LNBF is supposed to be where?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I AM rather perplexed, that I haven’t seen “one” LNB that does it all. Seems to me like you’d need at least two, the first to catch the full spectrum of linear (10.7/12.2) and the other to get circular (12.2/12.7), am I right there? Also, I wonder if I’ll really want to view the upper band, I’m not too sure how much FTA is in that area. WOW, there’s SO much I need to do/learn yet
There is only one satellite that needs the low band (10.7-11.7) and that is PAS9 for Cubavision. The Invacom quad (QPH-031) does 11.7-12.75) KU and circular

Houston said:
This may be a silly question but, I noted in your signature, that you’ve mounted your Dishes on “movable” tripods. If you don’t mind, just what advantage is that, who knows, that may be an option for me? I hadn’t thought to just bring the stuff inside!
The main reason they're on tripods is that I live in a travel trailer and move around. This week I moved the trailer from Vegas out to a marina on Lake Mead. I took a job working out here for the season. Only the internet dish is set up right now so all I can get FTA is NASA and some music. (110 and 119 lnbs are attached to the internet dish) There are obstructions (other trailers and a few trees) that would block the other dish from most of the sats. I think I'm going to have to rig a mount to the side of the trailer and put the motorized dish up above the trailer roof while I'm here. On the tripods the bottom of the dish is only about 5 feet off the ground.

The tripods are surveyor's tripods with an adapter on top that offsets the dishes so the center of gravity is close to directly above the center of the tripod. They're ballested with 7 gallon water jugs because they're light and easy to transport when you empty them. This a pretty much a standard setup for an RVer with a satellite internet connection. You can see info on this type of setup for internet at http://www.rvnetworking.com/Products/StarBandSatProd.cfm My starband one looks just like the one in the picture except they're using weight lifting weights instead of a water jug for ballest on that one. The FTA one is the same tripod and offset adapter, just a fortec 90cm dish instead of the 75e one that starband uses.

Thank both of you for the replys!
Interesting stuff hwh, I always like to see how setups are done, never know when that little bit of info, will help somewhere sometime.
PS:
Gee, i bet it's real tough putting up and taking down those Tripods! A few weeks in Vegas, then at Lake Mead, you may have to go to Tahoe or maybe somewhere else, that we'd want to be, rather than tieing stuff down, to keep it in our yards! :)

Last edited:
Iceberg,
Duuh, OF COURSE!, I had that information right in front of me, and didn’t realize how few of the lower Freq’s were even in my FOV until you pointed that out! My LNB goes from 11.7 to 12.2 which falls right in the Linear Band of just about all Sats from 60° to 148° GSO. I guess I was trying to get it all.

There are about 40 Sats in my FOV, and from what the numbers tell me, I’ll probably only be looking at about 6 or so of them. Those with more than 10 FTA Channels on them, in a language I can understand, anyway!

I “think” I’m going to be watching AMC-5, AMC-3, IA-5, Anik-F1R & Anik-E1, Gal-10R, as far as the quantity of FTA. Do you agree, given that I can’t do Circular, yet?

AnikF1 & E1 don't have anything that a free to air box can get. There are some channels free there but they use a different "encryption" to pick up and our boxes do not get those.

AMC5, AMC3, IA5, IA6, AMC4, G10, IA7 are ones that have some English channels on (IA6 has news feeds)

Iceberg,
Thanks for the direction on “what to see”. But, as I looked up the Programs for AnikF1, I saw a F1R also. Is that the same Sat?

I'm not sure what happened !?

This is a copy from another Thread, questions which i ask, but, the Thread was closed. So...

I checked out the Invacom site, and copied info on some of the LNB’s. I think I may have misunderstood some info I got in the past, and now I’m not sure that the SNH or TWH LNB’s will do Circular, will they?

Is the key word “Polar”, when it comes to the LNB’s ability to receive Circular? I was just trying to select a LNB which didn’t have any more “works” than needed, in looking at the Single and or Twin. I want to keep my system as compact as possible, which inadvertently will keep the cost down, that a MUST!

If I have to go with the QPH which has four outputs, what do you do with the extras? Just cap um off, and wait till you need um, if the first goes out, or what? I do understand it was made for 4 Receivers, presumably from a fixed Dish. But what value would that be, with a single Motorized Dish/Receiver?

And, from what I can tell, the Quad (OPH) is a lot more expensive than the Single (SNH) or Twin (TWH). I Must try to avoid any more cost than necessary, got to buy a Motor too.

Additionally, my dish says the F/D is .64, and the Invacom SNH-031 says it’s a .6 F/D. In your opinion, is that within reason, an applicable substitution? Just how much “give” is there in the F/D. My Dish has about 2cm in/out adjustment with the Spitfire LNB, I suppose that’s good, though I don’t know if that will exist, if I use one of the Invacoms?

Also, I don’t know what you meant by “ITC TV”.

Iceberg,
Sorry, I only got Bailing Wire and Duct Tape, think that’ll do? J It works on my old Pickup truck!

I wonder if “accidentally” is an appropriate term to use, when it comes to “them forgetting” to turn the encryption on. I’ve experienced some situations like that before, and I think it’s more like “bate”. They let you see all that wonderful stuff for a short while, and then cut it off, in hope you’ll buy their plans. It’s also possible, that the operators “play” with that stuff too, on and off occasionally, just to mess with us? I think that some Receivers scan automatically, and if a new Channel appears, it’ll let you know, is that right?

As you may know, I have to write these replies off line, and post them the next day, because of my limited time online. I’m not sure what “DMSI” means, but I’ll check the Glossary when I copy this post to the site.

Tron,
Thanks for the “legalities”.

A general thought:
In looking at the signatures of some of the Members, I see where they have several Dishes, multiple Receivers, and no doubt all the switches and devices to “collect” that data for viewing.

It appears that I may run into some problems/expenses, in an attempt to “get it all” with just one Dish, Receiver, Motor and TV. I can understand adding/combining a C Dish into the system, or maybe duplexing a Ku/C LNBs on one Dish, but, just why would so many Dishes and Receivers be necessary, am I missing something here, am I trying to make that simple system do too much?

Of course it is possible that those things are “asexual”, and just multiply on their own. :D

Last edited:
I have a dish fixed on G-10R so I can instantly switch to it regardless of where on the arc my motorized setup is.

IA-5 at 97w is another favorite satellite for people to aim a fixed dish at.

The reason I have multiple dishes is I am a college hockey fan and it seems like some weekends there are 2 games on 2 different satellites.

Also, since I have multiple receivers, I'd like the one in the computer room and the bedroom to always have G10 so I have a fixed dish there :)

Umm, from what you say, seems like the Motor(s) may be a little slow, getting where you want them. I’ve read the “travel” info on some, but at my present level of experience, that didn’t mean much. I do see on the HH120 specs, that it moves 1.1°/s, which means (I think) it would take it 80 seconds, to move from 60° to 148° , is that right? I can see why one might have a second dish, on his favorite channel now! (or to view two at a time)

I’ve Emailed both DMS Intl. and Stab, asking about any attachments, or Motors, which might make it easier to get my Dish turning, but haven’t gotten replies as yet.

I DO have other questions about LNB’s, please re-read my #48 Post on page 5 of this thread, I’d appreciate any comments on the Invacom SNH-031 and TWH-031 LNB’s capabilities to receive Linear and Circular signals, and the F/D too!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)