LNB Types

trinidex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
I'm looking for technical information on the types of LNB used for the following systems, and despite my efforts, I have failed. Can someone please help? :confused:

I would like to know: LNB Frequenices (input/output), polarity type and polarity switching type (volts/tone) for the following:

DirecTV USA
DISHNetwork USA
DirecTV Latin America

Thanks in advance

The D* and E* LNBs down convert 12.2-12.7GHz from the bird to 950-1450Mhz and 1550-2150Mhz (the latter specifically to the Dish500) at the dish. Polarity is either right-hand circular or left hand circular controlled by the IRD. This is done by placing either +13 or +17 volts on the line from the IRD to the LNB. In the case of D*'s Para Todos (18x24 - separate multi-switch) or PhaseIII dish (18x20 - integrated multi-switch), the multi-switch which has the ability to place a 22Khz tone on the line, in addition to voltage, to switch between multiple satellite locations (SatA 101, SatB 119 or SatC 110).

Not familiar with D* Latin America, but if it is a DTH DBS signal, the properties would be the same.

Thanks for great info CablerMN. I'm confused by "12.2-12.7GHz from the bird to 950-1450Mhz and 1550-2150Mhz".
How does it down convert to both ranges?
Does the LNB down convert both requencies at the same time or is it switched somehow?

BTW, I found (finally!) this information on D* Latin America:
11.45 to 12.2 GHz down converted to 950 to 1700 MHz h/v polarity

Something else I was wondering...

If I take a h/v polarity LNB and rotate it 45° will it operate correctly as a circular polarity LNB?

Likewise, if I take a circular polarity LNB and rotate it 45° will it operate as a h/v polarity LNB?

No and No.

In most situations, one LNB cannot be switched for the other. However, I have seen some hobbyists do some really neat things with stuff that isn't designed to work the way it did. I think PSB had some links to those types of things. Pete, please feel free to chime in!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)