Local Channels 7 Dish Network

jblack0815

Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Florida
I am "brand-new" to Dish Network and this forum--so, Hi! I have really enjoyed reading the posts...especially the ones I can understand (I'm not very tech-savvy), but I am learning.

I wondered if anyone tell me how Dish network restricts the local channels I receive. I take my Dish receiver with me when we travel in the motorhome, but I keep losing my local channels. And I have to call Dish to have the channels reinstated when I get back home.

Can anyone tell me how that works? Is the local channels signal geographically specific (e.g., my receiver cannot receive the signals if I am a specific distance away from my home area) or if my receiver limits the local signals I can receiver (based on some signal from Dish)? :)

Thanks

spotbeam, local channels only work within 200 miles roughly of orgin city

ie if you in orlando youll only get orlando channels when you within 200 miles of that city
if further out your usually sol

mainly local channels are geographicly specific

:welcome to satguys :welcome

You may want to look into the RV waivers on their web site. Anyone know if E* still does the RV thing since the distants fiasco?

You need to do the RV thing with NPS now E* has nothing to do with that anymore since they cannot sell distant networks.

I wondered if anyone tell me how Dish network restricts the local channels I receive. I take my Dish receiver with me when we travel in the motorhome, but I keep losing my local channels. And I have to call Dish to have the channels reinstated when I get back home.
You haven't gotten an answer to that part and that's interesting that it happens.... What do you mean that you "lose" the channels ? Are they still in the guide but have no guide data ? That is believable and it might take 12-24 hours to get the data back but it sounds like you have to have them re-activated (since you call Dish). Next time, wait (as long as possible) and see if they return. Maybe because you're out of the spotbeam for them they drop out of "memory" or the tables/listing of what you're supposed to receive.

You haven't gotten an answer to that part and that's interesting that it happens.... What do you mean that you "lose" the channels ? Are they still in the guide but have no guide data ? That is believable and it might take 12-24 hours to get the data back but it sounds like you have to have them re-activated (since you call Dish). Next time, wait (as long as possible) and see if they return. Maybe because you're out of the spotbeam for them they drop out of "memory" or the tables/listing of what you're supposed to receive.

The guide info is not downloaded through the spotbeams. My dealer in PA had locals from NC (he could never watch them, don't know how that happened), the channels always had the guide info up until Dish finally shut them off for him.