Local Dish retailer says new Hopper OTA adapter to be released January 24

The 'manufacturer' is either Dish or Echostar.

Not necessarily, it might be branded Dish/Echostar, but they could have contracted it out to any manufacturer. I am not even sure Echostar has ever had any manufacturing plants that they operated, even back in the old TVRO days.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: comfortably_numb
If it's not a Hauppauge, then at least the two shared the same case manufacturer. ;)

My money is on Hauppauge with different drivers on-board for the Hopper, hence the "real" Hauppauge not being recognized by the H3.

Dish:
dual-tuner-ota-adapter-png.122894

Hauppauge:
upload_2017-1-31_8-21-4.png

Not necessarily, it might be branded Dish/Echostar, but they could have contracted it out to any manufacturer. I am not even sure Echostar has ever had any manufacturing plants that they operated, even back in the old TVRO days.
I put 'manufacturer' in quotes on purpose. Nowadays, this device, or ones like it, can be produced in a literally no-name factory that does all contract manufacturing. They may make a run of these dongles this week, next week make USB cables, the following week make something else.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I put 'manufacturer' in quotes on purpose. Nowadays, this device, or ones like it, can be produced in a literally no-name factory that does all contract manufacturing. They may make a run of these dongles this week, next week make USB cables, the following week make something else.

Or it could be manufactured by Hauppauge.

Or both copied the chip manufacturer's reference design, Or both are using the same source manufacturer, Or..., Or..., Or...

Doesn't really matter, Dish's price is comparable (less in most cases) than the Hauppauge part.

Still, I might pick up the Hauppauge part on the way home and see what happens.

Doesn't really matter

The reason why I believe it matters is because my experience with Hauppauge dongles has been sub-par. Inferior tuner when compared to the original Hopper dongle, 211k, and my TV's tuner. It also had a tendency to run hot. I returned it and got a HD Homerun. So, that's why I am asking the question on manufacturer. If it's Hauppauge, I'm going to be wary of it until I see side-by-side comparisons

Still, I might pick up the Hauppauge part on the way home and see what happens.
Someone already tried. It didn't work (the Hopper didn't recognize it was plugged in).

Unfortunately they don't / won't tell us who makes their stuff.
There's no need for Dish to indicate that either. They very well may have purchased a design, had the f/w slightly modified to appear as their own, had the drivers updated to match the f/w, and had it produced by a contract manufacturer that met their price and delivery requirements. Happague (??) may have licensed it to them (based on the similarities). Even Happague may have their unit produced by an unknown manufacturer.

This one actually lets me "edit" the OTA station names unlike the old one.
Do the OTA stations stay renamed after a re-scan, or would that reset the names to their default names? I really liked being able to rename stations on my DTV Pal and have the custom names stick even after re-scanning, but I have not seen that feature on any Dish satellite receivers. It has been awhile since I tried renaming any stations on a Dish receiver, though.

The reason why I believe it matters is because my experience with Hauppauge dongles has been sub-par. Inferior tuner when compared to the original Hopper dongle, 211k, and my TV's tuner. It also had a tendency to run hot. I returned it and got a HD Homerun. So, that's why I am asking the question on manufacturer. If it's Hauppauge, I'm going to be wary of it until I see side-by-side comparisons
But still if you want OTA via the Dish receiver, this is it going forward.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Why won't they let you buy two of these, plug them in and activate prime time anytime? I'm probably missing something else other then saving 10.00 a month

Why won't they let you buy two of these, plug them in and activate prime time anytime? I'm probably missing something else other then saving 10.00 a month
PTAT will not work with 4 OTA channels. It involves a single sat transponder which records the network channels on one tuner.

Reactions: DWS44
Finding out who actually made these things is like trying to find out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop...

The world may never know. :D

Reactions: papachops

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts