LNB vs LNBF

Status
Please reply by conversation.

equant

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Tucson, AZ
This seems like a FAQ question, but wasn't able to find it. What is the difference between LNB and LNBF and how do I tell which I have?

Thanks,
Nathan

I think that a LNBF has voltage control (13/18v) to change polarities while a LNB can't

I believe that is the main difference between the two

LNB = Low Noise Block-down-converter
LNBF = Low Noise Block-down-converter + Feedhorn

A feedhorn is basically a metal funnel that guides the incoming signal to the actual antenna stub inside the throat of the LNB.

The "F" means built in feedhorn. A LNB attaches to a separate feedhorn. See attached pictures. You will see the bolt holes for attaching a LNB to a feedhorn. One on right is a LNBF - with no bolt holes.
Bob

Attachments

• LNB.jpg
    LNB.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 4,775
  • LNBF.jpg
    LNBF.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 4,794
sloppy use of English

...and the problem comes from us casually using the term LNB when we really mean LNBF.

Hmm, thanks for the explanations. I suppose I'm still not sure what I have, but maybe when I go take a second closer look, I will be able to tell.

Why does my 4Dtv want to know (setup) if I have dual C/Ku LNB vs dual C/Ku LNBF? How does one vs the other affect what the receiver sees or does?

Thanks a bunch,
Nathan

...and the problem comes from us casually using the term LNB when we really mean LNBF.

In the other forums I participate (that they're european, and the majority of them are not English) we call it LNB too. In fact, it's something strange here that people haves (or needs) a LNBF. Most dishes here are offset and "small" (compared to a BUD ;)) so they don't need a LNB at all, but we call them LNB instead of LNBF.

Hmm, thanks for the explanations. I suppose I'm still not sure what I have, but maybe when I go take a second closer look, I will be able to tell.

Why does my 4Dtv want to know (setup) if I have dual C/Ku LNB vs dual C/Ku LNBF? How does one vs the other affect what the receiver sees or does?

Thanks a bunch,
Nathan

The main difference in a 4DTV land is a LNB has 3 wires to control polarity. The LNBF does not :)

Thanks a bunch,
Nathan
The 4dtv receiver needs to know if you are using voltage switching vs polarotor (servo motor) switching. If you do not have a servo motor, then you should set it up for "C-Band and Ku-Band LNBF's" (which is what I think you have?). If you have a servo motor, then set it up for "C-Band and Ku-Band LNB's". Either way, be sure you have separate cables for each (C-band and Ku-Band). Good Luck!

Al

A couple of points about LNBs VS. LNBFs:

An LNBF has the feedhorn attached, as was noted previously. Most DirecTV and Dish Network dishes (with the exception of DN Superdishes and International DTV dishes) use LNBFs exclusively. The advantage of the built-in feedhorn is ease of installation (just clamp the neck into the LNBF holder) and lower cost.

The advantage of the separate feedhorn/LNB combination is that you can use a feedhorn tuned for the particular shape of the dish you are using (for example the elliptical Channel Master dishes and their feedhorns), and install an LNB of your choice on that feedhorn.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts