Status
Please reply by conversation.

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
This is just a hypothetical sort of question....(sort of):

I've been checking several Ham radio operator sites, and have seen several home brew circular polarization feed horns made out of coils of copper tube or wire. This has got me to wondering if it might be possible to do the reverse...Could an old circular Direct TV LNBF be torn apart and converted to linear polarization?

I have three things going against me in this. 1.) I don't have any sort of an analyzer to work with anymore. 2.) I'm not nearly as smart as most Ham operators. 3.) I don't have a "bad" linear lnb to tear apart to see how it's designed.

I assume that a linear LNB has two probes, one for horizontal and one for vertical?

Anyway, I've done extensive searching on the web and came up empty. This makes me believe that it probably is an impossibility.

Doesn't it seem a shame to have all of those discarded, free for the taking, pay systems floating around with nothing to use them for? I am going to use one LNB for the NASA channel...that leaves quite a few more for some other use that I haven't discovered yet.

Is this idea completely irrational? Maybe it's completely stupid - I don't know... Has anyone ever experimented with doing this?

Thanks in advance.
Tim

Shawn,

Ha! So much for my searching ability! Thank you. It figures that the answer would be right under my nose.
I only scanned the post. Just came back to thank you. I'll be going back to read it in depth now.

Thanks again!
Tim

OK. I'm back. I'm also pretty excited about this.....I think that I'm going to start scrounging up every DTV lnbf that I can find.
The links to the pictures seem to be dead :( but there is still more than enough information to get started. Maybe CharredPc, Ken2400,or Sidha might be able to post an update? I might do some PM's after I ruin a few LNBf's :)

Thanks again!

Status
Please reply by conversation.