local channels question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jpaulstc

Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Salisbury, MD
ok...i got everything working but years ago when i had d* i was able to get abc,nbc,cbs and fox both east and west. how do i go about getting these channels again?

thanks
shane

You may be able to qualify for the East Coast feeds if your area stations give you waivers. Call DIRECTV and have them look into it for you.

Looking at the TV station situation, your chances of getting distant ABC and CBS are slim to none. What stations do the cable operators carry (by call letters, please)?

Last edited:
ok...i got everything working but years ago when i had d* i was able to get abc,nbc,cbs and fox both east and west. how do i go about getting these channels again?

thanks
shane

You can't anymore.
Thats NOT a D* choice, in case your wondering.
IF you are in a major city, you can normally get them from D* thru your sat or with an OTA set up, but you can no longer get the NY and or LA feeds without proving that you cannot get a local signal and then you have to get waivers from the networks you want and pass them along to D* to get them and you can get one or the other.

Jimbo

the reason i ask is because i cannot receive local channels as i do not have a antenna. the nbc and fox waiver were granted but i still cannot access them...is there another way to receive local channels? would my receiver not being connected to a phone line have anything to do with not getting the 2 channels?

thanks
shane

the reason i ask is because i cannot receive local channels as i do not have a antenna. the nbc and fox waiver were granted but i still cannot access them...is there another way to receive local channels? would my receiver not being connected to a phone line have anything to do with not getting the 2 channels?

thanks
shane

If you have waivers, then you would have to PAY D* for those channels. They just do not come in for free. The Gov't cracked down on sat providers providing out-of-market broadcast stations. You now have to prove you can't get a signal or get a waiver to receive the distant East/West feeds.

If you have waivers, you PAY to get either the East or the West coast feed of the broadcaster that gave the waiver.

Or if you have one of the newer units with a built-in ATSC tuner (or the AM21 add-on) then you can hook up an antenna thru the DVR and be able to record you own locals as well until D* does add yours.

the reason i ask is because i cannot receive local channels as i do not have a antenna.
That you don't have an antenna doesn't make any difference to the FCC, the networks or DIRECTV. If you want the networks that you didn't get waivers for, you're going to need an antenna.

Depending on where you live with respect to the towers, it may not take much of antenna.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)