dish to the 721 new? Any splitters or barrels in it? Is it RG6 cable?

Do any of the receivers on your old dish have problems?

I use to have a 301 receiver in the room where the 721 is now. The 3 other boxes work flawless. I have never had any problems with them. The signal is always in the 120 range on those also. I had the 301 in the room with the same cable wire for about 3 years before switching over. Never had a problem as stated above. The wire is RG6. I am not sure what a barrel is, but since it is only one line and the 721 is dual, the cable is connected to a splitter and then plugged into the tuner 1 and tuner 2 port in the back of the box.

A barrel is just a in line splice coupling (Cable screws on each end). This needs to be a high frequency barrel, usually blue on the inside. The splitter as you call it is a DPP seperator.

So the wire is new RG6 then? What is the wire that goes from the old dish to the new dish.

Do you have a tree or anything else just left of the new dish??

Last edited:
The wire is the original wire that was installed 3 years ago with the 301 box. To the left of the dish is another house. (The original dish is about 4 feet higher but to the left of it the house would still be in it's path) I am as clueless as you with the wire running from the old dish to the new one.... I don't see a visible switch on the new dish so maybe he is running it from the old switch?

Here's the answer.

Boba is on the right track.
Legacy switches don't work with a Dish Pro Plus Receiver using a DP Plus Separator.

You should have Dish Pro LNBs and a DP44 switch. Dish Pro Plus equipment is the only equipment that allows the use of a separator to make two lines.

His 721 isnt connected to the SW44 switch, its connected to the DPP twin on the 2nd dish. There should be no coax wires from the new dish to the old. There can be a ground wire though.

I would say at this point it must be the receiver or line. If you say the line is RG6 I would check if it got nicked. You might also test the electrical outlet the 721 is plugged in. Have seen outlets that were defective pass too much voltage and hurt equipment.

Idk but from the looks of it the wire is coming from the sw44 switch and then seems to go into the new dish.

well it could be a ground wire like you said. If I took a picture of it would you be able to tell
?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)