LNBF questions + grounding questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cybersonic

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
I have a couple more questions regarding Ku LNBF:

- if an LNBF description shows it's 'dual polarization', what is that? Benefits?
- for a single dish and a single receiver, i do not need a dual LNBF, correct?
- 'universal' vs. 'standard' LNBF: doesn't really matter in the US, correct?

Annex questions:
- for a single dish with motor and single receiver setup, I do not need any diplexers or DiSEq switches etc., correct?
- I guess I only need a grounding block?
- Grounding of the dish itself, is that done through the RG6 cable that is connected to the grounding block or do I need special grounding for the dish itself?

Thanks!
Chris.

cybersonic said:
I have a couple more questions regarding Ku LNBF:

- if an LNBF description shows it's 'dual polarization', what is that? Benefits?
I'm assuming both Horizontal and vertical polarities
- for a single dish and a single receiver, i do not need a dual LNBF, correct?
correct
- 'universal' vs. 'standard' LNBF: doesn't really matter in the US, correct?
other than Cubavision on PAS9 (58W)...correct
Annex questions:
- for a single dish with motor and single receiver setup, I do not need any diplexers or DiSEq switches etc., correct?
correct
- I guess I only need a grounding block?
yep
- Grounding of the dish itself, is that done through the RG6 cable that is connected to the grounding block or do I need special grounding for the dish itself?

Thanks!
Chris.
I'll let the master installer PSB answer that. I used a ground wire

Chris,
LNB's usually have dual polarization, Horizontal and Vertical (or Left and Right hand for DBS satellites) They are usually controlled by the voltage applied changing from H to V or L to R hand polarization depending on the voltage supplied.

Yes you only need a single LNBF for one receiver and one dish.

A standard and a Universal LNBF do the same thing with the Universal giving you a wider scanning range, it works in two bands and the switching is done by a 22khz tone sent down the cable (as well as the above voltage switching). I recommend a standard LNBF to start with.

No diplexers or switches needed, one coax from the receiver to the motor then a short cable from motor to LNBF.

The system should be grounded in two ways, the mast should be grounded and the coax should also be grounded, a satellite/cable surge protector is a plus also.

http://dbsinstall.com/Whatis/Whatisgood-5.htm

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)