LNB & temporary signal loss

bxl4

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
Bainbridge Island, WA
Can anyone help me diagnose a signal loss problem with my 500 Twin/722 set up. It seems to only happen on one satellite and one spot beam. Trees _could_ be a problem but I'd think that would see trouble on other channels and I don't. Also weather was clear and winds low when the signal was lost. Tests say signal strength in the green. Nothing has been changed on the system for 6 months or so.

I am tempted to just get a 1000.2 and swap it out in case it is an LNB problem. They ARE getting long in the tooth. Would the 1000.2 reflector area be bigger and help me with signal strength too?

You have provided very little information. How old is your system, what satellite and transponder is giving you problems? How many receivers are connected

> You have provided very little information. How old is your system, what satellite and transponder is giving you problems? How many receivers are connected<

The dish/lnbs are about 9 years old. The only receiver is a 722, about 6 months old.
The satellites that I'm getting signals from are 110/119.
The problem seems to be exclusively on 110 tp #4 (Seattle HD locals) but that may be due to the fact that is where our favored programming comes from.

On Tuesday when I had two simultaneous recordings in progress, one lost signal and stopped a few minutes into the hour while the other continued (with a bit of pixelation now and then) for another 40 minutes before also ending with "Part of the recording has been lost due to loss of signal."

Diagnostics show locked, "green" signal strength, but when looking at it in real time on the "point dish" screen, numbers would sit in the mid 40's and then suddenly drop down to the low teens for a couple of seconds and then back up.

2nd level tech support at Dish couldn't figure it out and wanted to roll a truck. I can put in a new 1000.2 for less money if it seemed likely to be the source of my problem.

Thanks for reading and offering your thoughts.

If you look behind your dish, sat 119 is what the dis is pointing to and 110 is 9 deg to the left. Any branches or leaves in that LOS window will mess with your signal.

Yea, there are _some_ branches from the neighbor's maple tree, but it is pretty mature and since I can't do much about HIS tree, I went ahead and bought a 1000.2 dish and will install it on the corner of the house that gives the best LOS.

Bigger dish, better LOS, newer LNBs-one of these will fix my problem I suspect.

Thanks all for your diagnostics and ideas.

Bill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts