Status
Please reply by conversation.

Guitar playing jimmy G

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 15, 2016
Kaleva Mich
Hi guys new to this forum , have a question on lnb,s , just put up a c band dish that was my great uncles , purchased 4DTV 920 receiver , pick up one analog C Span , do I need to replace lnb ? Is it not digital capable? ThanksThanks Jim G

Please don't shoot the messenger, but you are about 15 years late to the party.
All digital subscription from the system that your receiver used was turned off late last summer. Your box may pick up an analog signal from C-SPAN, but that is about it. It can be used as a dish positioner. You do need a digital Free To Air receiver, and I would recommend a PLL type C-band LNBF such as the ones made under the Titanium label, to solve the questions about whether or not your old LNB is stable, as well as make for easy C band switching. The current crop of available FTA receivers is getting thin, but I would suggest if you can locate a Manhattan DJ-1997 or a Linkbox 9000i, it would be a good start. Both can also do some limited Internet TV and audio reception too.

Welcome to the site Guitar playing jimmy G!!!
Yep, Mike has gave you the unfortunate news. Don't let that discourage you though.
Head over to HyperMegaSat.com and grab one of those receivers. He also has the Titanium LNBF's or you can purchase one from the link in my signature.
You are getting into a fun hobby!

Thanks guys , just wished I would have checked this site before I bought the 4DTV receiver , live and learn, did find some Manhattan recievers on eBay ,

That blows man. Hope you can return it. If not then use it to move your dish around and get you a different box.
Seems the market has shifted. Cheap boxes are not so easy to get at this time like the X2 V, X2 mini.
I do not think it is worth dropping 3 or 4 times the money on a Linkbox or Manhattan.
You can order a cheap receiver from China. The menus are a pain in the ass but do work.
The box has some issues with locking up but works well for a 30-40 dollar receiver.

I disagree. $120 - $200 is a realistic and very fair price for a well developed and licensed receiver. I wouldn't suggest that any satellite newbie randomly buy a receiver.

Carefully read the member reviews before selecting a STB. Just because a receiver is touted as the best and most powerful doesn't necessary mean that it is... it is worth the time to do some reading and learn from other members research and testing.

Saving a few bucks suddenly becomes a loss when buying a receiver that no member has experience with to help you, popular channels can't be received or don't have audio. :(

If you have a large C-band dish you would need a dish mover anyway so the 4DTV fills that need. All you really need now is to piggyback an FTA receiver onto the 4DTV and you should be good to go. If you search around the Internet there are websites that illustrate how to do it. I'm piggybacking my FTA onto a 4DTV and it works fine. The day may come when I need to change out the LNBs but for now I'm still using what I installed 20 years ago, they still work fine. Use what you have now to get up and running, then you can decide if you want to go with a PLL LNB later. Titanium is right, spend the money for a good receiver like the Manhattan or Linkbox, especially as a newcomer.

I disagree. $120 - $200 is a realistic and very fair price for a well developed and licensed receiver. I wouldn't suggest that any satellite newbie randomly buy a receiver.

Carefully read the member reviews before selecting a STB. Just because a receiver is touted as the best and most powerful doesn't necessary mean that it is... it is worth the time to do some reading and learn from other members research and testing.

Saving a few bucks suddenly becomes a loss when buying a receiver that no member has experience with to help you, popular channels can't be received or don't have audio. :(
Speaking as a newbie I agree with titanium 100%. By now i probably owe him and KE4EST a case of beer each from all the help they have given me with trying to get ancient dish movers and cheap Chinese receivers to work all because i was trying to save money. These guys know what they are talking about, and believe me when i tell you sometimes there is a lot of frustration with those Chinese boxes. just my 2 cents. I can tell you that before I purchase my next receiver ill wait and see what the new crop of receivers does before i jump in and buy one.

Well all i can tell you is what everyone else recommended to me, and that was the linkbox 9000I. I know that Manhattan is supposed to be releasing a new receiver just after the first of the year. As far as i can tell either one will be reliable, and both have north american support. I think the Manhattan is on sale right now for $99.00 from hypermegasat.com. I have also been told good things about the geosatpro hdvr 3500. If you arent going to be buying another receiver in the near future probably the linkbox 9000I, but you probably wont go wrong with either the linkbox or the Manhattan.

My first Manhattan was DOA. Was replaced by the seller without any problem. The replacement lasted about 60 days and died. I now have the Linkbox 9000i local running for about two weeks. Not a statement that the Manhattan is bad, I was just not lucky. ANY manufacturer can have a dud. I was unlucky to get two of them. The best receiver I have ever had was the Amiko Nano. Ran 24 hours a day for years. Not made any more. The 9000i local is nice if you are also an over the air(cable cutter)and have a good outside antenna. It will pick up your dish and your local channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)