Local Ads on National Channels? Since When?

TheTechGuru

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Texas
I didn't really notice this until all the polical ads. I'm getting ads for Texas races on national channels (200's, 300's). How is this happening exactly and is there a way I can disable it? I'm assuming it has to do with having a DVR since I don't remember it happening when I had a H24. But is it happening since my DVR is internet connected or are they coming over the satellite?

Yea I noticed it a while back as well . On USA and other national channels

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ya, found a old thread so it's been around a while, it just took annoying political ads for me to notice.

I suppose I could plug in a external SATA hard drive and wipe the receiver every morning to get rid of them until after the election...but first I'm going to try the SD feeds and see if they still show up.

While not exactly a way to "disable" it, the system can be outsmarted. What it does is download a bunch of ads to your DVR and "overlays" these over the ad shown nationally. When a local ad comes on, just change the channel, then change it right back. This breaks the cycle and the national ad will play.

Reactions: Fragpole
While not exactly a way to "disable" it, the system can be outsmarted. What it does is download a bunch of ads to your DVR and "overlays" these over the ad shown nationally. When a local ad comes on, just change the channel, then change it right back. This breaks the cycle and the national ad will play.
You can also press your jumpback 10 second button and it goes back to the national feed commercial.

Sent from my cheap phone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: SamCdbs
It's no difference from how cable companies do local insertion.

Reactions: ncted
It's no difference from how cable companies do local insertion.

Except that cable companies tend to jack up the volume way too high...

I remember in the analog days watching a cable show, then some ads, then suddenly 10 times louder a local car dealer commercial comes on yelling! lol

Reactions: dtv757
Cable companies insert ads at the headend, they do not download these to your DVR. In fact, you will see the local ads even if you do not have a DVR with cable.

Reactions: TheTechGuru

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)