Local Channels optional

How much is a Tivo Roamio?

TiVo just ended a big sale for upgrading lifetime legacy receivers to the new Bolt or Roamio for a crazy discount.

I traded a Series2 lifetime and a malfunctioning HD Lifetime for 2 TiVo Bolt 500Gb receivers for just over $250 each.

Reactions: charlesrshell
A Roamio OTA unit goes on sale quite frequently for around $300.00. You can buy one with a 1TB drive on Amazon for $350 right now. That's a good price, and a larger drive than the original Roamio's.

Or, you can wait for another sale, when the price will drop lower by about $50.00.

If you buy one from Amazon, do so from THEM, not from one of the sales partners or whatever they are called. Too many scams going on, where they are buying them with stolen credit cards. Months later Tivo finds out, and disables that unit.

A Roamio OTA unit goes on sale quite frequently for around $300.00. You can buy one with a 1TB drive on Amazon for $350 right now. That's a good price, and a larger drive than the original Roamio's.

Or, you can wait for another sale, when the price will drop lower by about $50.00.

If you buy one from Amazon, do so from THEM, not from one of the sales partners or whatever they are called. Too many scams going on, where they are buying them with stolen credit cards. Months later Tivo finds out, and disables that unit.
Go thru SatGuys forum Amazon link too.

What is meant by "dual tuner". My OTA dongle picks up my UHF stations just fine, but completely ignores my VHF stations. The VHF stations are very close and very available when I connect the antenna directly to the TV.

What is meant by "dual tuner".

Dual-tuner means the adapter has two OTA tuners on-board instead of just one, which means you can watch and/or record two OTA channels simultaneously. The original OTA adapter only had a single OTA tuner, meaning you could only watch or record a single OTA channel at a time.

I'm confused. For a long while now I've been charged $10 a month for my locals and didn't notice it till I really started looking at the bill. So is this all part of just dropping locals for dropping locals or is there also going to be the $10 charge dropped for those of you that are not paying an extra $10 a month for locals? Also I thought they had to provide locals by law? So for me, this whole local is thoroughly confusing.

Plus doesn't this undermine the whole concept of Primetime Anytime? That's a Sales Point down the tubes.

They started so showing a $10 charge for locals some time ago but it still wasn't removable. Soon it will be.

I'm not aware of any law requiring locals. Maybe there is and it says they must be "made available". A customer choosing to drop them is their choice, not Dish's.

Same with PTAT, it's the customer choosing to drop them, so PTAT isn't likely something they're concerned with. That said, local channels are much, much more popular than many seem to realize and not that many people use OTA as many here would believe.

That said, local channels are much, much more popular than many seem to realize and not that many people use OTA as many here would believe.

Its decent of them to allow dropping locals for those that don't want them. Honestly, though, it wouldn't surprise me if the real end game here is Dish hoping to add a data point to negotiations with local stations to be able to say "When given a choice, xx% of our subscribers don't even want/subscribe to your channels"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)