Local channels for Binghamton, NY

Status
Please reply by conversation.

piercy67

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Does Directv plan to carry local channels for Binghamton, NY? I having waiting for over a year with a promise they would carry them.:)

Hey, a fellow Binghamtonian...

To answer your question, it's going to be a while before we get our locals, in SD much less. I'd say earliest might be next year, but I'd bet on it being after D12 launches. DirecTV is rolling out the HD locals for a bunch of cities for the remainder of the year. They're not worried about launching our SD locals just yet.

If you're looking for our locals in HD I'd say forget about it, it ain't happening. And yes, I was told early last year that we'd be receiving them soon too. I just don't believe them anymore.

Another Binghamtonian here.

I think eventually D* will skip offering both SD and HD locals and just pickup the HD feed in each city and then send it out for HD customers, and then just center cut it for SD customers with 4x3 screens. Why go to all the expense of running duplicate systems for both SD and HD?

That said, I don't know when we'll see our locals offered by D*. I too think it won't be until after D12 is launched and operational.

I talked with someone from one of the local broadcasters, Elmira, and was told when DIRECTV did a site survey on the prospect of locals that redundancy, a fiber-optic feed to back up the antenna broadcast, was the sticking point. It's not something they can afford.

I really don't want locals because it would mean I would lose the 2 Distant Nets, CBS and FOX, for which I have waivers.

I've given up hope on seeing our locals from DirecTV. Especially since we don't have all networks broadcasting OTA yet, if ever. I'll stick with the NYC Nets via DNS. Yes, I'm one of the lucky ones. I also have an antenna for those stations that do broadcast here.

I agree with the above statement that implies that DirecTV should concentrate on the HD locals for the remainder of the country. It's just a waste of limited bandwidth.

There's no real need to center cut 16:9 content to fit a 4:3 screen, just letterbox it.

piercy67: You may be interested in this forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14810396#post14810396

Last edited:
Local Channels ARE available in Vestal!

Went to the grid at 7:55 pm to switch to an OTA channel and saw that Channels 10, 12, 13, 20, 34, 40 and 46 are now listed in white on a blue background! They weren't there at 6:00 pm.

Called 1-800-531-5000 and ordered them for $6 a month.

Went to the grid at 7:55 pm to switch to an OTA channel and saw that Channels 10, 12, 13, 20, 34, 40 and 46 are now listed in white on a blue background! They weren't there at 6:00 pm.

Called 1-800-531-5000 and ordered them for $6 a month.

Are the channels 10 and 13 from Albany NY? I thought the only VHF channel in Binghampton was 12.

here is the list of channels they get..all from Binghamton
*WBPN (My Network....Low powered..also subchannel on Fox)
*WBNG (CBS)
*CW (CW Washington DC)
*WBGH (NBC...low powered)
*WIVT (ABC)
*WICZ (Fox)
*WSKG (PBS)

here is the list of channels they get..all from Binghamton
*WBPN (My Network....Low powered..also subchannel on Fox)
*WBNG (CBS)
*CW (CW Washington DC)
*WBGH (NBC...low powered)
*WIVT (ABC)
*WICZ (Fox)
*WSKG (PBS)

So the 10 and 13 must be the low powered Binghamton stations. Been quite awhile since I was up that way, I knew there was a 10 and 13 in Albany. Thanks

BIll
Checking the chart I have "My" is 10 and 13 is the "placeholder" they use for CW...normally its 14. Hmmmm

DirecTV and WBNG have not come to an agreement for carriage of WBNG (12) and The CW (13) so those have now been removed. They were up for one day.

And the charge is now $6 for locals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)